Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul barber q&a matchday thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah I imagine that's what it was, but perhaps if you can't give a rational emotionless response to a 'customer' at that moment he shouldn't have responded within 10 minutes. I would have rather waited for a considered reply.

If it took him all of 10 minutes to reply to an email, you can guarantee he'll have apologised for the delay and rightly so. Just what do we (Tony) pay him for?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah I imagine that's what it was, but perhaps if you can't give a rational emotionless response to a 'customer' at that moment he shouldn't have responded within 10 minutes. I would have rather waited for a considered reply.

Absolutely - most of us have done it at some point though (and far more likely to happen if stressed). Write the reply, don't press send, read it an hour later or the following day......................he seems to like the rapid response though, which possibly contributed........

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Paul barber q&a matchday thread

Voting against was a vote for Albion fans having no (legitimate) option to watch most of our games this season.

You still have that option, but you also have the option to pay if you like.

I really don't see how any open-minded pragmatic Albion fan could fail to be impressed at what Barber has had to say tonight, and the transparency of the club's thoughts and workings.

How many other clubs have done this, or are doing this, around this subject?

He has answered everything in detail (where he can) so clearly looking at the options and has the knowledge to represent the clubs best interests.

I can understand why he might have been a bit short on some of his emails in the early hours of Saturday morning and the weekend as he’s probably pissed off himself more so than he’s letting on tonight

He could easily say sorry if I was a bit short at the weekend for the full house, but that’s his choice.

On another note can’t believe I overlooked “clandestine” in tonight’s bingo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Voting against was a vote for Albion fans having no (legitimate) option to watch most of our games this season.

You still have that option, but you also have the option to pay if you like.

I really don't see how any open-minded pragmatic Albion fan could fail to be impressed at what Barber has had to say tonight, and the transparency of the club's thoughts and workings.

How many other clubs have done this, or are doing this, around this subject?

I agree. The Albion set standards here (in terms of communication to STHs) that should be a benchmark that the other clubs aspire to. Perhaps then there would be less hair-brained Big Picture schemes if other CEOs had to face the fans regularly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought his comments were interesting around Albion wanting to help other clubs in the football league but its complex because Tony doesn't want to fund Championship owners who are wealthier than he is.

1. Who was he talking about?
2. If the Albion want to help (which I think they do as a Premier League collective) they need to start proposing ways this could happen. From PB's brief comments they appear to want a means test applied to owners.

I don't know how they relate to TB on the wealth stakes, but wealthy owners in the Championship include:

The Coates family at Stoke - £7bn+
Steve Lansdown at Bristol City - c£1.5bn
Trevor Hemmings at Preston - c£1bn

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Brighton fan moans that Brighton CEO replied directly to his email too quickly.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
If it took him all of 10 minutes to reply to an email, you can guarantee he'll have apologised for the delay and rightly so. Just what do we (Tony) pay him for?

It took me less to reply to this but I still managed to not be an arse despite your poor attempt at sarcasm.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It took me less to reply to this but I still managed to not be an arse despite your poor attempt at sarcasm.

Nice.

I'm being sarcastic about PB not you, based on my experience of my emails to him where almost regardless of how quickly he responds he apologises for the delay, when I wouldn't perceive there to be a delay.

I could also joke about how the email would be 10,000 words but be written on his iPhone, but it's a tough crowd so I'll not bother.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Have you just received 45 similar emails, whilst digesting a report that potentially screws the club over forever that you have to deal with and with Tony and the Argus trying to get you on the phone to find out WTF is going on.....on your day off ?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I don't know how they relate to TB on the wealth stakes, but wealthy owners in the Championship include:

After I cheated and Googled, you missed 2 big ones - Mittal at QPR ($18 Billion)
Chien Lee Barnsley - £7 Billion

Its more complex than I thought. Maybe a bailout fund with access means tested is not such a bad idea after all!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Have you just received 45 similar emails, whilst digesting a report that potentially screws the club over forever that you have to deal with and with Tony and the Argus trying to get you on the phone to find out WTF is going on.....on your day off ?

This.

I doubt he gets time and a half at his level either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

As it happens I regularly deal with high pressure client issues across a range of complex solutions that have potential high financial implications for my company, 24/7 and I always (as you suggested in your previous note) take care to give a considered response.

And not on a premier league CEOs salary I might add.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Mate, we are now standing at a crossroad, boxing went the same way, it's a matter of time..

I’d argue it’s not a crossroads, but a one way street with a drawbridge at the end.

Seriously though, the games gone and it’s not coming back. What will be will be, but a lot of what I enjoyed about football has disappeared already. It’s a very different beast now, one I watch with increasing indifference as do lots of others I know. Kill people’s dreams and sacrifice sport for business and, at least IMO, we’re all left much the poorer ironically.

Barber and Bloom are excellent custodians of our great club though. Steering the good ship Albion and keeping her afloat in perilous seas. As has been said before by many, we’re fortunate to have them. How they’ve never told a single fan to f uck off I don’t know, we are entitled toddlers half the time with attention deficient disorders. Imagine John Henry or Malcolm Glazer hosting a zoom call with fans? Nah, neither can I!! :lolol:

Last edited:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
We will not be seeing full stadia for a least another season, maybe longer!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Think it was a recent podcast of the Price of Football where EP suggested that whilst the EPL were considered to help out the League One and Two clubs, they were reluctant to help the Championship so much as many of the owners in that division are swimming in money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here