Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 18-22 / 07 / 20

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Imagine you've been supporting your boy and his grass roots football team a while and suddenly there's a new team in the league. On the face of it they've dragged themselves up from nowhere, behind the scenes though everything is run by a "well connected local businessman". And, in the middle of it, there's this smug faced lad with perfect fair hair barely able to contain his delight at each victory once he reaches the safety of the back seat of his dad's Range Rover.

Throw in some noddy, clueless fans and it's no wonder the other parents are delighted when they finally get their comeuppance because of "injuries" :lolol:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
F--k me, what an outpouring of glee from some of our posters towards Bournemouth's likely fate, and some on here call Eddie the smug one!

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
A perfect summary, all true.

Villa players going down from the first minute when brushed by a feather. Seven tall guys advance to the box.

Rinse and repeat for 90 minutes.

Disgraceful football from Dean Smith. £145m spent and that’s all they offer.

All accompanied by endless prattling from commentators about how Jack Grealish is the most-fouled player in the Premier League, as if he's some blameless victim – and the only way teams can stop his godlike genius is to foul him.

Maybe he's got so many fouls because he spends most of the game looking for them.

One of the ex-Liverpool pundits actually made a decent point the other day. For them, the best midfielders hated getting fouled, as it meant they weren't doing their job properly. If they felt they'd be under pressure, look for the quick release. If they had time and space, look for a positive ball forward. A foul meant they'd achieved neither. Grealish instead deliberately dwells on the ball and draws defenders to him so he can then flop over like a poleaxed tree and claim the free kick.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All accompanied by endless prattling from commentators about how Jack Grealish is the most-fouled player in the Premier League, as if he's some blameless victim – and the only way teams can stop his godlike genius is to foul him.

Maybe he's got so many fouls because he spends most of the game looking for them.

One of the ex-Liverpool pundits actually made a decent point the other day. For them, the best midfielders hated getting fouled, as it meant they weren't doing their job properly. If they felt they'd be under pressure, look for the quick release. If they had time and space, look for a positive ball forward. A foul meant they'd achieved neither. Grealish instead deliberately dwells on the ball and draws defenders to him so he can then flop over like a poleaxed tree and claim the free kick.

I have really rated Grealish when he has played against us. Having watched a few Villa games since lockdown I am not as sure he is as good as I thought, in fact he has been a bit slow witted and shit in most games :shrug:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
For them, the best midfielders hated getting fouled, as it meant they weren't doing their job properly. If they felt they'd be under pressure, look for the quick release. If they had time and space, look for a positive ball forward. A foul meant they'd achieved neither. Grealish instead deliberately dwells on the ball and draws defenders to him so he can then flop over like a poleaxed tree and claim the free kick.

That was Souness. He also said it seemed to him like Grealish didn't have the "picture in his head" that the top players do, hence dwelling on the ball for too long. An interesting analysis, I thought, but the proof will be in how Grealish performs with better players around him. No doubt at Villa he feels like he has to do it alone at times.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Everything I have read on here and in the media since yesterday talks as though Bournemouth are down. Surely it’s not inconceivable they could still stay up? If they can win one game against a team that’s already on the beach, they just need three results to go in their favour. Arsenal to beat Villa, City to beat Watford and Arsenal to beat Watford. Doesn’t sound impossible to me.

It's not impossible, but although Everton have been poor recently, they still haven't been beaten at Goodison since the restart. Bournemouth need to win, something that Liverpool, Leicester, Southampton and a motivated Villa have all failed to do whilst Everton have been 'on the beach' and no team has done during Ancelotti's tenure. Watford have Arsenal in their last game, a week before they play the FA Cup Final. I would expect to see some rested and Arsenal's squad players are very capable of rolling over. The outcome is in no way certain, but my money would be on Bournemouth going down.

Given previous results between the two, it seems absolutely stupid to suggest that Man City could also drop points against Watford tomorrow, but given City's performances against Bournemouth and Arsenal in their last two games, and the way Watford's players tend to rally and go full Troy Deeney Rambo-style whenever they are left without a manager, it really wouldn't surprise me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I agree with that.

Messi gets kicked to high heaven, but loves scoring, creating and simply playing so much, he tries to stay on his feet. Helped by great balance and surprising strength.

Dean Smith and Grealish's coaching sessions must cover exploiting every possible going to ground opportunity. The classic slow down so a marker knocks him, you name it. Not joking, they literally are obsessed with that.

Some aspects of modern football are shite.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was Souness. He also said it seemed to him like Grealish didn't have the "picture in his head" that the top players do, hence dwelling on the ball for too long. An interesting analysis, I thought, but the proof will be in how Grealish performs with better players around him. No doubt at Villa he feels like he has to do it alone at times.

With far better coaching and team-mates no doubt he will shine.

But at Villa he seems to be a going to ground expert, as well as taking entire defences on with a dribble when he decides to stand up, often ignoring team-mates.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
With far better coaching and team-mates no doubt he will shine.

But at Villa he seems to be a going to ground expert, as well as taking entire defences on with a dribble when he decides to stand up, often ignoring team-mates.

I've noticed that since Fernandes arrived, Pogba Is more likely to play the simple pass. I'd expect Grealish to do the same if he had more faith in his teammates.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Zaha's boots are making this game.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Princess Dibley you mean.

So Palace have gone 'agricultural' in an effort to break the losing streak.

cinderella-slippers.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here