Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's a joke that we don't have at least a sunday service on Boxing Day. As well as a full football programme there's a f*** ton of racing and there's loads of sales on at the shops for all the ladies. Why don't we have any trains? Is it a union-driven thing or just the TOCs decision.
I can't be arsed to look, but I think there IS a Boxing Day service on some lines (not sure if they're in the south or not). Certainly I can remember going to the Goldstone by train on Boxing Day (from Lancing), and I think our Boxing Day service was still running in the early 1980s.

But yeah, I agree with you - and no I don't know the reason.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I have heard that the FA are digging their heels in and insisting the club fulfill the boxing day fixture as planned and have threatened the club will forfeit the match and the 3 points if they don't. Not sure why the FA are taking such a hardline attitude?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Needless to say the Germans run trains on Christmas Day ...

If only we'd lost the war and we wouldn't be having this discussion ( and we would still have terracing ! ).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have heard that the FA are digging their heels in and insisting the club fulfill the boxing day fixture as planned and have threatened the club will forfeit the match and the 3 points if they don't. Not sure why the FA are taking such a hardline attitude?
I dunno, you do get the feeling that certain people think that we're asking for TOO many concessions and we're a bit of a wussy club. On the telly on Saturday when they were explaining why we had a 17:30 k.o. the announcer said "And the kick off is at five-thirty because Sussex University has an Open Day!" It was said in a tone of amused contempt, as if the reason was on a par with needing to wait for a new delivery of scented soap for the ladies' toilets.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
I dunno, you do get the feeling that certain people think that we're asking for TOO many concessions and we're a bit of a wussy club. On the telly on Saturday when they were explaining why we had a 17:30 k.o. the announcer said "And the kick off is at five-thirty because Sussex University has an Open Day!" It was said in a tone of amused contempt, as if the reason was on a par with needing to wait for a new delivery of scented soap for the ladies' toilets.

And rightly so. After all, it is a bit of a crap reason for the delayed kick off.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
If only we'd lost the war and we wouldn't be having this discussion ( and we would still have terracing ! ).
And this is where the intelligent discussion ends!

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
So is there no way, the club can arrange the Uni car parks being opened, charge say £5.00 per car. So the ones who normally get train at least still have the chance to get there?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I know it's fixtures, but the fact that they've included this game in the Match Package must mean the club has conceded defeat to the FL and will have to stage it on Boxing Day. So we'd all better work out how we are going to get there. A nice crisp Boxing Day walk or cycle to work off some turkey? If you live further away, everyone can park and walk??

PG

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton

Its a good point though, every other club I imagine will have the same issues with travel etc on Boxing Day, I don't see why we should have special treatment, perhaps the FA have the same opinion and think it is up to the club to come up with a plan the same as any other club.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I could understand if it was to take delivery of a coat rail for the Profile Lounge. On this topic I fear there could be another York City style abandonment on the cards if this is not installed soon.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It's a joke that we don't have at least a sunday service on Boxing Day. As well as a full football programme there's a f*** ton of racing and there's loads of sales on at the shops for all the ladies. Why don't we have any trains? Is it a union-driven thing or just the TOCs decision.

The staff get 2 certain days off each year - Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Now, if your being forced to work - you won't without some extra incentive like most jobs with Boxing Day. Im sure you wouldn't like being forced to work for no extra incentive on a day your due to have off.

That and where does it stop ? People will always be wanting more.

Its a good point though, every other club I imagine will have the same issues with travel etc on Boxing Day, I don't see why we should have special treatment, perhaps the FA have the same opinion and think it is up to the club to come up with a plan the same as any other club.

No other club has 80% of its fans using public transport to get to matches - you can't compare us and other clubs.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: P&R Boxing Day?

The football league really won't care if the crowd is only 5000 due to transport issues.

Those that are prepared to walk can park in Brighton as near as they can and do so. Those that physically can't do this have been shafted by the club not asking for an away day when the trains don't run.

Suspect it will go ahead on Boxing day, but be postponed if a just few snowflakes have fallen in Brighton.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The staff get 2 certain days off each year - Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Now, if your being forced to work - you won't without some extra incentive like most jobs with Boxing Day. Im sure you wouldn't like being forced to work for no extra incentive on a day your due to have off.

Well that's not true as there are trains running up to London on Boxing Day, so some people are prepared to work. I've worked many weekends and bank holidays for nothing more than a day off in lieu. In the past there were more routes running on Boxing Day AND Christmas Day so people were willing to do it in the past.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
No other club has 80% of its fans using public transport to get to matches - you can't compare us and other clubs.

I don't think that is a valid reason to label ourselves as a special case and give us carte blanche to change fixtures any time we wish and neither do I see the logic in that fact meaning we cannot compare ourselves to any other club. So what if a lot of people use public transport? That is not the FA's problem. I'm sure there are dozens of other clubs with equally valid reasons not to play fixtures on certain dates but end up having to.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Well that's not true as there are trains running up to London on Boxing Day, so some people are prepared to work. I've worked many weekends and bank holidays for nothing more than a day off in lieu. In the past there were more routes running on Boxing Day AND Christmas Day so people were willing to do it in the past.

There is only a limited (about 9 each way) service between London and Brighton because of the high costs to run a service. I highly doubt much, if any, money is made on this service. And in the past was before there was a lot more union interference, unions would strike if you force staff to work Boxing Day. Weekends and Bank Holidays are totally different to Boxing Day too.

Should bare in mind the amount of staff required to run a service. Train Crew, station staff, cleaners, depot staff, signallers, network rail response staff and transport police are some of the staff what are needed, supplying these isn't cheap.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There is only a limited (about 9 each way) service between London and Brighton because of the high costs to run a service. I highly doubt much, if any, money is made on this service. And in the past was before there was a lot more union interference, unions would strike if you force staff to work Boxing Day. Weekends and Bank Holidays are totally different to Boxing Day too.

Should bare in mind the amount of staff required to run a service. Train Crew, station staff, cleaners, depot staff, signallers, network rail response staff and transport police are some of the staff what are needed, supplying these isn't cheap.

I'm quite aware of all the staff requirements, so it's the Union's fault as I suggested.
The Germans seem to manage it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here