Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Let's be honest. It's a spanking new stadium. We SHOULD be able to stage a Championship match on Boxing Day. And if not, our transport arrangements are cack. We can't be relying on special favours from the FL all the time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Let's be honest. It's a spanking new stadium. We SHOULD be able to stage a Championship match on Boxing Day. And if not, our transport arrangements are cack. We can't be relying on special favours from the FL all the time.

The major problem is that it's not OUR transport arrangements that are the problem, it's mainly the public transport network (or perhaps notwork would be a better name) that's causing the challenge here.

The lack of buses has even put paid to the P&R system.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The major problem is that it's not OUR transport arrangements that are the problem, it's mainly the public transport network (or perhaps notwork would be a better name) that's causing the challenge here.

The lack of buses has even put paid to the P&R system.

I don't understand the lack of buses. Surely when agreeing the contracts with these people it was made clear they would be covering Boxing Day/New Year's Day every other year?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't understand the lack of buses. Surely when agreeing the contracts with these people it was made clear they would be covering Boxing Day/New Year's Day every other year?

Neither do I - but seemingly (from the evidence I can see) it wasn't :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Same here. And if it is the case then how difficult will it be to raise a seperate contract to hire a fleet of buses on Boxing Day?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Given we have around 2000 P&R spaces, 2000 car park spaces and if everyone filled their car up the majority of the crowd could drive. As I understand it neither the car parking or P&R are at capacity. Some local people can walk to a P&R, others can cycle, walk, bus or taxi. Is there really a need to postpone it?

Sorry, Noele, I can't see that your figures don't add up.

While there's around 2,300 'close-by' parking spaces (Bennett's Field, Universities, New Bridge), there is no P&R (which, at capacity, is 1,570 spaces all-in), because there are no buses running them.

You can get extra car parking in at Coldean / Bevendean / Stanmer Park (500 cars?). You can even get some people walking in from the city centre (60-75 mins) or Lewes (ditto). You can get some more people cycling (an extra 200?, provided it's not freezing). Some people may go for a taxi (c. £17 from city centre).

I'll even say for the very limited bus service, you can add, say, 2,000 (around 25-30 bus journeys).

But once those limited car parking spaces are gone, no-one from outside Brighton is catered for.

I'd estimate you're generously around 10-12,000 short of capacity.

Someone correct me if I've got this horribly wrong.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
One thing that confuses me. There were buses to run the P&R when we played on Boxing Day at Withdean. Why is it different for The Amex?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I just hope those drivers who don't want that type of contractual arrangement don't use a restaurant, hotel or pub on those days !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

While there's around 2,300 'close-by' parking spaces (Bennett's Field, Universities, New Bridge), there is no P&R (which, at capacity, is 1,570 spaces all-in), because there are no buses running them.

You can get extra car parking in at Coldean / Bevendean / Stanmer Park (500 cars?). You can even get some people walking in from the city centre (60-75 mins) or Lewes (ditto). You can get some more people cycling (an extra 200?, provided it's not freezing). Some people may go for a taxi (c. £17 from city centre).

I'll even say for the very limited bus service, you can add, say, 2,000 (around 25-30 bus journeys).

But once those limited car parking spaces are gone, no-one from outside Brighton is catered for.

I've got a 7 seater, if that helps.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I fear that if we fail to fulfill this Boxing Day fixture we may never get the chance of a home BD game again.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
My mate said yesterday that the rail companies are given a subsidy to run services on Boxing Day, but it works out cheaper for them to pay the fine for NOT running them than pay to run them.
Increase the fine then :D

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fear that if we fail to fulfill this Boxing Day fixture we may never get the chance of a home BD game again.

Which is ok if the transport situation remains as it is with no trains or buses. Difficult to move it this season as we are playing Watford being shown on Sky on 29th. That is unless they make it midweek later in the season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Suspect it will go ahead with a 16K crowd, and that unofficially they are hoping for a blizzard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My figures do add up if the Park and Ride is operational. If the current contract does not provide buses on Boxing Day then raise a seperate one. It cannot be to difficult to hire the required number of buses can it? After all their will be plenty sitting idle in the Brighton Bus depot. Failing that I'm sure you can hire them from elsewhere.

Do we know for certain that whoever currently provides the P&R buses has said absolutely no?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One thing that confuses me. There were buses to run the P&R when we played on Boxing Day at Withdean. Why is it different for The Amex?

Good point.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I don't think the amount of buses/drivers needed for Withers would cut the ice at the Amex.

As for the poster who suggested it would go ahead with a 16k crowd, well surely not as it would be at least 24k tickets sold, on the current way of stating gates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here