Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 2012-13 food and drink thread - prices, running out, quality and choice etc

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
As much as ypu don't like to pay more for the same product, £6.75 with the 10% is just about ok for me.

I don't mind £7.50 quite as much as some people seem to, as I thought £6.50 last season was quite a bargain.

If I go down my local I'll be paying £6.50 for 2 pints, so 1 pint and 1 pie for a quid extra doesn't seem too bad!

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I was shocked for the cost for a hot drink - £2, and it's only poor instant coffee - I wonder what the margin on that is?

Shall be bringing my thermos in future, and buying drinks from the local shops in Coldean.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
massive mark up on hot drinks,as for water,i pay 2.99 for 24 bottles of water for my shop and we dont have the buying power they have

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
TB......tell us what you're thinking next.

I'm glad everyone thinks this is important. The debate about what sort of club is needed for the area's support is necessary. Let's be honest the season before last, this club was kept running by the 7000, now its 25000 average probably this season. That means the demographic will change, and who wins the argument about things like the price of a pint and pie will decide the general direction the club heads in. Debate is healthy, the jury is out......and we need the judge (TB) to sum up the case.

PS: TB take note. I've got a life, and there's just so much I'll pay to watch a game of football, even after 36 years - £30 for a friendly really was the absolute limit today.:clap2:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
When I got back into Hove a pint and a bowl of chips cost me £6.50 (£4 for the pint). So £7.50 for a good quality pie with lots of meat and a pint still doesn't seem bad for a football ground.

Having said that, I saw people being told that it was more than that because the tills hadn't been updated since FBS. That's scandalous and sadly typical of Azure, who still take far too long over every transaction with their useless system. The club should refund everyone who paid over the odds.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I am afraid people like Barber are here to 'Maximise revenue' and that was clear in Bloom's interview which you can still watch via the BBC website.

The balance though is extremely tough mainly because of the travel plans we have to rely on. More than any other club if we price too high, not only will people not stay after the match in numbers, the post match travel will fall on its arse too so the board MUST be very aware of this.

It is already dangerously close to testing the budgets of the people that saved this club

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
went to WSL today for first time, had to wait from 3.40 til 3.59 to aquire my pint, with long queues still waiting, and some didnt achieve service either, is it always this slow in WSL ?,
i was charged £4.00 for pint of harveys, is this correct ? didnt question too much, as didnt want to further annoy those behind,
how long have this lot left on their contract?

its not so much a money issue for me, but will self-cater in future as just wont spend duration of half time in q,and miss start 2nd half..

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Wont be paying that for food so sandwiches next season. If the beer prices are true then I will be drinking less or probably outside the ground. What attracted me about last season is that priced reasonably enough to turn up early.

So much for encouraging fans to stay after the final whistle !

Didn't go today either because I'm not paying £30 quid for a friendly. I love my football but there is a limit to the amount of money I'm willing to pay beyond that. I can afford it but am sensitive to being ripped off.

Last edited:

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
The thing that served me completely f***ed it up! Had no idea at all? Worse than being served at Wembley Stadium....................Prices higher than last season and some of the deals taken away so the only one left is pie and pint or so I was told!

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
They tried to overchardge me today for a double decker chocolate bar !-
i told them they were breaking the law and the manager let me have the bar at the correct price- not that i gave him any choice!!

IN Dicks Bar a lady was overchartged for her double vodka and coke- its a disgrace.

on top of that - the pies have gone up by 30 pence- more than inflation- [so greed then!]
and no chips anywhere to be found!
ok the stadium is rather lovely but catering is rather pants.

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Did anyone try the cheesy chips in the North Today!

Whaaaaaaaat?! I try a different stand out for one game and they start selling chips!!! Cheesy ones!

I see that they have installed chip and pin machines now, should help for those who struggled to count the change properly....

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Have we heard there is no park and ride for Tuesday: thought it wasn't decided yet?

No P & R on Tuesday. Had to pay 10.00 for a parking space instead. I would have thought 5.00 would have been fairer! So no pies Tuesday either.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Don't like it don't pay it! Simple as!

How many of you lot moaning own a replica shirt? Do you think that is good value for money?

Exactly, wont be buying food at the ground next season and would never fork out for a shirt.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I think people are Missing bigger picture here as per my previous post. Pricing is VITAL and will affect travel to and from stadium.

It's a dangerous game the Albion are playing here. More dangerous than maybe they realise

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think people are Missing bigger picture here as per my previous post. Pricing is VITAL and will affect travel to and from stadium.

It's a dangerous game the Albion are playing here. More dangerous than maybe they realise

Yep, why would you hang around to be ripped off ?

I won't be rushing down or bother to buy any food. As nice as the pies are I've probably bought my last.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Yep, why would you hang around to be ripped off ?

Honestly, the history of Barber has 2 sides so I really think we should lobby the club about this. Maximising revenue on a corporate scale is one thing but testing the fans budgets with a club relying on a good travel scheme is quite another

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Honestly, the history of Barber has 2 sides so I really think we should lobby the club about this. Maximising revenue on a corporate scale is one thing but testing the fans budgets with a club relying on a good travel scheme is quite another

Let's look at a few things. It's widely speculated that our revenue was a lot less than expected last season, meaning Tony Bloom had to spend out more of his own cash to help out, and Ken Brown lost his job.

Toby has hired a new CEO, who has successfully when the business side of football clubs and associations in the past. Paul will have a target, set by Tony, to increase revenue by x%. Paul will do this how he sees fit. If people don't like it, dont use it. But it's pretty sad to see people's expectations for this club but not want to contribute, expecting our rich chairman to subsidise us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here