Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Budget - March 2020

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Of course, we will get hit with the virus, but now we won't have the EU, sucking the life blood out of us.

Honey and milk is on it's way and with the spirit duty, held we can have a shot of Jameison in there too.

Jameisons??

As a proud Brexiteer shouldn’t you be drinking Plymouth Gin, or even a Scottish single malt, not some EU brew
distilled within the Evil Empire?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No mention whatsoever of the commitment to pay the EU £40 billion under the Withdrawal Agreement whilst simultaneously losing the economic benefits of Single Market / Customs Union.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No mention whatsoever of the commitment to pay the EU £40 billion under the Withdrawal Agreement whilst simultaneously losing the economic benefits of Single Market / Customs Union.

psst, because its already budgeted for, no additional spending to settle with the EU. they just wanted promise the expected funds would come through.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
psst, because its already budgeted for, no additional spending to settle with the EU. they just wanted promise the expected funds would come through.

As long as Johnson is trustworthy, keeps his word, and doesn't extend this thing that isn't called membership but has all the aspects of membership :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is the correct answer. Budget speeches never give a line by line listing of all tax and spend items in the year to come, especially existing items. That’s in the accompanying, scintillating books.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Large chunk of 'additional' spending is just replacing what we would have had back from the EU (so it's a recycling job)

The rest funded from more borrowing. This is good, but I await the wailing and gnashing of teeth from those that insisted there was no magic money tree, austerity was a 'necessity' and increasing debt would lead to the end of the world as we know it...

Very very little in terms of measures to increase government income (tax).

So while they have learned that they need to dump austerity (finally!) and throw some money at some stuff, they are not thinking long term and clearly not taking inequality or climate change seriously. (unsuprisingy). I am unclear what strategy is on industrial policy -which makes throwing money at infrastructure a bit risky.

So in summary - stealing Labour's ideas and then using them badly.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
HSBC have just put interest rates up on most of their new fixed rate mortgage deals. Good to see the big banks looking after the little people as always!

Wasn't there a time when the mortgage rate went up or down depending on the Bank of England's rate moves.)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
HSBC have just put interest rates up on most of their new fixed rate mortgage deals. Good to see the big banks looking after the little people as always!

Change to a building society who looks after their members.

[tweet]1237686675507236864[/tweet]

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Bit of an ignorant statement if I may say so

Shareholders don't do work, they simply buy a "share" to become an owner [investor] of the business - dividend being a proceed of the profit achieved.
Not such a perk in recent years since dividend is now taxed 9% above £2k.

Unfair to claim we "dodge" NI when we are still complying fully with the NI tax legislation - we do pay corporation tax too so we still pay our whack of tax ....

Under IR35 I will be deducted PAYE, Employee NI AND Employers NI at source which will be more tax than a permie.
But at the same time, will NOT get sick pay, holiday or pension contribution [and any other employee benefits/rights] from my "employer" so I'm getting all the tax [and some] of a permie with NONE of the benefits.

There may be trouble ahead ....

but do you get the same rate of pay as the permie? in my experience your take home pay will probably be higher for doing the same work. I worked for a very large company in IT and employed contractors earning 3 times what i got often for less hours. I made a decision that i preferred constant pay, paid holidays and a pension to more (lots more) current income. The contractors also had a lot less stress as they could get on with techie work and could avoid the politics. Each to his own.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe the company that prints our Black passports in Poland can give us a good deal on printing all this new money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here