Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speculate to accumulate

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
GG

How many Chairmen ,Boards players etc have youseen come and go during your 33 years, as has been said many times they all come and go and means nothing to them generally the only lifers are the supporters.

When 1 chairman goes another will take his place.

My top 3 chairman incidentally on what they achieved is;

E A Stringer in the 50s
M Bamber in the 70/80s
and suprisingly Dick Knight up until now whether he remains in this position is dependant on what he does in the future

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
This £220k has been put in by probably 1000 people and what do they have for their efforts?

If one man had put in £220k he would have expected something in return and this is what irks me as it appears that the club want the supporters to give their money and offer nothing in return as opposed to one man getting a stake in the club.
Safe knowledge that they are doing their bit to help secure a future for the club.

BensGrandad said:
Would you give £220k and expect nothing in return.

If the club asked supporters to pay a deposit on future season tickets as Arsenal have done and hope to raise £30m in so doing, I would have been at the front of the queue but to ask for a donation to keep them afloat and give nothing in return to me is taking the p..s

Depends if I could afford it. It's no shit off my arse if I can. It is a tragedy that you demand something in return for a charitable donation. It kind of undermines the point of the request really. I, on the other hand, am delighted to give up my time if it means helping the club I cherish. And I demand nothing more than the donation being used in a worthwhile manner.

Hydro Driven

Nov 1, 2004
Brighton
I agree that all the money that the fans put into the club i.e. Season ticket money, donations to 40 note fund. goes towards Falmer not players but if we go down there is more chance of not getting falmer then if we stay up! we need to buy/loan a stiker so we can stay up and get falmer! We need to score goals!!!:goal:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
we want Falmer! said:
I agree that all the money that the fans put into the club i.e. Season ticket money, donations to 40 note fund. goes towards Falmer not players but if we go down there is more chance of not getting falmer then if we stay up! we need to buy/loan a stiker so we can stay up and get falmer! We need to score goals!!!:goal:

Yep - but as we are told there is no money

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
For crying out loud, the division we are in does not affect any decision on Falmer

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yorkie said:
For crying out loud, the division we are in does not affect any decision on Falmer

shhhhhhhh. I've got a headache!

It seems to me that the day of the rich benefactor has long since gone. Football Clubs have a choice:-

1. They can go the plc route, attracting business investors from the city money markets - a high risk strategy that very few Clubs can sustain;

2. They can stay in the ownership of an historic 'benefactor' - another high risk strategy, given that characters like Madejski will eventually turn out to be irreplaceable;

3. They ally themselves to their fans - which is why the future ownership of the Albion, post-DK, probably lies with a Supporters' Trust.

Earlier posts on this thread have suggested that a one-off 'investment' of a couple of hundred thousand pounds might come from a business person who anticipates some sort of 'return'. I am fairly certain that any business person who has that sort of money available has already worked out that all it will deliver is just enough cash to cover the wages of a Championship squad for about a month.

Last edited:

BensGrandad said:
This £220k has been put in by probably 1000 people and what do they have for their efforts?

If one man had put in £220k he would have expected something in return and this is what irks me as it appears that the club want the supporters to give their money and offer nothing in return as opposed to one man getting a stake in the club.

Would you give £220k and expect nothing in return.

If the club asked supporters to pay a deposit on future season tickets as Arsenal have done and hope to raise £30m in so doing, I would have been at the front of the queue but to ask for a donation to keep them afloat and give nothing in return to me is taking the p..s

It's 1,400 people who have donated to the club - thanks for trashing their efforts in your usual bullshitting style.

You frequently boast about your acumen as a small businessmen, so clearly you can afford to submit something to the latest appeal but you choose not to because you are crippled with spite and envy towards the current board.

Again in your statement above you trot out a load of ignorant and misleading crap.

The club has already made it clear that they would welcome the £220k donations that people have made being converted into shares in a supporters' trust. This issue was discussed in depth at the last fans forum.

You completely ignore this, because you are not motivated by the truth but, instead, by a desire to smear the current board members by grabbing hold of any issue that you can twist to your advantage.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
London Irish said:

The club has already made it clear that they would welcome the £220k donations that people have made being converted into shares in a supporters' trust. This issue was discussed in depth at the last fans forum.

