Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 2012-13 food and drink thread - prices, running out, quality and choice etc

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
If it made the ques quick it would be easier to justify, but i left at half time rushed down yet still missed 5 minutes of the second half, certainly wont be getting anything again. Prefer to be hungry than miss what i have gone there for...

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Let's look at a few things. It's widely speculated that our revenue was a lot less than expected last season, meaning Tony Bloom had to spend out more of his own cash to help out, and Ken Brown lost his job.

Toby has hired a new CEO, who has successfully when the business side of football clubs and associations in the past. Paul will have a target, set by Tony, to increase revenue by x%. Paul will do this how he sees fit. If people don't like it, dont use it. But it's pretty sad to see people's expectations for this club but not want to contribute, expecting our rich chairman to subsidise us.

Like I say, revenue on the bigger scale is one thing, fans feeling they are Being over charged is quite another. We are unique in our make up of where we are.

I am not against the math, but people staying at the stadium is vital so pushing the limits of the budgets of the fans has a bigger affect than your average club IMO

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
If it is all about maximising revenue then surely a speedier and more efficient workforce would pay for itself. For what it's worth I still think the bars will be rammed pre and post match irrespective of the price increase.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Its hardly a huge increase and its £6.75 with the 10% cashback, so if you buy a pie and a pint every match for 10 games, you get a free one effectively.

God help us if we ever reach the Premier League as prices for everything would be higher. Should go to an Olympic event or The O2 to see some actual expensive prices for food and drink (Burger, Chips and Drink at The O2 is near £10).

A club needs to make money at the end of the day or it wont exist, simple as that, if a slight increase makes the club more money, then im willing to pay-up, although if its a huge increase, then i wouldnt bother.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I want to be in the Premier League but I don't want to have to pay for it...

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Its hardly a huge increase and its £6.75 with the 10% cashback, so if you buy a pie and a pint every match for 10 games, you get a free one effectively.

God help us if we ever reach the Premier League as prices for everything would be higher. Should go to an Olympic event or The O2 to see some actual expensive prices for food and drink (Burger, Chips and Drink at The O2 is near £10).

A club needs to make money at the end of the day or it wont exist, simple as that, if a slight increase makes the club more money, then im willing to pay-up, although if its a huge increase, then i wouldnt bother.

But, it's our unique geographical nature that will command our pricing structure, mark my words , if we get this wrong, we are in trouble

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But, it's our unique geographical nature that will command our pricing structure, mark my words , if we get this wrong, we are in trouble

Of course, they need to get it right so they dont completely reduce sales by a huge amount - bit like riding a unicycle on a tightrope - its a tricky thing. If there was competition from others near the Amex like some other stadiums, the prices may be lower to attract customers, but seeing as BHAFC have a monopoly on the area, there is no choice.

That said, is the burger van at the station still there ?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Of course, they need to get it right so they dont completely reduce sales by a huge amount - bit like riding a unicycle on a tightrope - its a tricky thing. If there was competition from others near the Amex like some other stadiums, the prices may be lower to attract customers, but seeing as BHAFC have a monopoly on the area, there is no choice.

That said, is the burger van at the station still there ?

No. It's not. The club probably made sure of that. No Burger van.

The club is playing poker With fan revenue though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Let's look at a few things. It's widely speculated that our revenue was a lot less than expected last season

Really ?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the overall average matchday spend of football fans throughout the FL inside the ground was 90p, whereas at the Amex it was something like £4. Frankly, I'd be AMAZED if revenues at the Amex were less than expected last season. Dicks and the concourses were RAMMED long before and after kickoff with people opening their wallets, me included, and the fact they were constantly running out of everything would suggest they regularly under-catered for demand.

