• Don't care

Votes: 32 11.1%
  • Not acceptable in modern day democracy

Votes: 63 22.0%

• Total voters

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
We should always remember that the queen bravely stayed in london during WW2 , not like my grandad, who upon the declaration of war, f***ed off to france , north africa, italy and finally germany, the shame will live with our family forever :lolol:

The bastard! I know how you feel though as one of my Grandads did the self same thing,while the other one spent the Second World War sailing around the North and South Atlantic,Pacific and South China sea and then hid away in the Arctic Ocean.I too feel the shame you have experienced.

I also feel the shame. All these years, I thought I suffered alone in silent disgrace.

My Grandad also did a runner to Burma. I think my Grandad Regretted this cowardly behaviour, because on his travels he upset some Japanese chap who shot half his leg off! Sweet Karma I guess!!!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
What about another question:

Did the royal family arrange the death of Princess Diana?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Statistically, the most popular city/country for tourism is Paris/France.

If we really want to use the Windsors to get the tourist numbers over here up, we need to follow their lead and invest in a guillotine.
Most sensible thing you've ever said.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
You can have a monarchy (though I'd rather we didn't), but don't go around preaching to the world about democracy. The UK is not a democracy from the Queen to the House of Lords.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
They would not be my first choice but neither would Prince Charles. At least if we voted Clegg, Boris or whoever in to office we could remove them 5 years later if we wanted, we have no such escape clause with charlie.

But, dont be shy, who would it be, and under what system?

1) US/France/Russia - All powerful political and symbolic leader (wife and kids representing the first family and dominating the media and institutions), or

2) Germany/Ireland/Italy - A purely symbolic head of state elected to represent the on state visits home and abroad?

As one of many commmitted uber-democrats on this thread how about your preference and a list of the candidates for us to ruminate on? Presumably you would want the electorate to have a vote on the options first?

If it is 1) I presume you would be happy for us to have President Cameron and the first lady Samantha now, and waiting in the Wings President Edward Miliband and the first lady Justine.

If it is 2) who do you want on the shortlist for us to vote for...............

A mate of mine thought with option 2) it should come from a selection of business, media, sport and art types. By his own admission his only realistic suggestion was Branson...............who at least is more richer than the Queen. What do you think?

Out of interest what level of concern do you have that you didn't get to vote for Herman Van Rompuy, Jose Manuel Barroso or Jerzy Buzek?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Out of interest what level of concern do you have that you didn't get to vote for Herman Van Rompuy, Jose Manuel Barroso or Jerzy Buzek?

aye, people should be far more concerned about the unelected EU leaders who dictate our law rather than a figure head who acts as chairman of the board, with little executive power.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
But, dont be shy, who would it be, and under what system?

1) US/France/Russia - All powerful political and symbolic leader (wife and kids representing the first family and dominating the media and institutions), or

2) Germany/Ireland/Italy - A purely symbolic head of state elected to represent the on state visits home and abroad?

As one of many commmitted uber-democrats on this thread how about your preference and a list of the candidates for us to ruminate on? Presumably you would want the electorate to have a vote on the options first?

If it is 1) I presume you would be happy for us to have President Cameron and the first lady Samantha now, and waiting in the Wings President Edward Miliband and the first lady Justine.

If it is 2) who do you want on the shortlist for us to vote for...............

A mate of mine thought with option 2) it should come from a selection of business, media, sport and art types. By his own admission his only realistic suggestion was Branson...............who at least is more richer than the Queen. What do you think?

Don't know, don't care, as long as they were voted in, that's fine with me. I would probably vote for Liz if she was a choice, as long as it was only Liz and not her entire extended family.

Yes, Europe and the lack of democracy concerns me but that is easily solved, get the f*** out of it. However it is difficult for us to preach to them about democracy while not practicing it ourselves.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
All the power the Monarch has is really symbolic, the last time a Bill through Parliament was stopped was by Queen Anne in the 18th century.
So the argument of more democracy is really rather void.

If you want to make changes to democracy by removing unelected leaders, then look at the House of Lords or Europe. Which is a much bigger problem.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
On ringing some bell over the weekend... Sky reported that Prince Charles said...'you cant beat a good bong'....not sure if that means he does have the common touch, or not....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Nice story SCS but she probably believes in Santa and the tooth fairy as well. When she gets older I hope you will teach her that democracy is a precious thing that we must keep fighting for or we will risk losing it.

She DOES believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy! We are very much a democratic family so no worries there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't know, don't care, as long as they were voted in, that's fine with me. I would probably vote for Liz if she was a choice, as long as it was only Liz and not her entire extended family.

Yes, Europe and the lack of democracy concerns me but that is easily solved, get the f*** out of it. However it is difficult for us to preach to them about democracy while not practicing it ourselves.

The Queen & DofE are the only ones who receive money from the Civil List of which 70% is spent on their staff's salaries.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/Sourcesoffunding/TheCivilList.aspx

There are 7 countries in the European Union with constitutional monarchies. Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden & us.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
The Queen & DofE are the only ones who receive money from the Civil List of which 70% is spent on their staff's salaries.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/Sourcesoffunding/TheCivilList.aspx

There are 7 countries in the European Union with constitutional monarchies. Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden & us.

Thanks for the link TB, but that web site is about as unbiased as steve fosters Jewish chronicle web site that he is so keen to quote from.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
556408_10150875731798842_613387337_n.jpg

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I'm in my fifties and don't expect to see this country emerge from centuries of unelected, inherited rule into the sunlit uplands of democracy during my time either. Such deeply entrenched belief systems, like religion, and Father Christmas, take a long time to cure.:)

YOU Have toned it down,why ?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
What do you care, I was under the impression you don't pay tax because you don't believe in it.

probably paid more tax in my life than you ever will.....but of course i care whether i pay tax now or not, simply because other good people are paying for ths NLP PR gig - get the feel good as long weekend and warm - link it to the monarchy, get some nice graphics, military, and the media behind it=- 50 million people loving the monarchy.

PressTV - Diamond Jubilee costs UK economy £275m

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
aye, people should be far more concerned about the unelected EU leaders who dictate our law rather than a figure head who acts as chairman of the board, with little executive power.

...and what about the people behind the EU politicians who dictate who they are and what direction they go in? For example...drumroll....the bilderberg group? oh, i remember now, nothing, they are ok, so its just the EU lot you stop at then? That is the top crust of all the decisions in your eyes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here