Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thank you Southgate, and goodbye

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Southgate has been our best manager in 25 years. He's got the players playing for each other and we've progressed. But there's nothing more he can offer and it's time for him to go.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Frank Lampard? Not taking the piss, we've already established you don't have to be a great league manager to get the England gig.
Lampard would probably be a very good choice. Didn't do great as a day to day league manager but preferred an attacking set up that would suit this England team. I'd be happy with him. Folk are thinking about international managers the wrong way. I think he'd have the full likeability score with the players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Eddie Howe is not a realistic appointment for England. Paying the Saudi state £10m-15m of money (earmarked to benefit all of British football) to have them release their manager is just a massive can of problems that could backfire in multiple ways.

As usual it will be either someone who is unemployed or cheap/simple to buy out.

If the FA go for another British manager, and they probably will, there's really only Graham Potter and Frank Lampard who fit the possible criteria of "being British, unemployed, had any amount of success in the PL and isn't Steve Bruce or Sam Allardyce".

Imho, if Southgate walks/gets fired, it will be either one of those two or Lee Carsley.
Exactly. They'd be the only three English managers in the frame.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes but no but yes……… is there an obvious candidate I cannot think of one if he needs to be English can command the respect of players from top clubs, has pedigree having played, managed or represented England at the top?

Well they don't need to be English. Serena Wiegman has done fine.

I agree Southgate appears to be tactically inflexible and slow to change but he is the first manager since Sir Bobby Robson who has almost won anything

If Bobby almost won something, then so did El Tel.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Goodbye Southgate, Goodbye Kane and can we also bin “It’s coming home “ for future tournaments please.
Well, it is kind of coming home for the next Euros.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Certainly didn't seem the best tactician and didn't have us playing great football. And yet we have had our best set of tournament results ever, outside of '66. So he was clearly doing many, many things right - he obviously understood how to manage a team through tournament football, in a way that so many supposedly better managers could not. So we will miss him. I fully expect however that when we lose an exciting WC round of 16 match to Argentina or Portugal in two years time the talk will probably be about how much 'better' manager X is than Gareth Southgate, remembering some nice fluid football but not the actual result.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did wonder why Potter turned down a couple of appointments recently. Maybe....
It's entirely possible.

A lot of respected journalists were talking about him being England manager when he was in his purple patch with us. The Chelsea stint may have muddied the waters a little but I'd certainly rather him than Fat Frank. Carsley is the joker in the pack, would be very "Team England" to promote from within.

From Potter's POV he gets to stay around here and keep the family settled if he gets it, which must be nice after eight years in a perma-dark, perma-frozen wasteland.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lampard would probably be a very good choice. Didn't do great as a day to day league manager but preferred an attacking set up that would suit this England team. I'd be happy with him. Folk are thinking about international managers the wrong way. I think he'd have the full likeability score with the players.
The same would apply to Stevie Gerrard. Can't see either being appointed, TBH.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's entirely possible.

A lot of respected journalists were talking about him being England manager when he was in his purple patch with us. The Chelsea stint may have muddied the waters a little but I'd certainly rather him than Fat Frank. Carsley is the joker in the pack, would be very "Team England" to promote from within.

From Potter's POV he gets to stay around here and keep the family settled if he gets it, which must be nice after eight years in a perma-dark, perma-frozen wasteland.
That worries me.

Please, no promotions from within. The whole management team needs refreshing.

I sorely doubt the FA have any answers though. Perhaps they should ask Star Lizard for some advice.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That worries me.

I sorely doubt the FA have any answers though. Perhaps they should ask Star Lizard for some advice.
Have Southgate’s Club England but replace player dogma with a defined playing style. Then select players based on applicable data who can implement that style irrespective of the club they play for. Oh - and also install a team that can coach that within the demands/limitations of International football. Star Lizard enough?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That worries me.

I have zero confidence in the FA to make the right appointment. Don't forget after Hodgson Southgate wasn't their first choice ...... they went for Sam Allardyce! And, yes, I too don't want to see an internal appointment from the current senior staff. Steve McClaren is still too hideous a memory.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I have zero confidence in the FA to make the right appointment. Don't forget after Hodgson Southgate wasn't their first choice ...... they went for Sam Allardyce! And, yes, I too don't want to see an internal appointment from the current senior staff. Steve McClaren is still too hideous a memory.
Barber is on the FA Council and Professional game boards now.

That gives me more confidence that the FA isn't the same rabble that appointed those dire managers.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Eddie Howe is not a realistic appointment for England. Paying the Saudi state £10m-15m of money (earmarked to benefit all of British football) to have them release their manager is just a massive can of problems that could backfire in multiple ways.

As usual it will be either someone who is unemployed or cheap/simple to buy out.

If the FA go for another British manager, and they probably will, there's really only Graham Potter and Frank Lampard who fit the possible criteria of "being British, unemployed, had any amount of success in the PL and isn't Steve Bruce or Sam Allardyce".

Imho, if Southgate walks/gets fired, it will be either one of those two or Lee Carsley.
This assumes the new regime at the beheaders wants to keep Howe. It’s possible appointing him would please all parties (and I also think that in their desire to sportswash the Saudis might let him go for a cheaper than usual fee)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't argue. He's done well and the players do play for him, but he just isn't tactically astute enough at the VERY highest level.
Yep, exactly this. The right manager at the right time after the 2016 shambles, but time for the next step of bringing someone in far more tactically astute and progressive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here