Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sadly Our Starting Eleven Just Looks Like Relegation Fodder

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well put. The sky has indeed not fallen in on our season. What we do have is a chronic inability to function at set-pieces on both attack and defence and a new defensive system that is currently offering too much space for our opponents own the break. As has been pointed out going forward we seem to be much more threatening and dynamic.

This international break has come at a good time, for there is much for Potter to ponder as he will have to address these issues at the back.

Well said. Too many precious posters on here to admit we’ve a lot of work to do. Equally, saying we’re down after 4 matches is a tad premature, although our current position has an air of familiarity about it, there’s no denying that unless you really are a rose tinted bigot.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well said. Too many precious posters on here to admit we’ve a lot of work to do. Equally, saying we’re down after 4 matches is a tad premature, although our current position has an air of familiarity about it, there’s no denying that unless you really are a rose tinted bigot.

Not pointing out that we can improve - who doesn't think that anyway (game management, defending at set pieces, giving the ball away, finishing are areas so far this season worthy of a look) - hardly makes you are a "bigot" or even a rose tinted one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We’re 4 games in. The goals conceded column is a worry, not sure anyone can deny that, in 3 of those games we’ve conceded within a few mins of scoring, which points toward a bit of a concentration issue. In mitigation it’s a new shape and we’ve been playing quality players that punish mistakes all to easily.

What I do like is we’re carrying a threat and look like we have far more options. Poor old Trossard in particular should have 4 or 5 goals to his name other than the frame and some quality saves - it’s a good sign Trossard, March, Maupay, Connolly, Bissouma already contributing goals from our forwards and midfield, with Lamptey only a matter of time before he notches.

Can’t keep conceding goals though, so while the clamour is for a striker, we’ve really got to sort out what we’re doing and fast as it’s going to undo all the great work being done going forwards (who would have thought being more attacking might leave you more open...?).

I’m reasonably happy we have the potential to kick on and climb the table, but can’t deny I’m not really concerned with our sudden defensive fragility.

This....

Rational, thoughtful posts like this have no place on here at the moment..........you need to do better. Start posts flaming defenders who have played 4 PL games and might have made the odd error in otherwise mature and accomplished performances, slag Potter off for being tactically inept despite the obvious improvements in some aspects of our play, criticise Tony for not dipping into his pocket for another 40m for a striker.......etc.

We clearly have a few things to work on, but the hyperbolic wailing and direct personal criticism of some players and staff on some of the threads on here - after 4 games where we have at least as many points as we would have expected to get, and substantially more goals - are embarrassing IMO.

This.....

Palace lost 4-0 on Saturday, Liverpool 7-2, Leicester 3-0, Wolves 4-0 and Man Utd 6-1. Man City lost 5-2 last week, Newcastle 3-0 to er, us. All worse results than any of ours so far.
Fulham, West Brom and Burnley have no points and don't look in a great position..
Do any of the clubs above starting 11 look like relegation fodder on the basis of 1-2 dodgy results? Maybe ? Maybe not ? A quirk of this very odd season ?
This kind of premature instant analysis might make for good troll fodder but its frankly pretty ridiculous with 34 games to go or for those who've seen with our own eyes what our very young line up of Lamptey, Trossard, Connolly, Alzate, White and Maupay are capable of.

And, finally, this.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just dreadful.

Q How do you progess from being EPL cannon fodderand just clinging on in there for another season or two?

A Pay market prices. Or fold :shrug:

But do we expect too much?

Tony Bloom is a shrewd operator, but he's only one man, we are told about this apparent £40million hole in our finances as a result of Covid, maybe at this point he cannot pay the going rate for the likes of Watkins or Brewster without over stretching himself and the club?

Cliché I know, but the next 180 mins is key, from what we've seen of Palace and WBA, a six point return is not a huge ask, 9 points rather than 3 will make a hell of a difference.

FWIW I don't think we will go down, my big fear regarding the return of crowds however is, how many Amex 'regulars' will get out of the habit of going and how many won't be able to afford to go due to Covid related hardship?

