Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People who have impressed/surprised you so far through this crisis (and who's been crap)

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
There are people that have done their best to fight the disease then there are those that do nothing but moan and expect perfection in an extraordinary situation.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not sure I'm getting this Rishi Sunak love in. So he's a good speaker?

Am I right in thinking he got the job because he was willing to take what Sajid Javid was too moral to accept - i.e. all staff being cleared out to make way for Cummings men?

So he's given away loads of money - was there an alternative? Not really, the economy would have collapsed without it. I would suggest universal basic income would've been cheaper to implement and much fairer?

Was it his decision anyway? I would assume not.

Edit: just seen [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION]'s post, so it's not just me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That's our local weatherman. For Yorkshire, but he's Welsh, and very camp. Imagine.

But he's popular, because he's a sound lad.

Had no idea that he was a class drummer though.

Love it.

He seems to have moved to the north west? Not seen him lately.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm not sure I'm getting this Rishi Sunak love in. So he's a good speaker?

Am I right in thinking he got the job because he was willing to take what Sajid Javid was too moral to accept - i.e. all staff being cleared out to make way for Cummings men?

So he's given away loads of money - was there an alternative? Not really, the economy would have collapsed without it. I would suggest universal basic income would've been cheaper to implement and much fairer?

Was it his decision anyway? I would assume not.

Edit: just seen [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION]'s post, so it's not just me.
Completely agree Notters. Good point re Javid.

Sunak was helicoptered in because he's a yes man. Grudging respect for Sajid for not being.

And again, all those praising him, he's currently paid people the grand sum of £0.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Completely agree Notters. Good point re Javid.

Sunak was helicoptered in because he's a yes man. Grudging respect for Sajid for not being.

And again, all those praising him, he's currently paid people the grand sum of £0.

What’s the hold up with the payments?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They were never gonna make it easy were they

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's possible to support both sides here. Think Sunak absolutely looks and sounds the part but he needs to deliver. Same with Hancock, I think it's too early to call either way but they're doing alright.

Starmer has immediately shown the benefit of having a coherent opposition instead of some hardline rabble rousers who only appeal to their core supporters. The public have no appetite for party political sniping and I think they've judged the mood well. Jon Ashworth and Andy Burnham come across very well every time I see them, what they say is always constructive.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
So, anyone who's been impressive in your opinion. Particularly someone who you previously thought was completely useless. Doesn't just have to be politicians but.....

Matt Hancock.

Always saw him as a wet lettuce of a man, completely unsuited to his role.

He has, as they say, stepped up to the plate. The most statesmanlike of the government ministers when delivering the daily briefings and has tried to answer questions as simply and honestly as possible under immense pressure.

Especially liked his answer when a reporter quoted Trump talking about the UK "Well, that is just complete rubbish....".

Up with this sort of thing.

And who's been completely shithouse, apart from Trump as that's a given and he has his own thread (well two threads as he's featuring heavily in the "C**" list"). This isn't about utter *****, just those who have been deeply unimpressive.

Priti Patel

Who has just proved exactly what I've always thought about her. Think as mince and a horrible, horrible person. I still have no idea how she has risen to where she is. I wouldn't trust her to look after my cat for an hour. Even if he was out at the time.

One shot each. Fill yet boots.
I understand where you're coming from re Hancock but that is a totally damning statement of this government.

For that hopeless piece of shit to be the leading light just about sums up the Tory party.

What the hell were people injecting before going to the polls?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ireland doesn't have anywhere near the density of population, London alone has twice the people of the Ireland. Ireland's land mass is 56280 times larger than London. Much less likelihood of meeting someone infected.

I can't find the article to give a link to it now, but will carry on looking. But it took in to account all that sort of factor. And it was based around numbers of deaths per 1000 population. And their population is heavily based around Dublin.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
There's not any way of putting a claim in yet. They are still setting up the systems.

This is just one reason why a universal income plan would have been much more simple and useful.

To be fair, my business got its grant at midnight, last night.

I’ll be paying my bills today.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
this situation has confirmed everything I already thought about Johnson

good as a bit of a cheerleader as apparently people think he's a "character" but careless, complacent and sloppy in anything vaguely resembling a difficult situation

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
as for impressed

Rishi Sunak
Premier League footballers
NHS staff and those who have returned to the NHS to help

unimpressed

Trump (obviously)
Patel
Raab
BBC and ITV journalists

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
To be fair, my business got its grant at midnight, last night.

I’ll be paying my bills today.
Yes, business grants for those paying rates are the only scheme that's actually been set up yet.

Nothing so far re the 80% for employers or the self employed.

You're lucky!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
There are people that have done their best to fight the disease then there are those that do nothing but moan and expect perfection in an extraordinary situation.

Indeed, the unneeded negativity can be exhausting. The latest I heard on the morning radio bbc news today was criticism being levelled at (I don’t know by whom) the NHS volunteer scheme for being “too slow” and detracting from local initiatives. There will be plenty of lessons to learn from this whole situation so we will hopefully be better prepared next time, and no doubt there have been varying levels of competence and incompetence as at any other time, but I don’t believe anyone (save the utter, utter loons) are deliberately being contrary or obstructive.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Questioning things that might have been done better is not moaning and expecting perfection. It is an extraordinary situation, and we are in the right place at the moment but there could well be things that could have been done better...... like being better prepared for a pandemic that lots of people had warned about and expected for a long time.

It is possible to support what is going on and still ask questions. Unthinking support is on the way to be coming a totalitarian state. Am i not allowed to think that Matt Hancock's comments the other day about doctors misusing stocks of ppe equipment were crass and stupid? How to alienate the medical profession in one easy lesson.

Am i not allowed to think it was extremely bad timing for the Home Office to put out a reminder last week that we will be putting an end to immigrants in low paid jobs, and that at a time when we are flying in Rumanians to pick fruit! These are some of the people who are keeping the country going at the moment.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yes, business grants for those paying rates are the only scheme that's actually been set up yet.

Nothing so far re the 80% for employers or the self employed.

You're lucky!

I don’t pay rates, small business grant.
It was granted on Monday, the bank only released it last night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's not any way of putting a claim in yet. They are still setting up the systems.

This is just one reason why a universal income plan would have been much more simple and useful.

Good question, though I think they always said it would take several months to implement.

Might be too late in a few months time. Germany, and I also believe the US, have a simple system. For example freelancers here (think sole traders in the UK) can obtain 5k, no questions asked, after simply filling in your name and tax number. Businesses with 10 or less can do a similar thing but with a higher amount. I know people who had their money within 5 days of the system being announced. It does beg the question, why is taking so long to set up? What is there to set up beyond creating a form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here