You completely ignore this, because you are not motivated by the truth but, instead, by a desire to smear the current board members by grabbing hold of any issue that you can twist to your advantage.

What happening with the Supporters Trust ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:

I was not at the fans forum as I was away working to earn some more money to give to the club. Sorry I couldnt' make the back slappers appreciation society's get together.

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
BensGrandad said:
I was not at the fans forum as I was away working to earn some more money to give to the club. Sorry I couldnt' make the back slappers appreciation society's get together.

fair play to BG. while he may upset some people on this forum there is no doubt that his number one love is the Albion.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Yorkie said:

Exactly that is why the board are determined to see us relegated just to prove you right. We want the conference and we want it now.

Falmer for F all.

BensGrandad said:

What money to you give to the club? You've already said that you don't agree with the Alive and Kicking campaign because it's giving the club "something for nothing"? (the survival of the club obviously being "nothing") Once again, more contradictory bullshit that fools no one.

And I'm sure every supporter who attends these open, public forums will be delighted with your description of them. You seem to have forgotten already about your "rules" of debate - but of course hypocrisy and humbug are the only thing that is consistent about you.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That was the first fans forum that I have missed and my opinion of previous ones was that alls well if you patted the board on the shoulder but as soon as a question that they do not like was asked they huffed and puffed and moved on.

Sadly that is my impression prhaps LI you are one that does the patting because you consider it justifed I dont. I appreciate their good points and what they have achieved but can also see their limitations and failings.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
London Irish said:
What money to you give to the club? You've already said that you don't agree with the Alive and Kicking campaign because it's giving the club "something for nothing"? (the survival of the club obviously being "nothing") Once again, more contradictory bullshit that fools no one.

And I'm sure every supporter who attends these open, public forums will be delighted with your description of them. You seem to have forgotten already about your "rules" of debate - but of course hypocrisy and humbug are the only thing that is consistent about you.

LI take a look at your own recent postings before judging rules of debate:censored:

BensGrandad said:
That was the first fans forum that I have missed and my opinion of previous ones was that alls well if you patted the board on the shoulder but as soon as a question that they do not like was asked they huffed and puffed and moved on.

That's because envy-filled moaners like you are in a tiny minority and are always destined to be so.

Once again, you've avoided answering a direct question when it's been asked, your usual mode of operation.

What money do you give the club currently over and above that which pays for your ticket and your chips in the North Stand?

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
It does matter what divison we play in.

The point is to make Falmer a viable economic proposition we need to play a high standard of football. We hardly ever sell out Withdean so we must set out to sell out our new stadium otherwise we will go bust due to stadium overheads. Old fools like me and most of you lot keep going cause its in the blood but are the kids fattened on a diet of Man U and Chelski on Sky going to want to pay £20.00 to see Albion v Milton Keynes dons.

I stand by the board not getting the club into debt a la Bradford or Leeds or Barnsley in order to stay in the division, but without a recognised striker to play with leon it will be difficult.

Therefore I propose comprimise.

If we go down and get Falmer can we fill it? I hope so but think the reality is no. On the gates at withdean this year the answer is no. So by borrowing some money or having some buckets outside the ground or another £40 note fund for the playing side of things we may be able to help to loan somebody with 10 - 15 goals in them and stay up and show fatty prescott we need a proper ground.

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
London Irish said:

Once again, you've avoided answering a direct question when it's been asked, your usual mode of operation.

What money do you give the club currently over and above that which pays for your ticket and your chips in the North Stand?

I don't see why BG should disclose such info, but as Ian Hart said a while back the bottom line is that BG loves the Albion and wants what is best for the club. As demonstrated by his years of unpaid scouting work, volunteering to co-ordinate a sussex-wide scouting network etc etc.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:
Well said, Biscuit.

Rotherham were offered salvation and investment, on condition that Ronnie Moore was sacked and Paul Gascoigne brought in.

Despite their dire circumstances, the Club's supporters have made it plain that they don't see that as a solution. The 'investors' have now gone away.

Well done Rotherham, I say.

:blush:

Thanks for your help this morning.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
London Irish said:
That's because envy-filled moaners like you are in a tiny minority and are always destined to be so.

Li - are you disclosing what you do with your disposeable income? - I think not - how much did you spend in the supermarket last week? attack the points raised not personal wealth, thats about choice and ability to pay and thats different for every one on here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here