Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I'd say the Rose Bowl was 95% full last night and plenty of Brave shirts in the audience.
I was flicking through the channels and saw a crowd shot which made smile wondering what the pretendence would be and if you are saying 95% then I reckon you could get a job at the Albion! The stands looked like the East at 84 mins!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Follow Southern Brave, and go boldly where others shy away. Endlessly curious, with an insatiable appetite for adventure, what’s over the horizon?"
Bankruptcy?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I'd say the Rose Bowl was 95% full last night and plenty of Brave shirts in the audience.
I was there and it certainly wasn't 95% full but when we bought tickets a couple of weeks ago, it was almost sold out apart from singles dotted around. We couldn't get four together.

the only empty area was at the top of the stand Ingleby-Mckenzie stand which may have been reserved for sponsor freebies as it is in front of a hospitality area , the rest of the ground was fairly full. It is also a mistake to look at the TV to assess the size of the crowd. About half the crowd were children, many of whom watched for a while and the went off to play cricket behind the stands or take part in the various activities around the ground. The catering was busy throughout the matches as well so lots of people were not in their seats for the whole time.

Whilst the crowd was much bigger for the men's match - understandably as it started at 6:30 so people could come after work - but the numbers watching the women's match were much higher than when I went a couple of years ago and there were quite a few people who stayed only for the Women's game and left before the men started.

Whilst the pretendence might have been close to 100%, I would say the actual attendance was between 85 and 90% and yes, as Crodo points out, there were a surprising number of people in team shirts and the shop was rammed.

For purists, the DJ, the constant exhortations to send in selfies or vote for Freya Kemp's walk on music might be grating but the cricket was mostly high quality (the improvement in the standard of the Women over the past five years has been extraordinary) and there were a lot of people having fun, especially children. There was also a complete lack of the drunken rowdiness that often accompanies T20 blast matches. I'm all for a bit of drunken rowdiness but, without doubt, it puts off parents with younger children and the absence of this element made the whole thing much more inclusive and safe for kids to just wander around unaccompanied.

The format itself is a bit shit - it's quite hard to judge the relative progress of the team batting second and the 5 ball overs with ten from each end just seems willfully perverse - but I think it was necessary to do this so that the Hundred could carve out its own niche as "not just another T20 competition".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was there and it certainly wasn't 95% full but when we bought tickets a couple of weeks ago, it was almost sold out apart from singles dotted around. We couldn't get four together.

the only empty area was at the top of the stand Ingleby-Mckenzie stand which may have been reserved for sponsor freebies as it is in front of a hospitality area , the rest of the ground was fairly full. It is also a mistake to look at the TV to assess the size of the crowd. About half the crowd were children, many of whom watched for a while and the went off to play cricket behind the stands or take part in the various activities around the ground. The catering was busy throughout the matches as well so lots of people were not in their seats for the whole time.

Whilst the crowd was much bigger for the men's match - understandably as it started at 6:30 so people could come after work - but the numbers watching the women's match were much higher than when I went a couple of years ago and there were quite a few people who stayed only for the Women's game and left before the men started.

Whilst the pretendence might have been close to 100%, I would say the actual attendance was between 85 and 90% and yes, as Crodo points out, there were a surprising number of people in team shirts and the shop was rammed.

For purists, the DJ, the constant exhortations to send in selfies or vote for Freya Kemp's walk on music might be grating but the cricket was mostly high quality (the improvement in the standard of the Women over the past five years has been extraordinary) and there were a lot of people having fun, especially children. There was also a complete lack of the drunken rowdiness that often accompanies T20 blast matches. I'm all for a bit of drunken rowdiness but, without doubt, it puts off parents with younger children and the absence of this element made the whole thing much more inclusive and safe for kids to just wander around unaccompanied.

The format itself is a bit shit - it's quite hard to judge the relative progress of the team batting second and the 5 ball overs with ten from each end just seems willfully perverse - but I think it was necessary to do this so that the Hundred could carve out its own niche as "not just another T20 competition".
T20 games often look half-full, but that’s because loads book it as a more of a social occasion and spend as much time in the bars as they do watching the cricket. Imagine this is at least as much the situation in the Hundred, if not even more so, particularly groups going after work etc.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You know the Hundred is well and truly back on our screens when Simon 'Doully' Doull is commentating again. He absolutely f***ing loves franchise cricket.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So the half empty stadium bollocks is about to start on BBC 2.

Salt is about to bat. I'll be turning off when he's out

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The batsman's Holden the bowler's Willey.

And Holden is out. 3 for 2.

Edit: And out first ball. 3 for 3. Good news - this isn't lasting long.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just found this channel hopping.

Has there been a fire drill at Old Trafford? I hope everyone’s ok and someone has moved the complimentary crisps to a safe area.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
How good to the Welsh Fire look?!

Doully said they look one of the outstanding franchise sides he's seen recently and he's seen a lot of franchise cricket. Also said the atmosphere is electric at OT.

Lydia Greenway talking up the format and how it's bought the best out of the Welsh Fire because every game in itself is a mini final.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Doully's Meerkat match hero is Dave Willy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

'The catering was busy throughout the matches as well so lots of people were not in their seats for the whole time'

Although we have to cut the attendees some slack. It is a long evening. Maybe they should reduce the amount of balls in these things. I think a new competition 'The Ten' would be a huge hit*

*Excuse me for this. I do like to drop by and leave a comment of dull dissatisfaction now and then as this thread is just a Crodo wind up. He's made precisely 2 comments on the Sussex thread this season and none on the Test match ones.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think we already know who the Meerkat Match Hero is going to be for this game

:lolol:

Unbelievable from Shaun Abbott, 10 consecutive balls, 2 runs, 4 wickets.

:O
Phoenix supporters absolutely cock a hoop.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Phoenix supporters absolutely cock a hoop.
👍 Thanks for letting us know

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

👍 Thanks for letting us know
You're welcome.

Also what about the London Spirit shirt. :love:

1294-791.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here