Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Problem with my neighbour

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thank you for all the replies people, has made me feel a bit better, and less wanting to run up the stairs to there flat and having a real ding dong with them!
My friends all read the letters and laugh, but has just got to a point where i think this is nuts, i've got rights surely!?
Me and my flat mate are hardly ever in the flat anyway due to working long hrs/comuting etc.
We have friends over, parties etc but it gets to a point where i was asking my mates to quieten down last fri for the footy in fear of getting more letters of complaint.

I've asked my ajacent neighbours and there all ok and a nice family, if anything i think there the ones making the noises etc, so i felt a bit bad asking them if we were noisy!

Thanks to all again tho, and i will keep things updated.

In the great scheme of things, where you feel your good name and (by the sounds of things) good nature is being wrongly accused, there's little point in getting angry; you'd be merely falling into their trap of getting into an argument. If you've satisfied yourself that you're a good neighbour, you don't - as they say - have a case to answer. It's wholly unreasonable for them to expect you to be silent the whole time.

Moreover, it does seem that the letters from them are totally random - one or two months apart. Does that mean that you are totally silent in between times? Of course not. The issues and problems are those of your nutty neighbour. Agree with all the above about recording letters and incidents.

Aside from that, to coin a phrase - keep calm and carry on. :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
She sounds "like the twisted brain wrong of a one-off man mental".

kano

Jun 17, 2011
I think the only answer is to out-mental her.

Next time she complains answer the door with a rager clearly evident, give her a wink and ask her if she wants you to go get the airbed so you can work out your issues right here in the hallway.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
As stated, send the letters on un-opened to your agents but get the agents to reply to her stating that if she genuinely feels she has a case she should call environmental health and let them deal with the issue and further to that add that you consider the letters and doorstep visits to constitute harrassment and if she persists in her activities toward you, you will have no choice but to take the matter to a solicitor.

If that fails, a stairwell neighbour bashing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pop over to hers at 5am and tell her to stop drilling.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I had a neighbour like this when I was younger and living in a shared house (I have the opposite now though, I am the victim of a noisy neighbour! - another story completely).

She'd write a note and push it under our door, we'd reply and push it back under hers (I'm not sure I ever actually saw her!).
Then she started denying ever getting notes from us [either warning her of planned visitors or detailing exactly the times when events occurred to rebutt her wild accusations]. To ensure the information was getting through, I took to supergluing the notes to her front door.

She stopped writing us notes shortly after the second!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
60 yr old mum , 40 yr old son..............f***ing wierdo's , have a party.

sorry-ronnie-corbett.jpg

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Your neighbours appear to be like typical Palarse fans.... You just can't make them see sense!

Get one of boys to come round and ' do a job' on them both!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I had this same thing when I rented a place at college. Keep a dialogue open with your landlord/letting agent would be my best advice and don't let it stop you living your life normally. Bloody people.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Might be worth your while doing a Land Registry Title search. It costs £4 and is easily done on line. You will then be able to check if she owns the flat, or is a Tenant. If the latter it should give the registered owner's address, and either you, or better still your Landlord/their agent, write to them explaining your issues. If they get in touch with her it might put her in fear of losing her flat if she persists.

Also, there should be managing agents for the block if its not owned by the residents? Get them involved as well.

Alternatively, work as hard as you can and get a detached house at the earliest opportunity!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Knock on her front door and hand her a set of ear defenders - tell her that if she wants complete peace and quiet 24/7 she should start wearing them.............

Having said that I think that if you are in a multiple occupancy building and make substantial amounts of noise between 11 pm and 6 am you're only going to end up creating a rod for you own back - so I'd try and make sure that your parties are held round your mates digs from now on.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Is there a flat above the nutters' flat?

Sound tends to travel downwards more than upwards due to vibrations from noisy equipment tending to be in contact with the floor rather than the ceiling, so in addition to noise leaking through the floor or ceiling, you have an added noise caused by vibrations (including footsteps, speakers, washing machine vibrations, etc) which make the floor itself act like a speaker.

Is it possible the people above them are making the noise and they're too thick to work this out?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You are being harassed. As others have said, keep notes and all evidence. Personally I would write to them explaining that if they don't stop harassing and slandering you, you will consult a solicitor with a view to taking legal action.
Good luck.

Last edited:

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
Video diary!! Tell her to do one!! And report her to old bill for harassing u, ask her out on a date!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here