chip said:
It did make me think of Neil "the Peoples Poet" from The Young Ones :lolol:

Rick was the peoples poet, not that I'm splitting hairs

ACTUALLY :)

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Lord Bracknell said:
I'd like to think that anti-racism was a cause that didn't need expenditure.

Its not about expenditure though its a physical sign of support, the £1.50 give to Nike is suspossed to be just for production costs

Part of me thinks this wrist band thing is just a shallow, superficial "ooh look at me i'm wearing a trendy charity band" load of tosh. And part of me thinks that it is a good way to get kids giving and actually making a difference to world issues.
But then part of me posts on a football chat room as a drunken comedy character, so its best to just ignore me and hope i go away.

I did see that selected JJB stores are selling them - guess what? My local one has never heard of them and their website says nothing at all about it.

I'm really hacked off that this is being run by a commercial company and that the website features lots of pictures of football starts who just happen to have sponsorship deals with Nike.

It just feels a bit like a trojan horse operation to me - behind all the laudable sentiment is a money-making machine.
('only' 25p from each wristband goes to the anti-racism charities).

And why make it so easy for people on ebay to make a killing - make more wristbands - SAKE!

:angry:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Well, I think that young trendies wear these wrist bands because they're the latest "must have" gimmick. I don't think for instance that people are thinking of Lance Armstrong's heroic battle with cancer when they wear the yellow one, or that school bullies are reformed overnight by wearing the blue one.
The latest one will be worn by racists probably.

They're a gimmick & getting silly now.

I might bring out an anti swearing one, perhaps rhubarb patterned.

Would Wayne Rooney add it to his collection?

sykid69

Aug 2, 2003
Hove
u can get them from a chav shop called jd sports £1.50 in churchill square.. they are getting them in 2day m8.. so hurry

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
sykid69 said:
u can get them from a chav shop called jd sports £1.50 in churchill square.. they are getting them in 2day m8.. so hurry
:clap2: cheers

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
smudge said:
Well, I think that young trendies wear these wrist bands because they're the latest "must have" gimmick. I don't think for instance that people are thinking of Lance Armstrong's heroic battle with cancer when they wear the yellow one, or that school bullies are reformed overnight by wearing the blue one.
The latest one will be worn by racists probably.

They're a gimmick & getting silly now.

I might bring out an anti swearing one, perhaps rhubarb patterned.

Would Wayne Rooney add it to his collection?

must admit being 18 at college and wearing the yellow one im not walking around constantly thinking of armstrongs magnificent effort. i do wear it because i think it looks quite good but the whole charity was what made me buy it in the first place. and more and more when people ask me about it i explain the charity reasons and a few people have bought it. i am spreading the word :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sorry, but these arm bands a getting a little kitsch now. Started off as nice idea for kid in the playground to show they where against bullying - and thats where it should have stayed.

If i was to see a multi bracletted chap/ess wandering down the street id probably think nothing off it and certainly not " ooo, look at all the good causes that person supports". If you dont *know* what they're about, theres little point to them.

And your making a fat profit for the braclet manufacturers who have finally found some purpose for their silly plastic braclets.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
beorhthelm said:
sorry, but these arm bands a getting a little kitsch now. Started off as nice idea for kid in the playground to show they where against bullying - and thats where it should have stayed.

If i was to see a multi bracletted chap/ess wandering down the street id probably think nothing off it and certainly not " ooo, look at all the good causes that person supports". If you dont *know* what they're about, theres little point to them.

And your making a fat profit for the braclet manufacturers who have finally found some purpose for their silly plastic braclets.

Exactly!!

What about a wrist band against corporate wristbands???

:lolol:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
brunswick said:
"oh i wear something because i dont like ppl being racist and i dont like ppl dying in diasasters"

pllleeeeeze.

Guardian reading teachers or ultra hip smelly students?

:wave:

Agreed. What a crock of shit! Same league as those stupid bits of tape on lapels to support gays or breast cancer or some such nonsense.

WE DON'T CARE WHAT/WHO YOU SUPPORT. OK?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
captainmorganrum said:
Oh yeah, I forgot - the world is just fine and everything is alright - so I should just sit on my sofa and be a good consumer.

Go back to the uncaring ignorant rock from which you crawled from and do not darken my door again.
:shootself

Well that REALLY makes the world a better place, i dont even know what half those ribbons mean.

Its just a form of self satisfaction, a hardcore racist will just ignore you or tell you to f*** of.

Blacks ive spoken to see it as a form of "Pacification". Yea I talk to people rather than wear angst laden sybols. Its suprising what effect talking has.

doing rather than posing.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The bands are to raise awareness, they aren't there to solve the worlds problems FFS.

If a kid sees one of his idols wearing a band they are going to want to know what it's about. For example, if a young kid who thought he was hard was bullying someone but then saw that Stevie Gerrard wears a blue band he might think twice about bullying the next time.

If a kid sees somebody he idolises wearing an anti rascism band and looks into it and works out what rascism is then it's a GOOD thing.

Quit yer moaning, it's getting boring.

*still waiting for blue band to come through*

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
REDLAND said:
Its not about expenditure though its a physical sign of support, the £1.50 give to Nike is suspossed to be just for production costs

Yeah, right!!!! Do you know that the people that make them are being paid a dollar a DAY to make the clothes and bands. According to a survey, over 30% of the people report being sexually molested and bullied. For Nike, the cost to make one of the bands is about 2 pence, probably less.

I personally think that Nike have seen that wearing bands are fashionable at the moment, have picked something that isnt a band, and have decided to make shit loads of money out of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here