Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shìt that makes you feel old Volume I

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Met my first proper girlfriend when she was 17.

Current partner (can’t bring myself to say girlfriend) was 50 last week.

I’m pretty sure my first girlfriend’s nipples pointed up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just checking when you get old nowadays do you still have that age amnesty where you can pretty much say and do what you like without challenge?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Me and my wife were talking today of how our student kids will never experience having to stand outside of a phone box at a pre-arranged date and time, waiting for a call from home.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Just checking when you get old nowadays do you still have that age amnesty where you can pretty much say and do what you like without challenge?

Looking at the tactics Palace have been using for the last couple of seasons, Yes, I think you can.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not shit......
My dad reminiscing about the day he took me to my first Albion game.
FFS last century.
But worth it though.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

Mine is 55 and recently got promoted from MILF to GILF...

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Me and my wife were talking today of how our student kids will never experience having to stand outside of a phone box at a pre-arranged date and time, waiting for a call from home.

Or wacking a coat hanger up it to try and get the loose change

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
First job as a trainee QS for Rice & Son Ltd (Gloucester Place) my salary was £728 pa or £14 a week. Wouldn’t even pay for a single Albion PPV now.

Christ. I hadn't realised you were that old. I was taking home considerably more than that while working as a deck chair attendant on Brighton sea front in 1977. :mad:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

With all due respect . . . . Chapel Hat pegs.

Spitfire starter buttons is another fave. :rolleyes:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Christ. I hadn't realised you were that old. I was taking home considerably more than that while working as a deck chair attendant on Brighton sea front in 1977. :mad:

The tragedy was that before doing my A levels in 1972, I was working at Sainsbury’s London Road, Friday night and Saturdays (Butchers dept) and at the Academy Cinema, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights, late shows Saturdays, and was clearing about £50 a week.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Post of the day for me, the standard NSC reply would be 'This', but you have summed up my feelings so wonderfully well that it deserves more than a glib one word reply. I've been posting a lot on a particular music thread and it has been a great trip back through my life, but it ends up being a double edged sword, enjoying the memories but depressing when you realise how long ago it all was. And I agree completely with you about film and video footage, one of the news channels put a clip up of the heatwave in 1976, which I remember well, Christ on a bike! It looked like a grainy film about life in the 1950's, I certainly didn't remember it like that. You live your life involved in the moment, which passes into history before you realise it.
Boy. do I need a large Gin & Tonic!
:down:

Message to you and the previous poster (think it was [MENTION=756]The Antikythera Mechanism[/MENTION]) - time does run past faster and faster as we age, and I think it works like this; when I was ten, the previous year of my life was 10% of my life. A large slice. When I was 60 the previous year of my life was 1.6% of my life. Practically nothing. No wonder it seemed to whizz by.

However.....I am at odds with you. I still feel connected to the past and yet firmly in the present. There again, I have always carefully selected what I want in my life in terms of music, new media, literature and TV (and to an extent, people). I still look at old photos; my book shelves have books I have owned for 50 years, and books bought this year. I re-read old books (in order if they are a series - did all the James Bond last year). My iPOD contains all my music, from the 60s to now, on regular update, and played in shuffle mode. I have three iPODS (just in case) and my music is backed up on four external HDs. I know what a pod cast is but can't be arsed to listen to one. Too 'busy' :whistle:. I know what I like, but I will try new things. I am resigned to my physical decline, but will do what I can.

I'm 62 now. I am very aware that my dad died aged 62. I found out recently that I'm probably well 'on the spectrum' so (amongst other foibles and unsettling or even startling behaviours) I mither about things, to others, irrationally. But it is what it is. All shit comes to pass. If I make it to 63 I'll feel like I have dodged yet another bullet.

And the job. Should I stay or should I go? I shall park that for a year, I think. Outlive the old man first. Publish the paper on my new drug; see if that gets a tickle from the pharmaceutical industry or venture capital.....and if not, look around for something to keep me out of trouble and able to spend most of the day in my most favoured place - on my own where nobody can annoy me, interrupt my train of thought or bring disorder to my life, putting things in cupboards in front of other things, or in the fridge on top of other things. I'm not kidding, either. :lolol: If you think my NSC 'ignore' list is long (it really isn't) my work email ignore list is so long it is actually full and Outlook won't let me ignore anybody new. Innovative technology, my arse.

As for the grainy past, the shit hair styles, the body odour, the ignorance, the stupidity, and yet, the excitement, the wonder, the new, be glad that some of it may have been good and you were there. The rest, press 'delete'.

Don't get maudlin or wistful or melancholy. Enjoy your things. They are your things and you should be able to enjoy them. :shrug:

And if you just feel like a sing song and a cry, this always works for me :lolol: (I can even play guitar along with it moderately convincingly. Ahem.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaoHbNNK58k

All the best from sunny Faversham :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The tragedy was that before doing my A levels in 1972, I was working at Sainsbury’s London Road, Friday night and Saturdays (Butchers dept) and at the Academy Cinema, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights, late shows Saturdays, and was clearing about £50 a week.

£665 a week in real terms.

Did you then travel or have amazing holidays?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
in 1977 The Clash sang:

If Adolf Hitler flew in today
They'd send a limousine anyway

That was ages after WW2, 32 years in fact.

We are now 43 years from when the Clash released White man in Hammersmith Palais, seems like just a few years ago.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Saw a clip of Eamon Holmes from 1988 on the tv today, when he wasn't the size of the brontasauraus that we all now know and love.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The first time your barber asks if you'd like your eyebrows trimmed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
In spite of the fact that I feel as healthy now as I have at any other time in my life, everyone seems to walk faster than me these days!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here