Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roadmap out of Lockdown - Feb 22nd

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone want to put money on it being pissing with rain and about 4 degrees on 12th April?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What happened next was schools were re-opened....
Scientists have explained the risk to the vaccination programme posed by mutations of the virus. As to the 3 weeks or 5 weeks that is a decision for scientists. I don’t have an opinion and I am not sure why anyone in Joe Public would have one.

The problem was in the community not in schools which merely mimicked the community ..as for not having an opinion LOL

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I think it's taken a long time of failed action and mistakes, but I think we are getting it together now in the services, agencies and government. We are properly being data-led and setting things out in the right way.

And we're acknowledging that it can go wrong too - and levelling with the people as we should have done earlier, but maybe didn't know the facts well enough back then.

Sport reopening I can take at whatever speed it happens. Failing a variant problem we will get there as the year goes on.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I think it's taken a long time of failed action and mistakes, but I think we are getting it together now in the services, agencies and government. We are properly being data-led and setting things out in the right way.

And we're acknowledging that it can go wrong too - and levelling with the people as we should have done earlier, but maybe didn't know the facts well enough back then.

Sport reopening I can take at whatever speed it happens. Failing a variant problem we will get there as the year goes on.

Very much this. Despite no major change in personnel, except for the drawn out exit of Cummings, I see a drastically different government. Gone is the bluster, the blind optimism and the three word strap lines, replaced by a more measured, more sombre, more honest demeanour.

Those things embodied the prime minister in particular, and like it or not they played a big role in getting him into number 10. But Boris Johnson has had his mojo well and truly kicked out of him, both by the pandemic in general and I suspect his personal experience with Covid-19 itself.

Behind his understandably tired looking eyes seems to be a new perspective; one with a greater sense of responsibility, more seriousness, more humility and less hair-brained spontaneity.

It’s taken a seismic event in world history, lessons to be learned from repeated mistakes and his own battle with a serious illness, but I actually think he comes across as a much more likeable and all round better politician.

For much of this pandemic, the UK has appeared to be amongst the movers and shakers of the nations to have handled events most shambolically, but you have to give credit where it’s due. We came into to this very badly, and maintained that form for some time, but in coming back out (if we are indeed finally on our way out) you have to acknowledge that we are in a much, much better position than any other western nation and many others besides.

From where we were just after Christmas to where we are now is a remarkable achievement in such a short space of time, and whilst I still lament how wrong we got so many aspects of our Covid strategy I’m absolutely delighted that we seem to have absolutely nailed it when it comes to vaccine procurement, distribution and delivery.

Still a lot of moving parts in this whole affair and it’s realistic to expect setbacks along the way, but I feel as optimistic today as I have in some considerable time, perhaps at any point since around this time last year.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
What if cases don’t fall after reopening schools etc? Do we remain in lockdown still?

I’m sick to death of it now, previously I didn’t think it has had much impact on my mental health, but on Saturday, I full on realised how lonely I’ve been and the fact I cannot go to the gym or have a wander around some shops is starting to take its toll. Compounded with my attempt to save a deposit for a house in Hertfordshire is proving to be more difficult as house prices are rising at eye watering rates. Pre COVID our savings goal had been £55,000 and we were half way there. It’s now closer to to £65,000 as house prices continue to rise in our area.

Feels completely endless and that my age group is continuously being shafted. I’ve had a year of my life unexpectedly basically taken from me, the idea of owning my own home is increasingly becoming less and less likely with the rate house prices increase.

You then realise how selfish your own concerns are given how many people have died, how many people’s businesses and livelihoods have been destroyed, how many families have had to suffer.

It’s been one horrific year.

I hope everyone else is doing fine, I know my whinge is pretty selfish. I think it’s just pent up frustration that I can’t go to an away game or, see my family in Brighton.

End of rant...

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Once you go down jabs per jobs where do you stop?

Supermarket workers have been in the firing line non stop since day 1, no WFH option and no idea of who is around them
The thing is, supermarkets SHOULD be enforcing much better protection for their workers. I appreciate this is no doubt not happening. Till workers behind screens, shelf stackers being able to social distance etc, supermarkets are big old buildings.

For secondary school teachers it's 150+ people in a small room each day, minimal distancing, no chance for screens etc. The fact that you know who they are doesn't really change anything for any reason that I can think of.

It's a minefield and there's good arguments for and against vaccinating and not vaccinating every job.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The thing is, supermarkets SHOULD be enforcing much better protection for their workers. I appreciate this is no doubt not happening. Till workers behind screens, shelf stackers being able to social distance etc, supermarkets are big old buildings.

For secondary school teachers it's 150+ people in a small room each day, minimal distancing, no chance for screens etc. The fact that you know who they are doesn't really change anything for any reason that I can think of.

It's a minefield and there's good arguments for and against vaccinating and not vaccinating every job.

The main difference is you know who they are for track and trace/being tested by the sounds of it as well

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The main difference is you know who they are for track and trace/being tested by the sounds of it as well
But track and trace is retrospective. It doesn't make you less likely to catch it off people? It might give you a heads up if you might have been infected. Don't forget all their parents are still going to work and shopping etc so it's not like it's a bubble that has no external contacts.

Testing will be a massive step forward but can't for the life of me think hownitnwill be organised.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's on all of us

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has warned the government's timeline for unlocking coronavirus restrictions won't be sped up - and could even be slowed as ministers remain "vigilant" against infection rates.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has set out a four-stage roadmap for lifting England's lockdown over the next four months, with a five-week gap between each stage.

Some Conservative MPs have complained the roadmap, beginning with the return of all pupils to schools on 8 March, doesn't remove restrictions fast enough.

But, speaking to Sky News, Mr Hancock described the five-week gap between each stage of easing restrictions as "vital".

"It's very, very important that we can see the impact of one step before taking the next step," he said.

"There's a vital need to keep watching the data and for all us, the whole of society, to stick with this plan.

"We want to be able to hit those milestones, but we will be vigilant and watch what's happening to make sure it's safe to make each move.

"The prime minister set out the four tests we will apply before announcing each move can go ahead.

"Of course we want to make the moves at the dates that are set out.

"But it's on all of us to make sure we can by continuing to follow the rules between now and then as the vaccine rollout continues and as the really, really positive impact of those vaccines takes effect.

"This is on all of us."

Mr Hancock said that ministers were "absolutely determined" to come out of England's third national lockdown "as fast as safely possible, but no faster", with the aim of making the removal of restrictions "irreversible".

"This isn't just about choices the government makes, it's actually about how everyone responds and pulls together," he added.

"So, for now, it is so important that people stick to the existing rules.

"We can see the light at the end of the tunnel and the best way is for everybody to keep abiding by the rules, as they are in very, very large part."

I think the key takeaway from this message is the roadmap out of lockdown is an absolute best case scenario if things go perfectly, and it's all of our responsibilities to adhere to the rules. As the government grants us some freedoms back at each stage it is the absolute maximum we can do and does not mean we should all rush to do all of these things, we still need to act responsibilly and minimise social contact and stay at home wherever possible. It is highly possible the roadmap will slip back at some point and if it slips back significantly it will be our own fault if we've failed to follow the rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here