Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portuguese Brickies On 1K A Week!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
View attachment 60766A few of us predicted we'd be on £200 a day by Easter (coming ) a few months ago, at long last were catching up with the 5 hours a day lazy plumbers, they turn up at 9 do a bit of work( if they're doing a private job) for an hour then say "just gotta Pop out down to plumbase to pick up some parts for the job" (which in plumbers code means back down the cafe for a full English) ere's an idea.. Get the parts before you start the job you lazy so and so's
Tap tap about for a couple of hours then have the ordasity to say that'll be £500 madam
You lot just as well go to work dressed up as the pic above

Can you have a word to see if they need anyone else? :D

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My grandad was a brickie (foreman bricklayer, actually) and he was always adamant that it was a trade that should reward those with qualifications. I remember my dad asking him for advice about how to build a wall in the garden and getting a very simple answer ... "First you do an apprenticeship ... "

:). Excellent!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If they are as qualified to do it I would have no problem, how can you? Other than not having a job! The best people for the job should be employed.

Dont be daft, most jobs might have 10's, 100's or even 1000's offering the same credentials and you're proposing that Governments should not differentiate between their own citizens in their own employment markets as opposed to any other world citizen.

Its a strange outlook and totally lacking in any vision of its consequences, plus nice of you to give away your job, guess you would demand that my taxes keep you and your family housed, healthy, educated and fed, yeah nice one.

D

Deleted member 22389

No Mechanical Engineers here then. What a skill set we have lost in this country. Worked for one company in 1994 as a trainee Toolmaker. I worked with a majority of older people too, some of them have probably passed by now, but they taught me so much. Even the machines I worked on where still in imperial. I now realise how lucky I was to get this sort of training, it will never be repeated.

It's sad to see the slow decline manufacturing went through in this country and the general disrespect towards Engineering.
Now we have meetings about meetings and stupid job titles. The most productive thing we do these days is make spreadsheets look pretty.

We have lost all our skills in this country especially in Engineering.

No Mechanical Engineers here then. What a skill set we have lost in this country. Worked for one company in 1994 as a trainee Toolmaker. I worked with a majority of older people too, some of them have probably passed by now, but they taught me so much. Even the machines I worked on where still in imperial. I now realise how lucky I was to get this sort of training, it will never be repeated.

It's sad to see the slow decline manufacturing went through in this country and the general disrespect towards Engineering.
Now we have meetings about meetings and stupid job titles. The most productive thing we do these days is make spreadsheets look pretty.

We have lost all our skills in this country especially in Engineering.
I've already brought one of my grandfathers into the discussion on this thread. Forgive me if I now mention the other one who, like his father before him, was a skilled engineer and toolmaker. Having myself worked in an office that was full of "Chartered" Civil Engineers, I simply recall the snobbery of many of them who really seemed to resent the way that the old school skilled toolmakers of the world called themselves "engineers", without being able to wave around the certificates that the big Institutions, like the Institution of Civil Engineers, were so precious about issuing to their members.

This attitude contributed very significantly to the devaluing of the skills that we are talking about.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The industry is full of management. Big jobs are run by management firms. The big sites are top heavy with managers. H & S is a thriving business. Take away the countless chiefs who sometimes outnumber the indians, and the wages would not have been static for the last ten years
Only now has the rate gone up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The big sites are top heavy with managers.

I'm not convinced of that. I reckon on lot of sites the Site Manager is actually short of hands. We waste hour after hour on site waiting for them to come and look at something so it can be signed off, or a decision can be made.

Tough job though - Site Manager - probably why half of them seem to keep going off with stress!

H & S is a thriving business..

That is most certainly true, although MOST of it actually is common sense, and in generally it is a good thing. Some sites are mental though. BAM Construction are just about the worst.

On one of the Olympic sites, we needed to run 100m of cable (into existing tray). First, I had to wait a couple of hours to be issued a permit to work in the area (basement), then had to wait another hour for someone to be available to assist, as the area was designated as 'no solo working'. The tray was 7 feet off the ground, but work stopped after 5 minutes, when the clipboard police decided that working (two steps) up a stepladder was unsafe. We then wait half a day for HSS to deliver some tiny podium steps (0.5m platform), which then got banned from use until the site's scaffold rep had put a ScaffTag on them (even though the thing was only two steps high, and both of us were PASMA carded anyway :jester: )

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That is most certainly true, although MOST of it actually is common sense, and in generally it is a good thing. Some sites are mental though. BAM Construction are just about the worst.

On one of the Olympic sites, we needed to run 100m of cable (into existing tray). First, I had to wait a couple of hours to be issued a permit to work in the area (basement), then had to wait another hour for someone to be available to assist, as the area was designated as 'no solo working'. The tray was 7 feet off the ground, but work stopped after 5 minutes, when the clipboard police decided that working (two steps) up a stepladder was unsafe. We then wait half a day for HSS to deliver some tiny podium steps (0.5m platform), which then got banned from use until the site's scaffold rep had put a ScaffTag on them (even though the thing was only two steps high, and both of us were PASMA carded anyway :jester: )

I hope you wore a hi-viz jacket, safety harness and hard hat.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The xenophobia has to be expected.

It's the snobbishness in this story that appals me. Why shouldn't a bricklayer earn £1000 a week if someone wants to pay it?

What a load of utter twaddle.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hope you wore a hi-viz jacket, safety harness and hard hat.

Safety harness is mercifully only mandatory over 2m, even for H&S-obsessive BAM. All their sites are however, 'Boots, Goggles, Gloves' at all times. As someone above has mentioned, gloves for fiddly work are stupid, stupid, stupid. Literally double the time taken to complete some work, and even then the quality of the work suffers.

This is where some H&S rules really are counter-productive - engenders a 'H&S is stupid' mindset in people, which leads to them choosing to ignore other GOOD rules.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'm not convinced of that. I reckon on lot of sites the Site Manager is actually short of hands. We waste hour after hour on site waiting for them to come and look at something so it can be signed off, or a decision can be made.

Tough job though - Site Manager - probably why half of them seem to keep going off with stress!

Site I'm on at the moment management is far too many. Site managers,assistant managers,contract managers etc etc.
With you on Health&Safety the power these people have is ridiculous. Some of the rules that they bring out are getting beyond belief. Although having said that some things are much better these days.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Advertising £175 a day on argus jobs i imagine thats around sussex, so could quite easily be £200 a day in central london

Dandyman

In London village.
No the original point was brickies earning1k a week. That doesn't add up to 100k no matter how hard you try!

Re-read it, you are correct. Our top earners hit the money by doing out of hours and emergency work so it still seems unlikely that most craft workers are going to sustain £1k a week all year round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here