Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
After the week we have had, plus Bournemouth winning at the weekend as well as a new manager bounce we would have lost. I feel this is good news for us. To lose all our back room staff, then to lose to Bournemouth then having Palace coming up, having both games postponed really is best for us.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I absolutely agree.

There seems to be a bit of an age split here with younger people viewing this badly.

For me I think it is important that they learn to respect. The Queen dedicated her whole life to service of our country. That is a lesson that is worth learning. To carry on normally does not mark that properly. Kids will remember this, and perhaps learn a bit more about it as a result.

It is the right decision.

And selfishly for us a club a 3 week break couldn't come at a better time.

To be fair, I am not really sure “respect” is followed these days for anyone ( but the first to bleat about being disrespected). Be it anyone in authority, law enforcement, teachers, etc etc.

I really do think it is a glaring example of age although I know people of my age who have zero respect

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So was the decision by the PL and EFL based on respect for the Queen, or a fear that if games went ahead a few idiots may break the period of silence and the bad publicity that would follow.

Given the guidance from the Government there was no requirement to cancel the fixtures and I believe that the PL and EFL have misread the situation. If fans are not comfortable with games going ahead, then they could easily stayed at home. Now many will be out of pocket, and/or unable to make the revised date for the postponed games.

At this rate, those teams in Europe will be playing four games a week later in the season, or playing the under 18s in the domestic cup competitions.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I absolutely agree.

There seems to be a bit of an age split here with younger people viewing this badly.

For me I think it is important that they learn to respect. The Queen dedicated her whole life to service of our country. That is a lesson that is worth learning. To carry on normally does not mark that properly. Kids will remember this, and perhaps learn a bit more about it as a result.

So The West End is not showing respect given that all shows are still running, with a two minute dimming of lights before curtain up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ridiculous. Just creates unnecessary resentment against the royals. Watching the footie on tv at the weekend is exactly what I want to do after a tiring week at work. I won’t be watching fawning royal commentators instead. A show of unity before the match with a minutes silence would have been enough. Now I won’t give the Royal event another thought. People have made plans and not everyone wants to give this news story this kind of prominence.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I absolutely agree.

Shopping, restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, cinemas, theatre...all carrying on as normal. What lesson is being learned again by postponing a few sports matches? :shrug:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Tonight's premiership rugby has been called off.

And reschuled for tomorrow

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I absolutely agree.

I totally disagree. The Queen means absolutely nothing to most young people. They've only known an old lady that does ceremonial stuff they find boring, she has no relevance to their lives but they might have picked up on the fact Meghan is a bitch and Andrew is a nonce.

You shouldn't have to force people to grieve. And there's so much shit going on now in the world cancelling events and fun is not going to endear anyone to the Royal Family.

As for me - a 54 year old bloke - however sad I might feel about her passing is trumped by how much sadder I feel that there is such inequality in British society. The Establishment - royal family, the honours system, the Lords, Tory self-interest and the old school tie network preserves self-interest and brainwashes the people into accepting it.

I get she was an extraordinary woman and I will pay my respects on the day of the funeral, but things need to change and they will change.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I don't understand it myself.

If people want to mourn. Let them. If people don't want to go to matches because they are not up to it, then don't go. If some of the players don't feel up for it, then even let them have the match off. But to stop games across the nation because of this is madness.

Businesses will be hit. People who have planned travel won't get their money back. City fans travelling down to London. Sunderland fans coming down to the Den to name just a couple.

I have full respect for the Queen and what she did for the nation. I would even understand if it was the day of the funeral, but this feels too much. Why should the country, in particular, the sport we love, just grind to a halt?

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
I don't understand it myself.

If people want to mourn. Let them. If people don't want to go to matches because they are not up to it, then don't go. If some of the players don't feel up for it, then even let them have the match off. But to stop games across the nation because of this is madness.

Businesses will be hit. People who have planned travel won't get their money back. City fans travelling down to London. Sunderland fans coming down to the Den to name just a couple.

I have full respect for the Queen and what she did for the nation. I would even understand if it was the day of the funeral, but this feels too much. Why should the country, in particular, the sport we love, just grind to a halt?

All Mid Sussex Youth Football postponed also.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The posh sports can crack on over the weekend though...

Just ridiculous isn't it.

I received emails from my kids schools today saying they have held special assemblies to educate, mark the Queen's passing and recognize her contribution. That's great.

Now they've had that, they've got to come home and be told they can't play football and there is no football to watch this weekend, the things they look forward to the most during the week. But all other sports will go ahead as planned including the Great North Run. There is no logic behind this decision at all and unfortunately it has created a lot of resentment I've seen today amongst a lot of people.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm 55 and I think it is a ridiculous decision. Notwithstanding the impact on fans attending the games, the staff at the stadiums and the businesses that depend on these games for precious revenue in very hard times, the matches would have provided a wonderful opportunity for the game to pay its respects across the country. A unifying moment of reflection prior to kickoff would have been very moving.

What is the correct way to pay your respects? and who gets to decide?

Exactly. I'm 65 and I think it's a ridiculous decision. What's wrong with a minute's silence before the games? Also I'm pretty sure that professional football wasn't postponed in 1952 when George VI died. (I'd have to double-check that*).

Different era now I suppose. That was the war generation when you just got on with it.

*EDIT: Yes, thanks [MENTION=3166]keaton[/MENTION] (Post #215)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
All Mid Sussex Youth Football postponed also.

I understand postponing professional fixtures, but not grassroots and youth fixtures.

I am playing in a Vets rugby match this evening. In line with the RFU guidance issued today, the match will go ahead, but will follow a one minute silence. I am not sure why grassroots football needs to be any different.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I absolutely agree.

I think you're right about a generational split on this - but in some way the younger ones who are indignant that football has been called off are partly to blame. The attitude to death has changed, people have become more needy to be seen to mourn, buy vast quantities of flowers and teddy bears to leave on the streets. When the King died, football wasn't cancelled; respects were paid - a minutes silence, and the fans sang 'Abide with me' and the National Anthem (properly!)
Bring on a needier generation and forward to the death of Diana; football was called off then. Was there the same outpouring of outrage about no football then? Not the same amount of social media, so probably not. Nonetheless, because of publc pressure, a lot of things happened when Diana died. This weekend's cancellations are a legacy of that.
Besides, fans these days probably don't know the words to the National Anthem, let alone 'Abide with me'! - and would probably have to have a minutes applause because a few low-lifes wouldn't respect a minute's silence either.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here