This time next year, when 'normal' returns, will the ground only be 2/3's full anyway?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This time next year, when 'normal' returns

That is a tad presumptuous, this coid thing ain't going away anytime soon and it will be here for many many years, more likely it won't ever go away,
If it does have the potential to develop into a weaker strain as they say, it also in turn (which they don't mention) has the potential to create a stronger strain.

There ya go, I nice little pick me up for a Monday morning.
:lolol:

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That is a tad presumptuous, this coid thing ain't going away anytime soon and it will be here for many many years, more likely it won't ever go away and if it does have the potential to develop into a weaker strain as they say, it also in turn which they don't mention it then has the potential to create a stronger strain..

Thats the spirit, is the Tango **** in intensive care yet? That really would cheer up a Monday morning. :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
But do we expect too much?

Tony Bloom is a shrewd operator, but he's only one man, we are told about this apparent £40million hole in our finances as a result of Covid, maybe at this point he cannot pay the going rate for the likes of Watkins or Brewster without over stretching himself and the club?

Cliché I know, but the next 180 mins is key, from what we've seen of Palace and WBA, a six point return is not a huge ask, 9 points rather than 3 will make a hell of a difference.

FWIW I don't think we will go down, my big fear regarding the return of crowds however is, how many Amex 'regulars' will get out of the habit of going and how many won't be able to afford to go due to Covid related hardship?

This time next year, when 'normal' returns, will the ground only be 2/3's full anyway?

This season can only be a survival year, in many more ways than one . . . . I'm not expecting anything exciting to happen in the transfer market, we will have to make do and mend ( Izquierdo)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fulham, West Brom and Burnley have no points and don't look in a great position..

West Brom have one point - they drew with Chelsea. You mean Sheff U

I do think Fulham, WBA and Burnley look on dodgy ground - Sheff U may pull themselves out of it. I'm not sure Newcastle are that great either - they fluked a draw at Spurs and have beaten two poor teams. And for all the hype about Leeds, I'm not wholly convinced - their two wins were against two of the poorest teams in the league (and they only just won both of them)

I think we're still bottom third but I can't see us going down this year.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
That is a tad presumptuous, this coid thing ain't going away anytime soon and it will be here for many many years, more likely it won't ever go away,
If it does have the potential to develop into a weaker strain as they say, it also in turn (which they don't mention) has the potential to create a stronger strain.

Thanks I went for a lie down in my chapel of rest to cheer myself up...…..

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Last Season was Potter introducing his philosophy to Hughton's players.
This season is about building Potter's team and taking that forward.
Always likely to be a few bumps along the way, but the future is looking pretty good to me.

Personally, I loved his comments about people being more interested in buying in better players, rather than improving what we've got.
People baying for a top ten finish this season because "that what Tony said" really don't get it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not pointing out that we can improve - who doesn't think that anyway (game management, defending at set pieces, giving the ball away, finishing are areas so far this season worthy of a look) - hardly makes you are a "bigot" or even a rose tinted one.

Come off it, certain posters argue black is white and blue is red every time someone posts anything even remotely critical after a defeat. The rose tinted losers. But **** em, they’re entitled to their bigoted opinions, they’re only denying themselves and it’s a joy to watch them be buried by overwhelming facts. Meanwhile, let’s hope Zaha doesn’t score against our shaky defence but I fear he might given his stella record against us (waits for someone to come on and point out Zaha doesn’t always score against us, blah blah blah)

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Come off it, certain posters argue black is white and blue is red every time someone posts anything even remotely critical after a defeat. The rose tinted losers. But **** em, they’re entitled to their bigoted opinions, they’re only denying themselves and it’s a joy to watch them be buried by overwhelming facts. Meanwhile, let’s hope Zaha doesn’t score against our shaky defence but I fear he might given his stella record against us (waits for someone to come on and point out Zaha doesn’t always score against us, blah blah blah)

More of a concern Lamptey being fit for it, Zaha will be plying his trade in Turkey or Greece by close of play today and if he does stay at Palace he’ll have taken his foot off the gas, demoralised and no longer needing to worry about impressing in the shop window.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Last Season was Potter introducing his philosophy to Hughton's players.
This season is about building Potter's team and taking that forward.
Always likely to be a few bumps along the way, but the future is looking pretty good to me.

