Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should have waited

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Chimneys.................Thats rubbish. If you woke up this morning same contitions but we hadnt had the snow but same equivilent of rain, and a county league side or a county council said we aint playing games today cos we want to protect the pitches, you would take em off to the nearest funny farm in a straight jacket! ............I mean what happens for the other 4 winter months? Do we never play football when its raining now?

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The facts are this mild weather is only just extending into the far South. London, North and it will struggle to get abover freezing. Colchester will be freezing and the roads, travel there will be very difficult. No one predicted the speed of the thaw. To have 9 inches of snow and - 7 C at 8 pm last night I was amazed to wake up to no snow. This is an unprecedented speed of thaw.

I think the club did the right thing as at yesterday evening it was a no brainer. I expected the deep snow to hang around for a much longer time and the BBC said there would be a " slow thaw ".

With Black Ice around en route for anyone travelling from the North the club had no option.

Chill out and do some Xmas shopping.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Has anybody noticed that it's pissing hard with rain.
Snow is dissapearing fast & still 14 hours until the game was suppose to kick off.
If the pitch is waterlogged fair enough but I don't think that was the reason why the game has been called off 27 hours before kick off.did they not check the weather forecast.

I entirely agree with you except I do believe we were all given the wrong weather for overnight. I live just up from Withdean and all is thawed and the dangers of getting to the ground are no more and the pitch should have been playable. The guys just called this off as the right decision with the forecasted overnight weather. The forecasted freeze of last night and rain was not forecast which they had no control over!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
All county league games off as a blanket postponment too, aswell as all sunday league games off. Seems to me thats lots of leagues, officials, committees and councils have got this horribly wrong. Why call off Sunday parks games yesterday when they could have waited till today? Bloody stupid IMO.

(Oh and tell Mandy my sandwich was lovely!)

shame mate,as lancing had a big game today which i couldnt go to because of our home game,hope they play it midweek now(lancing),have you seen richards hudsons there now

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ask yourselves this. Would you be happy in normal times if the team only had 2 light training sessions in the 5 days before a match? If not, why are you so desperate for them to play under that scenario this afternoon?

That's a totally different question, one which i agree with you on, but are you seriously suggesting the club decided to make a tactical early decision to ensure we didn't play.

The bare facts are that as per the forecast, the pitch will be playable, the stands will be sittable, the local roads will be walkable, the trains will be ridable and the pavements will be walkable. If they had sought even amateur meteorological advice they would have delayed the inspection until this morning. Even a 9am look would have given everyone time to not travel if necessary. All other aguements are surely just nit picking around these facts.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
shame mate,as lancing had a big game today which i couldnt go to because of our home game,hope they play it midweek now(lancing),have you seen richards hudsons there now

Yeah saw there game last sat against AFC Uckfield where he scored 2 pens.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
That's a totally different question, one which i agree with you on, but are you seriously suggesting the club decided to make a tactical early decision to ensure we didn't play.

The bare facts are that as per the forecast, the pitch will be playable, the stands will be sittable, the local roads will be walkable, the trains will be ridable and the pavements will be walkable. If they had sought even amateur meteorological advice they would have delayed the inspection until this morning. Even a 9am look would have given everyone time to not travel if necessary. All other aguements are surely just nit picking around these facts.

Once again Papa you are spot on. The game wasnt called off because we have only had 2 training sessions it was called off because of the snow and trechourous conditions in surrounding areas............ which they have got WRONG!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
glad you enjoyed your lunch though fella,hope she gave you discount!!!,hope mikey and family are all good and well,catch up soon,are you going boxing day??and are you getting s/t nextyr

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which ever decision the club took it would be wrong. If it turns cold today and below freezing people would complain why leave it ubtil 1.00pm to call off the game. To my mind a sensible decision and if we beat either Huddersfield or Notts County we will be top on Christmas Day which is a good boost to the team, before Mandaric spends his millions on players for Sheff Wed.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
wow, some real vitriol in this thread.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I entirely agree with you except I do believe we were all given the wrong weather for overnight. I live just up from Withdean and all is thawed and the dangers of getting to the ground are no more and the pitch should have been playable. The guys just called this off as the right decision with the forecasted overnight weather. The forecasted freeze of last night and rain was not forecast which they had no control over!

And this gets to the heart of the problem. By just consulting the bbc 5 dayer on the net (not that i'm saying you did) you would have correctly seen the overnight minimum temp of -7c or something similar. The problem is that this temp is the min for the whole period from 6pm to 6am. If they had looked more closely, at publicly available forecast data (the same data i use) they would have see that by later in the evening the temps were due to rise quickly and rain would arrive to wipe away the snow and ice.

This is why i doubt they take any met advice on these matters.

Papa

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
whats done is done,we are all just pissed because there is another week of NO footy,my lad hasnt had a game for 3 weeks and he is like a bear with a sore head!!!!,shame the ashes arent on live now

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
papa seriously did you expect all 9 inches of snow to be wiped out in a few hours. This WAS NOT forecast as a slow thaw was expected.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
glad you enjoyed your lunch though fella,hope she gave you discount!!!,hope mikey and family are all good and well,catch up soon,are you going boxing day??and are you getting s/t nextyr

yeah she did bless her! All good, going boxing day but looks like in the home end! Dunno about season ticket. I have Mikey to look after sats cos she works fri nights.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Also there are PLENTY of other things to do on a Saturday afternoon than watch 2 third division football teams hoof a ball around for 90 minutes. Get out and about and enjoy the day. In short.

Get a life.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is it not possible that the conditions at the time, the weather forecast, the likelihood of the forcast being right, the ground, the stands and surrounding roads, travelling from Colchester, and then Gus's opinion on limited training this week, Clochester's approach and possible pitch conditions could all have been taken into account before the decision was made ?

The number of people on NSC who can't take into account more than one fact - If it's green it's on, If it's white it's off

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have the weather forecast given by the BBC or any other media never been wrong? Give the club etc some leeway as they acted in the best interests of most people and I am not a person who bows and scrapes to the club but I can appreciate when they have tried to do the right thing. Are we all perfect dont we sometimes make a mistake and make the wrong judgement.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Is it not possible that the conditions at the time, the weather forecast, the likelihood of the forcast being right, the ground, the stands and surrounding roads, travelling from Colchester, and then Gus's opinion on limited training this week, Clochester's approach and possible pitch conditions could all have been taken into account before the decision was made ?

The number of people on NSC who can't take into account more than one fact - If it's green it's on, If it's white it's off

A remarkably wise summary!! You must be on the wrong website!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And this gets to the heart of the problem. By just consulting the bbc 5 dayer on the net (not that i'm saying you did) you would have correctly seen the overnight minimum temp of -7c or something similar. The problem is that this temp is the min for the whole period from 6pm to 6am. If they had looked more closely, at publicly available forecast data (the same data i use) they would have see that by later in the evening the temps were due to rise quickly and rain would arrive to wipe away the snow and ice.

This is why i doubt they take any met advice on these matters.

Papa

You would have also seen that said BBC site also had Brighton having fog all day yesterday.

So they do get things totally wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here