Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of Lockdown - Feb 22nd

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Education and schooling aren’t necessarily the same thing.

You don’t need to be in a classroom to learn.

a noble thought. reality is a large proportion of children are then depending on the effort and input from parents to teach them. my lad's class is about quarter in class, half online with numbers dwindling each week. that leave a lot of kids falling behind and you can bet they are usually the one most needing school time.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Long term - not much

Short-term - mental and physical health, also small businesses aka people's livelihoods - more could have been done for these throughout all of this, especially now.

so ignore the children's mental health, and the parents, just to focus childless and small business. seems very short-term and short-sighted. and what happens when small business have children to home educate?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
But those are figures for teachers who have been practicing what social distancing they can, in class groups of 8 or 10 kids (of ‘key workers’ ), not in full classrooms of young adults.

Are you being deliberately dense?

Fair point, although some primary schools did admit more pupils at one point. I would assume the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation are basing their decisions on who gets it and when on all the available data and evidence ... the government seems set on following their expert advice. Do we want them to follow expert advice or not?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Right. And he could change it at any time.

Fact remains, UEFA probably aren't going to plan an international football tournament around Boris's lockdown plans...

UEFA shouldnt be planning anything except UEFA 2024.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
We have a tournament-free summer in 2022; why not do it?
Can't see it.

A full season 21/22, then straight into the Euros, followed by an early start to the 22/23 season to accomodate the World Cup break in December, then the rest of the 22/23 season when that finishes including Cups and Europe?

Would be great for the fans, but the clubs, leagues and players would never go for it

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Maybe I'm being too simplist but how many people work in schools in the country, 400,000 :shrug: surely in two days over half term 80% of those could have had a first vaccination if they just vaccinated school workers in those two days, they could then have their second jab in the Easter holidays.

Two days wouldnt have had much impact on the others waiting for their jabs.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Maybe I'm being too simplist but how many people work in schools in the country, 400,000 :shrug: surely in two days over half term 80% of those could have had a first vaccination if they just vaccinated school workers in those two days, they could then have their second jab in the Easter holidays.

There are arguments that supermarket workers are in a more risky environment than teachers and there could be equal arguments to support other jobs being vaccinated as the next priority.

Let’s not forget any teachers in at risk categories are being vaccinated as part of the current approach to rollout and would struggle to argue any capacity is used for teachers ahead of the remaining at risk groups.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That’s fine but what about policemen, supermarket workers etc etc. The Government can’t take decisions in isolation. I agree that there is a strong argument for teachers, but with modeling predicting the re-opening of schools on March 8th will increase the R number to 1.6 (source: Sky News tonight), a better plan would be to postpone until after Easter.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There are arguments that supermarket workers are in a more risky environment than teachers and there could be equal arguments to support other jobs being vaccinated as the next priority.

Let’s not forget any teachers in at risk categories are being vaccinated as part of the current approach to rollout and would struggle to argue any capacity is used for teachers ahead of the remaining at risk groups.

I suppose the point is that supermarket workers are not being exposed to 'new' risk. Whereas from 8 March, teachers will be.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Once you go down jabs per jobs where do you stop?

Supermarket workers have been in the firing line non stop since day 1, no WFH option and no idea of who is around them

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Can't see it.

A full season 21/22, then straight into the Euros, followed by an early start to the 22/23 season to accomodate the World Cup break in December, then the rest of the 22/23 season when that finishes including Cups and Europe?

Would be great for the fans, but the clubs, leagues and players would never go for it

Agreed; I was being a tiny bit tongue in cheek however commercially it does stack up - I’m not sure interest in a watered down Euros will be as high as normal.

For the reasons you mention though, it wouldn’t happen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What does “ either with one other household or within the "rule of six"” actually mean? Could two households, each of four, meet up?

No. The two households, and the total number of six, are both independent maximums, I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here