These increases are not quite enough to put me off my usual matchday spend....yet. The 10% cashback still brings it back to reasonable-ish value. But they don't want to be pushing it.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
For a decent pie and a pint 6.75 seems quite reasonable,if its a crap pie then yes it is a rip off,as Easy 10 says they really don't want to be pushing it though.
At Goodwood last week an organic hot beef roll was 6.50,baguette 7.30,and a portion of chips 3.20.Burger and chips twice cost nearly 20 pounds.Beef was lovely though so that rather softened the blow.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
To put it in to perspective, a bottle of soft drink at the Olympics this evening was 20p LESS than what I paid at The Amex this afternoon. The Olympics can get away with it because people are inside for hours and hours, the football most people are there for 2 hours, maybe 2 and a half hours? A 10% increase isn't enough to stop people buying it full stop, but it will make you think twice.

The price hike would be fair enough if the prices were decent enough in the first place. £1.50 at Withdean for a soft drink, £2 last season, I paid £2.50 today. If people think this is reasonable, when will it ever end? Will you be happy paying £6.50 for a Pepsi in 10 years time? No you bloody won't. Will you accept a 30p increase in beer every season? Again, no you won't.

Tell me to f*** off and support a League Two side? Do f*** off. I support this club just as much as the next person, but I won't be royally shafted when it comes to food and drink. I, and many others, will vote with their wallet, and not only will that lose the club the revenue they are clawing back in increased prices, but they'll suddenly find an extra 2,000 people stampeding to the station at 4:50pm on a Saturday when they are practically begging us to stay as long as possible.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The price hike was surprising and will make me think twice next time but seeing as I'm vegetarian it was quite a surprise to bite into my vegetarian pie (confirmed as a vegetarian pie on the box...) only to find chunks of chicken inside. I was rather unhappy. And this is not the first time my pie has been mis-labeled.

Oct 25, 2003
hmmmm, shall i have an actual pint of something I like out of an actual pint glass in an an actual pub where I can sit down, and possibily even have a smoke.....or shall I spend the same amount of money on a pint of flat fosters in a plastic cup, standing up..........tough choice

if they want me to get there early and leave late, which I was under the impression they did....then tough shit, make it competitive

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
People who say it's not a bad price for a good quality pie and a pint clearly didn't have a pie yesterday. Last season the pies were immense at the start but towards the end of the season the standard dropped massively. And it seems as though they have got even worse this season, 3 of us had pie and a pint and all of the pies were dried up and had no sauce in them. And this was at 1.00pm so i'd have expected them to be fairly fresh.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You may have been unlucky then because my pie was excellent. However, I would add that I have been looking forward to having another one all Summer, so maybe I'm blinkered!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The price hike was surprising and will make me think twice next time but seeing as I'm vegetarian it was quite a surprise to bite into my vegetarian pie (confirmed as a vegetarian pie on the box...) only to find chunks of chicken inside. I was rather unhappy. And this is not the first time my pie has been mis-labeled.

Did you really not check? I'd say 50% of the time they give you the wrong pie!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Let's look at a few things. It's widely speculated that our revenue was a lot less than expected last season, meaning Tony Bloom had to spend out more of his own cash to help out, and Ken Brown lost his job.

given the phenomenal sales of Harvey's (didnt we consume as much on a match as they would sell in all their pubs that week?), it safe to say that any lower than expected sales didnt come from the refreshment area of the business. monetising areas of the business that have been overlooked or getting better returns in some areas is one thing, hiking the price of refreshments in an easy money grab is another. people will simply stop buying if only from the perception they are being milked. its a discretionary purchase, one that people can already get (far) cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Exactly the dilemma
I think [MENTION=23539]Aadam[/MENTION] was being sarcastic.
People who say it's not a bad price for a good quality pie and a pint clearly didn't have a pie yesterday. Last season the pies were immense at the start but towards the end of the season the standard dropped massively. And it seems as though they have got even worse this season, 3 of us had pie and a pint and all of the pies were dried up and had no sauce in them. And this was at 1.00pm so i'd have expected them to be fairly fresh.
Yesterday was the first time I've had a pie with sauce in! It was almost tasty though still needed some flavouring a little worcester source and some stock would do the trick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here