Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The more I think about Cooper the more I think that he has all the main attributes apart from being an expert on the style of play that we have engrained in all levels of our teams over the past 5 years.
This has become part of our identity and as such I think we have to look beyond him. If there is a better candidate out there then they aren’t obvious.
True, but maybe a manager can adapt his style in the same way that our squad did and our new hires do.
Would certainly be better to find a manager that mirrors our style, but not out of the question IMO that we'll find someone a bit different... or be forced to by availability.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I wonder if potentially the style of football is likely to change and whether this is seen as important by TB. Both GP and RDZ have had us playing out from the back and the risks went up dramatically with RDZ. Will TB be happy to appoint a manager who plays counter attacking football in a more CH style (with better players than CH had) and hoofing far more than we have done under the last two managers?

Will a complete change of style be OK with you as long as we stay out of the relegation zone and will your enthusiasm go up or down if it happens? Some will bloody love an end to fannying about at the back, not me btw.

Somehow I expect TB to hang out as long as it takes to find a manager who’ll keep us playing as similarly as possible to how we have been under GP and RDZ. The options as far as I can see are pretty limited unless we are going to go very left field and appoint someone with no experience of English football.

Cooper is not one of those options more like a safer one, not convinced TB is going to be any more enthused about a step back than what seems, to me, like the majority of those on here would be.
I agree with a lot of what we're saying here, but maybe Cooper is adaptable 🤷🏼‍♂️?
Maybe he played a certain way at Forest because of the players available to him.
Maybe he'd adapt to our squad's skills.
I dunno...just saying it's not out of the question that he'd adapt too 🤔

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just been discussed on TS with one of the regular Albion podcasters (Seagulls Central ?) taking part in the chat. No new news.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
The more I think about Cooper the more I think that he has all the main attributes apart from being an expert on the style of play that we have engrained in all levels of our teams over the past 5 years.
This has become part of our identity and as such I think we have to look beyond him. If there is a better candidate out there then they aren’t obvious.
If he is interviewed, surely they'll ask him about continuity in the style of play, and if he gets the job, it'll be because he's got some sensible ideas about it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If he is interviewed, surely they'll ask him about continuity in the style of play, and if he gets the job, it'll be because he's got some sensible ideas about it.
Agree. A lot in his background also points to him being a suitable candidate - well qualified (one of the youngest ever to get a Pro licence for example), huge experience with younger players both at club level and with the National squad, used to the in/out of possession coaching model (which we use) etc etc. Forest fans I know speak very highly of him and there were several pundits suggesting he should be our target when Potter went to Chelsea.

Can see this happening, and can see him being a good long-term fit

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My mate a Wolves fan is pissing himself laughing from DeZerbi to Cooper Bloom can’t be serious.

Odd for a Wolves fan to laugh about that. They went from a high profile European coach to a relatively unknown English manager whose best achievement was keeping another club in the PL. And look how it worked out for them?

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agree. A lot in his background also points to him being a suitable candidate - well qualified (one of the youngest ever to get a Pro licence for example), huge experience with younger players both at club level and with the National squad, used to the in/out of possession coaching model (which we use) etc etc. Forest fans I know speak very highly of him and there were several pundits suggesting he should be our target when Potter went to Chelsea.

Can see this happening, and can see him being a good long-term fit
We also speak highly of CH because he got us promoted same for Forest fans and Cooper.
Does it mean he’s a good PL manager? Looked out of his depth when they were under pressure.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Odd for a Wolves fan to laugh about that. They went from a high profile European coach to a relatively unknown English manager whose best achievement was keeping another club in the PL. And look how it worked out for them?
He was gutted Lopetegui left almost in similar circumstances to RDZ. Can’t stand GON and reckons they will be in trouble next season. 1 win in the last ten and that was against Luton.
Do we really want to fall into the same trap with an unexciting cheap option?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
He was gutted Lopetegui left almost in similar circumstances to RDZ. Can’t stand GON and reckons they will be in trouble next season. 1 win in the last ten and that was against Luton.
I think the club has a problem now , they could not Compromise with RDZ who is a top manager, and let him go ,
so it was their choice , now they have to find someone who is not seen as a backward step

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If he likes Lopetegui, must have been delighted when we beat them 6-0.

GON caused us more difficulties than Lopetegui did. West Ham fans are already on the fence.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Definitely preferable to the whole "if we only had signed RDZ a Premier League-ready left-back-up, starting right back, two world class midfielders and two top class Premier League wingers in addition to our current lot of 27 first team players, we'd be top 6!" trap which leads to dark places.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think the club has a problem now , they could not Compromise with RDZ who is a top manager, and let him go ,
so it was their choice , now they have to find someone who is not seen as a backward step
We don’t know the full story with RDZ was he promised something he didn’t get? Easy to say he was the problem with the press narratives.
If Naylor was a decent Journalist he would get RDZ’s side of the story instead of blaming him for Fati.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Definitely preferable to the whole "if we only had signed RDZ a Premier League-ready left-back-up, starting right back, two world class midfielders and two top class Premier League wingers in addition to our current lot of 27 first team players, we'd be top 6!" trap which leads to dark places.
You really do seem to be anti-RdZ…

Whatever, you or others feel, he got us to our highest ever finishing league position and took us to Europe.

Disappointing how it ended, but then he wanted to progress faster than we were prepared to….. fair enough on all sides.

Best focus on looking forward rather than backwards….

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If he likes Lopetegui, must have been delighted when we beat them 6-0.

GON caused us more difficulties than Lopetegui did. West Ham fans are already on the fence.
I must be mistaken didn’t we batter Wolves at home last season?
Wolves went from bottom of the table to finish 13th under Lopetegui. Despite a few bumps in the road we would of been delighted if that was us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Doesn't fill me with confidence.
I’m out completely. I have absolutely no interest in him being a great bloke or having a brilliant personality if his tactics absolutely suck. He is nowhere near the level of Potter and De Zerbi in terms of understanding the game.

Luckily, TB does not believe in devolution so we wont be going back to Hughton-ball. Phew!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here