Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes: Second Test, Adelaide - The 100% OFFICIAL thread [Merged]

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
Lazy days play! Such an extortionate run rate! :lol:

Just tiring out your bowlers my dear. Did you see howe slowly Mr McGrath moved when he could have caught Pieterson in the last over and then the WEARY look in his eyes? He's f***ed.

Collingwood looks composed and it shows confidence that he didn't go after his ton before the end of play. Pieterson looks to have a bit of luck on his side too.

Still it's only one day but definitely England's, just a shame the openers aren't firing.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
1 day does not a test make! But I was a bit frustrated at the lack of wickets we took.... :lol:

Shit stars? oi thats not nice... :down:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
tedebear said:
1 day does not a test make! But I was a bit frustrated at the lack of wickets we took.... :lol:

Shit stars? oi thats not nice... :down:

No offence TB! To be fair it looks a belter of a pitch, no movement off the pitch or in the air, so to take 3 wickets on that is a pretty good effort i reckon. Although all 3 shots were very poor especially Bell's he was well set.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well done England - good day for us :clap: :clap:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
SJ's Love Monkey said:
No offence TB! To be fair it looks a belter of a pitch, no movement off the pitch or in the air, so to take 3 wickets on that is a pretty good effort i reckon. Although all 3 shots were very poor especially Bell's he was well set.

3 wickets ain't bad, but I find that sort of pitch frustrating! Not many wickets, not many runs.....blah!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I awoke and switch on teletext at 2.30am or thereabouts. I saw that we were 58/2 and then read that Monty was not playing. I almost cried myself to sleep (not really :lol: ) but I am pleased with our recovery and hopefully we can bat out the rest of tomorrow, putting the aussies in at 5.30GMT or thereabouts.

Ps Fletcher you inuit - play MOnty for the love of God!!! :angry:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Barrel of Fun said:
I awoke and switch on teletext at 2.30am or thereabouts. I saw that we were 58/2 and then read that Monty was not playing. I almost cried myself to sleep (not really :lol: ) but I am pleased with our recovery and hopefully we can bat out the rest of tomorrow, putting the aussies in at 5.30GMT or thereabouts.

Ps Fletcher you inuit - play MOnty for the love of God!!! :angry:

Even more so on this pitch! Having said that Warne has bowled 27 overs and hasn't bagged a wicket yet, has that ever happened in his test career? If he can't take wickets on it i fear for Gilo!

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Just tiring out your bowlers my dear. Did you see howe slowly Mr McGrath moved when he could have caught Pieterson in the last over and then the WEARY look in his eyes? He's f***ed.

Collingwood looks composed and it shows confidence that he didn't go after his ton before the end of play. Pieterson looks to have a bit of luck on his side too.

Still it's only one day but definitely England's, just a shame the openers aren't firing.

Its clear that both sides play the safety game, with what they know and trust. McGrath should no more be playing than Giles.

Sometimes Fletcher to win matches and to prove you're not a Sven you must make tough and possibly Risky decisions.

But win you will!

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
A good day was made better by the little acceleration that KP gave us. In the morning session the Aussies quickly worked out that the pitch wouldn't help them much and that it was slow so put in some very clever fiedling placements to try and deter aggressive strokeplay. Also with McGrath, Warne and Clark they have 3 of the most disciplined bowlers in the world.

Coupled with the fact that the outfield is really slow scoring at 3 runs an over is perfectly acceptable. We just have to build on it and make sure we get in excess of 500.

The problem will arise in that where are we going to get 20 wickets from. Not having Monty in the side for the 4th innings I think we will regret. And do Harmy and Anderson have the discipline to bowl line and length. Hoggard and Freddie will.

SJ's Love Monkey said:
Even more so on this pitch! Having said that Warne has bowled 27 overs and hasn't bagged a wicket yet, has that ever happened in his test career? If he can't take wickets on it i fear for Gilo!

The pitch crumbles slowly, so the side bowling last will really reap the benefits. The pre match commentators have implied there is something in this pitch for all players at some stage.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seagull over NZ said:
A good day was made better by the little acceleration that KP gave us. In the morning session the Aussies quickly worked out that the pitch wouldn't help them much and that it was slow so put in some very clever fiedling placements to try and deter aggressive strokeplay. Also with McGrath, Warne and Clark they have 3 of the most disciplined bowlers in the world.

Coupled with the fact that the outfield is really slow scoring at 3 runs an over is perfectly acceptable. We just have to build on it and make sure we get in excess of 500.

The problem will arise in that where are we going to get 20 wickets from. Not having Monty in the side for the 4th innings I think we will regret. And do Harmy and Anderson have the discipline to bowl line and length. Hoggard and Freddie will.
Agree with that assessment. A win remains highly improbable because we won't be able to take 20 wickets, especially with a track like that. Even bowling superbly to a set field will be no guarantee.

The Australian bowling was top drawer again. England had to work so hard for their runs which meant that by the time we lost our second wicket not long before lunch we had only scored 45 runs - that in itself puts a lot of pressure on the batting team. So enormous credit to Bell and Collingwood for batting us out of trouble.

If we are going to win, we need to bat all day tomorrow, and take quick wickets on Sunday. Let's see how the Aussies cope with chasing 400 to avoid the follow-on...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:bounce:

I'm EXCITED! Bubs is asleep but due a feed at 1am which means I'm watching for a good while and England have the possibility to post 400+ today. Here's hoping Colly gets his ton and KP hits Warne for SIX again.

450 needed for par England...you can do it....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Radio says play starts at 12 (it was 12.30 yesterday), is this correct?

I will have a look for a link similar to last nights!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Withdean Wanderer said:
Radio says play starts at 12 (it was 12.30 yesterday), is this correct?

I will have a look for a link similar to last nights!

BBC says play to resume at 00.30 GMT. That should be right. Adelaide, like India, is in half a time zone.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Need to be looking at 500 minimum

Just going to watch the highlights on BBC2

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here