Personally, I loved his comments about people being more interested in buying in better players, rather than improving what we've got.
People baying for a top ten finish this season because "that what Tony said" really don't get it.

It's pretty obvious there's a reason why Potter has a six year contract. There's also a reason why we're not spending gazillions on "the finished article". And there's also a reason why we're buying so much young talent and loaning players out to give them game time. We may have a bad season (this year? next year?), but the downside is planned for.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's pretty obvious there's a reason why Potter has a six year contract. There's also a reason why we're not spending gazillions on "the finished article". And there's also a reason why we're buying so much young talent and loaning players out to give them game time. We may have a bad season (this year? next year?), but the downside is planned for.

Trouble is, one bad season is all it takes. I’m slightly mystified by all this talk of project building, slowly, gently, small increments at a time etc that many fans think we’ve got the luxury of time for! Football is utterly ruthless and especially at this level I.e. if GP is afforded such time, luck and good fortune, not just from Tony but the footballing gods, then it’ll be a 1st! The average life expectancy of a football manager is something akin to a Sopworth camel pilots on the western front. So many variables contribute. Managing success is as tough as managing shite. It’s constant disruption. Ripping up plans. Good players (and managers) get nicked. Bad managers get sacked. And Bad players get more cars. It’s a crazy crazy business to be in, which is why I prefer the sound the charge bugler approach - who gets time for Chess moves?!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The 3rd post on this thread telling the OP to give his head a wobble has racked up well over 100+ thumbs up. One of the most "liked" posts I've ever seen.

So we're not all idiots then!

Over 120 thumbs up for a post mentioning the childish NSC phrase “ bed wetting “

I would have given a thumbs up for “ give his head a wobble “ :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Another donut needed here. Another exam question fail. But also just to let you know Palace beat Utd away last season too. Oh, and here’s a real chocker. They beat Man City away during their title winning season the year before. But I’m not even talking wins. Draws would be fine. That’s also a result. But we don’t do those either.

Just to remind you that what we saw yesterday is the Palace side you want us to emulate. All solid banks of defenders and hope to get a chance on the break.

They might be able to get points at Old Trafford that way but is that really what you want Brighton to look like week-in week-out?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Trouble is, one bad season is all it takes. I’m slightly mystified by all this talk of project building, slowly, gently, small increments at a time etc that many fans think we’ve got the luxury of time for! Football is utterly ruthless and especially at this level I.e. if GP is afforded such time, luck and good fortune, not just from Tony but the footballing gods, then it’ll be a 1st! The average life expectancy of a football manager is something akin to a Sopworth camel pilots on the western front. So many variables contribute. Managing success is as tough as managing shite. It’s constant disruption. Ripping up plans. Good players (and managers) get nicked. Bad managers get sacked. And Bad players get more cars. It’s a crazy crazy business to be in, which is why I prefer the sound the charge bugler approach - who gets time for Chess moves?!

Bugler charge approach ... charge of the Light Brigade springs to mind because we all know that end well.

The life expectancy of a WWI pilot was 18 hours ......

Sports where we have been successful- rowing and cycling - is based upon incremental gains, small gains but gains none the less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just to remind you that what we saw yesterday is the Palace side you want us to emulate. All solid banks of defenders and hope to get a chance on the break.

They might be able to get points at Old Trafford that way but is that really what you want Brighton to look like week-in week-out?

We tried that, it was awful. #PotterIN

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We tried that, it was awful. #PotterIN

Chris never set us up like that. Not against a direct rival at home and certainly not at this stage of the season.

Chris got sacked for a much less defensive mindset than this.

Not trying to reopen old conversations as it's been done to death. Just sometimes though I feel the need to jump in to safeguard the reputation of a good manager and a fine man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here