Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should the next Government start negotiating to join the Customs Union ?

Should the next Government start to negotiate joining the EU's Customs Union ?

• Yes they should

Votes: 115 82.7%
  • No they shouldn't

Votes: 24 17.3%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It seems that both Labour and Conservatives have published manifestos that independent economic bodies have agreed need significant economic growth to cover financially, growth way beyond what is currently predicted.

Very simple question, should the next Government begin negotiations to join the Customs Union to help achieve economic growth required. if you really want to discuss further there's always The Brexit Thread

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Because you can't do a poll on an existing thread, even if it was one you started, which I didn't :wink:
You can add a poll to a thread you started. Just edit the OP and the option comes up.

(There’s no “don’t know” option so I didn’t vote)

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
It's taken a long long time but goods do seem to be moving quite well between us and the rest of the world at the moment. Took a while to get there and lots of new paperwork, but now everyone knows what they are doing things for us are running quite smoothly. We export to Europe and the rest of the World on a daily basis and import from US & China. We are B2B and our customers now understand they have to pay their VAT in their own country instead of paying us. Downside is European customers now having to pay Duty which they didn't pre Brexit.

Probably some benefits in joining the Customs Union but no rush as far as I'm concerned.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's taken a long long time but goods do seem to be moving quite well between us and the rest of the world at the moment. Took a while to get there and lots of new paperwork, but now everyone knows what they are doing things for us are running quite smoothly. We export to Europe and the rest of the World on a daily basis and import from US & China. We are B2B and our customers now understand they have to pay their VAT in their own country instead of paying us. Downside is European customers now having to pay Duty which they didn't pre Brexit.

Probably some benefits in joining the Customs Union but no rush as far as I'm concerned.
Quite well?

One of my family is struggling currently due to unavailability of a medicine.

Even the extremely left wing Sky news recognizes this as a Brexit Bonus:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes. It's a no brainer, and I suspect this may well be the government's position going into the next election when it becomes even more blatantly obvious that is in the country's interest.

Expect heads to remain in the sand for a couple of years yet though.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I voted yes, but the EU offered us a free movement deal for 18-30yos but both the Sunak and Starmer rejected it immediately. Why would either dare to piss off the Brexity voters more?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

We're the same as this.

Exporting (worldwide including to Europe on a daily basis)

The Duty for European Customers is the only real change, and as you say more paperwork which seems smooth enough now.

The fall in the value of Sterling 8 years ago against both the $ and € helped us massively (it made our prices much cheaper to our customers and was a significant boost for exporters which many fail to appreciate.)

I still voted yes to re joining the CU in the poll above.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I personally would only allow the UK back if it rejoined us as a full and participating member, or took a Swiss/Norway option….which includes freedom of movement as well.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I personally would only allow the UK back if it rejoined us as a full and participating member, or took a Swiss/Norway option….which includes freedom of movement as well.
That's the only way I can see us going back, with Switzerland/Norway being the most likely option, especially as that is what was being sold at the beginning of the Brexit campaign.

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
Careful what you wish for. The economies of France and Germany (ie the EU powerhouses of old) are screwed right now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here