Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would scrap pride altogether but that's me and my views so a problem wouldn't arise.

Simple question why are there no buses do they not have a contractual obligation to -provide buses both for football and the general public.

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
The problem is the fixtures come out too late to start arranging Pride Mid June. There is a simple answer scrap Pride but that will upset a few. I will get to the game by driving and parking somewhere the problem will be if the removal/ tow away men are out on that day. It would help if the council suspend parking regulations from 12 to 6 on that day.

If you park legally, it won't be a problem. Moulsecoomb/Coldean don't have parking restrictions. Not yet anyway.

I'm not sure how far along Lewes Road the controlled parking starts? I suspect the controlled zones start further away than you would care to walk anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have put wife on standby to drop us off and pick us up at The Hikers. As regards the tow away I think there could be many who aren't parked legally due to most residents being at home with their cars so spaces at a premium..

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
As i said, Pride was different this year. It was later (maybe due to the Olympics - not sure) so we wouldnt normally have this problem as its usually the first weekend of August. I think it only started to be organised in June as a new organiser took it over - hope someone can correct me if im wrong.

Pride wouldnt be scrapped for a soccerball game.

Apart from last season (which we asked for) we have only started the season with a home game once in the last ten years. The football season usually starts the 1st saturday in August (it was late this year because of the Olympics) so I think we've clashed with Pride most years - I'd say it's the rule rather than the exception.

I would scrap pride altogether but that's me and my views so a problem wouldn't arise.

Simple question why are there no buses do they not have a contractual obligation to -provide buses both for football and the general public.
We don't know what the agreement with the Albion is, other than the fact that the Albion are required by the planning condition for the stadium to have a Transport Management Group that discusses matchday transport arrangements and that the bus company are members of that Group (as well as the two universities and other interested parties).

Bus services for the general public aren't subject to any contracts with anyone, unless they receive subsidies from the council. None of the subsidised services (which are now mostly run by Compass Travel and The Big Lemon, rather than B&H Buses) is required to provide a Boxing Day service. The buses that B&H Buses do run on Boxing Day are commercial services that receive no subsidy and run to timetables that the bus company decide and register with the Traffic Commissioner. The timetables for Boxing Day 2012 are on pages 102-105 of Bus Times, the bus company's published timetable book.

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Re: P&R Boxing Day?

The staff get 2 certain days off each year - Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Now, if your being forced to work - you won't without some extra incentive like most jobs with Boxing Day. Im sure you wouldn't like being forced to work for no extra incentive on a day your due to have off.

That and where does it stop ? People will always be wanting more.

No other club has 80% of its fans using public transport to get to matches - you can't compare us and other clubs.
I have to work xmas day and boxing day if my shift falls on those days and still don't get paid extra.

Incidentally, on Boxing Day, Bus Route 78 will be running an hourly service from the Old Steine to Stanmer Church (via Brighton Station, Oxford Street and Lewes Road), between 10.00am and 4.00pm.

If you park legally, it won't be a problem. Moulsecoomb/Coldean don't have parking restrictions. Not yet anyway.

I'm not sure how far along Lewes Road the controlled parking starts? I suspect the controlled zones start further away than you would care to walk anyway.
Natal Road (next to Mithras House).

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Wasn't there an article about only 20k attending and they lost money so new sponsors came in

Maybe at the actual Preston Park "gathering" - yes. But a hell of a lot more than that turn out on the streets. Probably the biggest event which takes place in Brighton, along with the Marathon, the Bike Ride and a couple of others i cant remember right now.

Off-topic - but it wouldnt be cancelled

On-topic - there is probably something in the contract BHAFC have with Brighton and Hove (who then contract other companies vehicles to provide extra capacity) about running on Boxing Day - but of course this probably wont ever be made public. Trains is probably different, what with a poster at Brighton Station showing no trains are planned at the moment.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
So it's OK to move a game because Sky want to put it on the TV but it's not OK to move a game that half the supporters can't get to because it's been scheduled on a day when public transport (around which the travel to the ground is based) does not run?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So it's OK to move a game because Sky want to put it on the TV but it's not OK to move a game that half the supporters can't get to because it's been scheduled on a day when public transport (around which the travel to the ground is based) does not run?

That sums up the situation for which whether they like it or not the FL must accept responsibility along with the club.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
There's a piece on the Albion website this morning about Boxing Day. Looks like a case of "watch this space".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's a piece on the Albion website this morning about Boxing Day. Looks like a case of "watch this space".

I will be very disappointed if they move it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I will be very disappointed if they move it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How the f*** is the safety of all supporters the biggest issue?
Typical of this country to trott out "Health and Safety" as a pathetic excuse for anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here