Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portuguese Brickies On 1K A Week!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
it probably did mate , but has been enthusiastically adopted by people who work in personnel departments to make them sound a little bit more important than they really are.

:lol:
A bit like logistics companys used to be called haulage contractors.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Both. They have the same right to work here as us and vice versa.

Have you a view on the consequence of this.

Can you not see the problem when one European country has a stronger economy with greater wealth opportunity coupled with the unfettered movement of economic migrants.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What this story displays is the short-termism of British industry. During the recent recession, housebuilding largely ground to a halt. Many brickies left the trade or emigrated, and training places for new entrants were slashed. It's as if someone thought that the need to build things had permanently diminished, rather than been temporarily reduced by a lack of available capital. Now that the construction sector has picked up, there's a skills shortage. Depressingly predictable.

Is the correct answer.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How is it different to a city having lots of jobs and people commuting to it from smaller towns?
Maybe we should help poorer nations to grow their economies as well?
Also why should someone be bounded as to what they can achieve and how much they can earn simply by the place of their birth?

Aaaaah ok thats fair enough, slightly odd but at least you put your cards on the table.

The continent of Africa has a population in excess of 1bn, why dont you allow just one of them to take your job, I am being serious, or are you so unique its just the rest of us that need to allow it ??

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm 25, can I become a brickie? Or is it a trade you need to start when you're 16-18? I'm usefull with my hands, am a hard worker, willing to put the shifts in (can someone please point me in the right direction?). I'm happy to work 12 hrs+, 6 days a week, or is it a trade you need "qualifications"?

Unless things have changed, of course you can become a bricklayer, you will need to go to college and get qualifications, work on site for poor wages to start, probably mix up and hod it up to the brickies, make tea, get cold in the winter, go home without pay if it rains hard..........

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I worked on building sites back in the Uk for 25 years and with many different nationalities and one thing I did learn that was the majority of them were what we call in the trade 'line monkeys'

meaning ****ing useless,glorified block layers

I know quite a few decent face brickwork lads in the UK that don't earn nothing like a grand a week

but of course all the experts on here that have never set foot on a building site know far more than me

Yep, well put. A huge difference between a face work brickie and a block layer, not covered with plaster for a start.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpgA few of us predicted we'd be on £200 a day by Easter (coming ) a few months ago, at long last were catching up with the 5 hours a day lazy plumbers, they turn up at 9 do a bit of work( if they're doing a private job) for an hour then say "just gotta Pop out down to plumbase to pick up some parts for the job" (which in plumbers code means back down the cafe for a full English) ere's an idea.. Get the parts before you start the job you lazy so and so's
Tap tap about for a couple of hours then have the ordasity to say that'll be £500 madam
You lot just as well go to work dressed up as the pic above

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm still plumbing, but I had my own small business since 2002 and most of my work is in occupied houses.
Don't miss site work at all, especially this time of the year.

:) Can not argue with that. On the top floor, no windows, damp, hard hat, glasses, hi viz, gloves (handy when your trying to do intricate work) on top of 3 layers, two pairs of socks etc....site policemen telling you to put your glasses and gloves back on, report to supervisor to get re inducted when yellow carded, put all the brakes on the scaffold, no steps allowed, straining your back whilst pushing said scaffold around uneven floors and objects, when a pair of steps would do the job, filthy site toilets............we love it.

I'm 25, can I become a brickie? Or is it a trade you need to start when you're 16-18? I'm usefull with my hands, am a hard worker, willing to put the shifts in (can someone please point me in the right direction?). I'm happy to work 12 hrs+, 6 days a week, or is it a trade you need "qualifications"?
My grandad was a brickie (foreman bricklayer, actually) and he was always adamant that it was a trade that should reward those with qualifications. I remember my dad asking him for advice about how to build a wall in the garden and getting a very simple answer ... "First you do an apprenticeship ... "

Its the new name for the personnel department that tosspots like dandyman came up with, it stands for human resources.

It's a horrible term that devalues people and treats them merely as assets on a company balance sheet.

What was wrong with the old name - the "personnel department"?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Other than the 100 or so building workers that I have HR responsibility for you mean ?

Like he said. The REAL world. HR what's that. If you can't do the job you are sacked simple as that. You don't get negotiations. Clueless.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
it probably did mate , but has been enthusiastically adopted by people who work in personnel departments to make them sound a little bit more important than they really are.

Spot on. I'm loving the usual suspects trying to tell us about our game,how it works. They're generally being shot down in flames.

Dandyman

In London village.
Like he said. The REAL world. HR what's that. If you can't do the job you are sacked simple as that. You don't get negotiations. Clueless.

The original point was that most bricklayers won't earn anything like 100k. Our building workers get a basic plus productivity pay. Top earners are normally plumbers and sparks. Is your experience different to that?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
The original point was that most bricklayers won't earn anything like 100k. Our building workers get a basic plus productivity pay. Top earners are normally plumbers and sparks. Is your experience different to that?
No the original point was brickies earning1k a week. That doesn't add up to 100k no matter how hard you try!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
View attachment 60766A few of us predicted we'd be on £200 a day by Easter (coming ) a few months ago, at long last were catching up with the 5 hours a day lazy plumbers, they turn up at 9 do a bit of work( if they're doing a private job) for an hour then say "just gotta Pop out down to plumbase to pick up some parts for the job" (which in plumbers code means back down the cafe for a full English) ere's an idea.. Get the parts before you start the job you lazy so and so's
Tap tap about for a couple of hours then have the ordasity to say that'll be £500 madam
You lot just as well go to work dressed up as the pic above
How dare you talk about SIMMOSAYS like that!?[emoji6]

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Jesus wept what will it take for you to "get" it ? There obviously ARE brickies earning £200 a day (which on a five day week equates to around roughly 48k a year with 4 weeks holiday, so where you got 100k from I don't know)but they will be subbies, and not blokes on the cards from your cosy , cosseted clock in ,clock out world.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a horrible term that devalues people and treats them merely as assets on a company balance sheet.

What was wrong with the old name - the "personnel department"?

I couldn't agree more. People becoming resources, end up as just a number, or a unit. When I retired in July, my place at work was reduced to 5.2 units. It's de-humanising.
I labelled them Human Remains.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
you ever worked even ONE day on a building site ,let alone 30 years

you wouldn't know a hard days work if it came up and smacked you in the face

cleaners,bar staff,don't make me ****ing laugh,just an excuse to expoilt people,like immigrants!!!

office snobs,you can't beat 'em can you like modern day politicans,totally detached from the outside world

Are you suggesting cleaners and bar staff don't work hard ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here