Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of Lockdown - Feb 22nd

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I will believe all of this if and when it happens - not before.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Family holiday in UK in June - 3 households - 9 people. Likely be fine, right? Says in the PDF that there will be relaxing of social contacts in stage 3 and more emphasis on personal responsibility.

A big thing to keep in mind is "no earlier than..." ie this is the best outcome we can expect

Got something similar planned to you but looking to book something with 3 seperate self contained accomodations on the same site, covers things incase inside multi-household mixing is still banned

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So on the June 21st we can all party like it's 2019.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Having kids back in school is high risk, medium benefit.

There are plenty of low risk, high benefit things they could bring back sooner.

what is higher benefit than children's education?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Will Euro 2021 be pushed back a week or so to after the 21st June?

That's still up in the air. Unlikely there would be much altering in the dates but the question is whether the European tour approach is still used.

UEFA have said nothing changes. The tabloids, as usual, are claiming it could be brought to England as a whole.

Naturally, they have made that up. As The Sun and The Mirror were reporting it so the government were saying no.

That could, of course, change. But Russia would be a just as likely host.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He gets criticised for not taking expert advice then criticised for taking expert advice ...

England's Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Jonathan Van Tam told a coronavirus briefing: "Is there a clear signal in the data of a markedly increased rate of infection or mortality in teachers? No."

Teachers in England and Wales were not at significantly higher risk of death from coronavirus than the working age population, ONS figures covering March-December 2020 suggest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55841748

But those are figures for teachers who have been practicing what social distancing they can, in class groups of 8 or 10 kids (of ‘key workers’ ), not in full classrooms of young adults.

Are you being deliberately dense?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
so lets keep the shops shut. etc. there is a weighing here of children's education, their future and a low measure of risk for teachers. when would you like the schools to reopen, mid April? May? September?

When the teaching staff have been vaccinated. It’s really not difficult.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Medium benefit? Tell that to my 8 year-old granddaughter in Wales who is climbing the walls as an only child.

The Education is only one part of it. The mental health of the child and the worry for the parents - both working from home - all add to it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
He gets criticised for not taking expert advice then criticised for taking expert advice ...

England's Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Jonathan Van Tam told a coronavirus briefing: "Is there a clear signal in the data of a markedly increased rate of infection or mortality in teachers? No."

Teachers in England and Wales were not at significantly higher risk of death from coronavirus than the working age population, ONS figures covering March-December 2020 suggest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55841748

I remember a big discussion on this at the time, but my basic points would be:

1. March-December. Teachers were only teaching full classes for about 30% of that time due to lockdown and summer hols.

2. It's covering deaths, not infections. Most teachers are under 60. Most teachers are not overweight. Therefore it is completely likely that a high proportion of them can survive Covid. But not all are young, and many have health conditions. It's not the case that the classroom environment itself waters down Covid.

3. It just seems ridiculous and quite spurious as a study. It refuses to take into account things like the impact of prevention measures in place. I seem to recall it saying that metalworkers were above nurses in terms of being at risk. I mean, that's not right is it?

Edit - I am personally quite happy to get back in the classroom without my vaccine, although can't say the same for some of my older and more vulnerable colleagues. I just very much dislike that data - it flies in the face of everything we've been told about how Covid spreads and how to avoid catching it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Children and their teachers not dying?

when do you think it'll be safe for teachers and children, and should we keep everything else closed until that time? also is there evidence teachers at higher risk of death, last time we went round this they were one of the lowest risk groups.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That's still up in the air. Unlikely there would be much altering in the dates but the question is whether the European tour approach is still used.

UEFA definitely aren't going to change plans to fit into Boris's made-up schedule, which is what the user seemed to be implying.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why should category 9 parents - already deemed a priority - be shoved out of the queue just so younger cohorts can jump in ?

Pretty much most weeks we hear of people championing different groups of queue jumpers. Just get categories 1 - 9 done first.

It's not queue jumping if the risk of their job is so great that they need a vaccine (c.f. NHS and care staff). If they do NOT need a vaccine then open the schools, Simple.

10 million kids falling behind every day, the kids who might need to unlock the genetic sequence for the next vaccine.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I disagree. I think reopening schools should be the priority, with the greatest long term benefit. Although I would also say that's just my opinion, albeit one shared by others. It could well be the case that's not a fair assessment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here