Wigan 1
Ipswich 0

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
dougdeep said:
Palace drew with Man. U. :angry:

That's not so bad as Southampton won, so there's only two points seperating them now. Plus :censored: have to play Chelsea next so they're not going to get anything there. A win next week for saints will see :censored: back where they belong and where they will stay till the end of the season- the relegation zone.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Attend: 14,908 at Stoke

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It looks like it might be a two horse race between Saints and Palace to see who goes down (unless Blackburn slump worsens).Which ever it is we still get a local derby next season.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Back to the match.....

This was a game with 0-0 written all over it, a combination of Stoke's inability in front of our goal, and Steve Simonson's competence in front of their own was enough to see that the result wouldn't be in question.

However, that doesn't take into account the bizarre officiating of this match. Perhaps it was the wind, rain and freezing temperatures at the Britannia Stadium, a ground that looks like it is just waiting to be finished, that had dulled the officials senses..., or maybe they are just that incompetent all the time. Whatever it was they were crap in almost equal measures to each team. I say almost equal, because by far and away the most bizarre decision was the second penalty, which effectively killed the game off; the Ref got the crime right, it was most definitely a handball, but how he managed to convince himself that it was a Brighton player who handled it I'll never know!!! The first penalty may or may not have been a correct decision, though my gut feeling was the player went down a bit easily, but as he was blocking my view of McCammon I couldn't tell whether the big man had tagged him or not.

The Albion were much livlier in the second half and forced Simonson into making several saves without really looking like they'd get back into the game. Not a bad performance really..., just not enough to beat twelve men.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Still angry about the referee and the linesmen :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Honestly was nearly worse than Prosser

Are you OK ?

Heard there was some Stoke fans larging it

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Ref was poor. Always seemed to keep stopping the game and wanting to be centre of attention. Bad for both sides the clearest penalty he didn't give. However we can't use the ref as an excuse we didn't play well in the first half and never did enough to trouble their keeper. We had a brief spell after half time but wasn't one of the teams better performances.

Yoda

English & European
Did anyone else get the feeling the ref knew someone who had Stoke down to win 2-0? Even more so after the 3rd (and most blatant) penalty appeal was turned down? ???

Another thing. According to the BBC, it was Hinsh that the handball for the 2nd penalty was given against. Yet the ball clearly hit a black players hand. :angry: :censored: :angry:

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
There must have been a sniper in the stands as their players went to ground so easily. This was the only way they were going to score - it was obvious why they had scored so few goals in the league - they were crap. Stoke had plenty of first half possession but did nothing with it. I can't remember any other shots they had on target and they couldn't hit ronnie moore's big mouth if they tried. Great improvement in second half (isn't it always when we're 2-0 down?) and if the first two were penalties then we should have had two in three seconds late on. One of the worst refereeing displays I've seen in a long while. 0-0 would have been a fairer result. Listened to the local radio on the way home and their fans were talking about the play-offs - laughed ? I nearly wet myself...

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
From the BBC site...

"Stoke 2-0 Brighton
Gifton Noel-Williams scored two penalties shortly before the interval as in-form Stoke saw off Brighton.
The striker's goals put paid to the Seagulls' early resistance and the Potters have now won four and drawn one of their last five matches.

Mark McCammon fouled Michael Duberry inside the box on 39 minutes for Noel-Williams to coolly convert.

And when Adam Hinshelwood handled Kevin Harper's corner a minute before half-time Noel-Williams struck again."

I thought the 2nd penalty was for a push as the handball was definately by a Stoke player. Why do big decisions like this always go against us - personally I don't think the big clubs like us in their league...and the referees don't like coming to Withdean...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think yesterday's result was just a one-off. The Sports Argus headline sums it up, "A Spot of Bother". Bring on Plymouth.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Didnt see you yesterday b.a.g. or OTLW, said he was going!

:wave:

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
Another Berkshire Seagull said:
Sky sports news only showing the second penalty, but just like when I saw it live it seems a very soft penalty to give.

See the video here: Sky Sports News

The boys will bounce back next week

Unbelievable! What more proof do you need of the total incompetence of the referee???

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
terrible decision for the second one. but... what goes around comes around, and i'm sure we'll pick up points courtesy of the referee/linesman soon!

Confident in us bouncing back next week! :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here