Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 2012-13 food and drink thread - prices, running out, quality and choice etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First non 1901 experience last night in the North Stand (liked it) arrived 19.15, first kiosk - no pies, second kiosk - chicken only. Now I would have thought that half an hour before kick off was optimum pie selling time so epic fail.

Agree. And how difficult is it to keep supplies at the appropriate level? Seems to be a major failing in the operation with either their planning or logistics or both.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This is only a personal opinion, but I have had two pies at the Amex now and I wont bother again. £ 3.90 last night for a steak pie that quite honestly was not very nice, gristly and gave me terrible indigestion and ended up on the loo most of the night ( and it wasnt anything else as that was all I ate)

Don't understand as had a pie at Lewes at the REMF and it was very nice.

Also didnt know they stopped serving beer 10 minutes before KO in the second half....if that is so , when the ground is full, they had better advertise that or there will be some very angry punters!

There are pretty big signs in each kiosk that tell you when they can serve you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why have they stopped selling kronenbourg in the ground?

Given the lack of veggie burgers, one would have to assume the same reason - (relatively) low demand.

What I'll say is how can true demand levels for any product at the Amex be accurately gauged when...

1. People often don't buy because they can't be served due to the length of queue.
2. People often don't get their choice of product because it's "sold out".
3. People choose another option (bottle of Fosters from a hawker, say) instead of what they actually want (pint of Kronie over the counter) because one is easier to obtain than the other.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, one year on and there seems to be no improvement. I agree with [MENTION=46]Lush[/MENTION] comment that they are a growing stain on our shiney stadium.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What I'll say is how can true demand levels for any product at the Amex be accurately gauged when...

1. People often don't buy because they can't be served due to the length of queue.
2. People often don't get their choice of product because it's "sold out".
3. People choose another option (bottle of Fosters from a hawker, say) instead of what they actually want (pint of Kronie over the counter) because one is easier to obtain than the other.

To qualify this, from my own experiences...

Cider is my drink of choice and whilst I would never, ever, ever choose Strongbow as my cider, I'd still choose it over lager and ale. Yet, last season, I had far more Harvey's than cider, particularly pre-match and mid-match as I just couldn't face the queues at the main kiosks. I possibly even had more of those little Fosters bottles too. Assumption to be drawn from my spending habits: limited demand for cider.

On several occasions, having reached the front of a kiosk queue, I found there were neither any veggie pies nor any veggie burgers so I bought some crisps. Assumption to be drawn here: limited demand for veggie products.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Didn't they say last season they were ordering new ovens to improve the pie supply issues?

Will enough people stop buying stuff for them to bring prices back down? Very much doubt it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
To qualify this, from my own experiences...

Cider is my drink of choice and whilst I would never, ever, ever choose Strongbow as my cider, I'd still choose it over lager and ale. Yet, last season, I had far more Harvey's than cider, particularly pre-match and mid-match as I just couldn't face the queues at the main kiosks. I possibly even had more of those little Fosters bottles too. Assumption to be drawn from my spending habits: limited demand for cider.

On several occasions, having reached the front of a kiosk queue, I found there were neither any veggie pies nor any veggie burgers so I bought some crisps. Assumption to be drawn here: limited demand for veggie products.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Sadly poor service providers base decision on this basis. It happens in the biggest multinationals too. There is a rival company to mine that turned down a location for an outlet on the basis that 'they didn't have customers there'. The nearest one of their outlets was 18miles away. My company (nearest outlet 17 miles away) took a punt and very soon busted the projected customer base in half the time.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No Kronenbourg would be shit. Can't be putting up with Fosters . Bigger issue than the price for me.

You need a 5% + beer so you can when running late you can smash back a couple and get an effect. Fosters is gnats piss.

Shocking if that has been pulled from WSU

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Last night they have signs on the counter for the Kuipers meatball pie, when you get there the only pie that they have available at all, is a Chicken and Chorizo. Why not take the signs down to avoid people queing up to find they havent got what they are advertising?

Was there an explanation as to why they stopped selling beer at 7.25 in the WSL last night? I assumed they where trying to get people to go and see Wiley?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It wasn't the waitress that told me about the costs increases.

But as for food prices not increasing...? Food prices for everyone have been going up constantly for ages - by far too much.

I thought inflation had pegged back over the past 6-9 months? I'm not disputing increases but you said hefty and the prices at the AMEX have risen by some crazy amounts. In my opinon this is not consistent with what I see everywhere else.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
They can afford to sell the pies for £2.20 in the co-op in Hove so I'm not sure £3.90 is down to the product costs increasing that much!

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
No Kronenbourg would be shit. Can't be putting up with Fosters . Bigger issue than the price for me.

You need a 5% + beer so you can when running late you can smash back a couple and get an effect. Fosters is gnats piss.

I think this is a big issue, alot of people will keep spending no matter what the cost, but if there is a lack of variety ie Fosters,Strongbow,Harveys a number of people will drink elsewhere. Also on another note why is a bottle of Fosters £3.50 in the West stand and £3.70 in the North.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought inflation had pegged back over the past 6-9 months? I'm not disputing increases but you said hefty and the prices at the AMEX have risen by some crazy amounts. In my opinon this is not consistent with what I see everywhere else.

Inflation covers a myriad of issues, not just food. Personally, I consider 10% food increase costs from suppliers (and suppliers' suppliers) to be hefty.

In talking to some people at the club over the past few months, I sort of understood that the prices last year were kind of artificially low (my phrase), straining the various cost demands. While it's disappointing that prices have gone up by 8% (except Piglet's - 12%), I'm not surprised. We could always see Piglet's go out of business and go down the Pukka Pie route, I suppose - at least they'd be cheaper.

As I said earlier, it would have been nice for some statement to be made by the club and/or Azure to have 'regretfully' announced the increase with an additional statement as to how they've ironed out their previous issues.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

When Harvey's isn't there, Kronenbourg is my second drink of choice.

However, people aren't buying it, it would seem.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A bottle of Sprite/7up at £2.30 was a little steep, and I thought of someone like Krispies who has taken two children with him, put a pie in for good measure and that is going to be an expensive day.

Just for info, and I have not read everything today, there was no Kronenburg in the North Stand.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I said earlier, it would have been nice for some statement to be made by the club and/or Azure to have 'regretfully' announced the increase with an additional statement as to how they've ironed out their previous issues.

Have they (ironed out their previous issues)? I've not been to the Amex this pre-season but this thread isn't filling me with confidence that anything* has changed from last season.

(* - excluding the increase in prices and the reduction in choice.)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We could always see Piglet's go out of business and go down the Pukka Pie route, I suppose - at least they'd be cheaper.

alarmist given that the self same pie is 2.20 in the Co-op. Azure must be at least doubling the cost price to heat and sell. That's some mark up when your average railway station Burger king uses a maximum 40% mark up for Burgers, 66% for chips and drinks.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Have they (ironed out their previous issues)? I've not been to the Amex this pre-season but this thread isn't filling me with confidence that anything* has changed from last season.

(* - excluding the increase in prices and the reduction in choice.)

Personally i am not holding out much hope, neither Chelsea or Reading was particullarly good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here