Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official NSC Bird Spotting Thread.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Indeed it could - as the peregrine flies its probably less than 2 miles
Could be. The Peregrines that are seen at the Amex hunting the pigeon that roost on the roof could be from anywhere reasonably local - they nest in Lewes , along the cliffs at Rottingdean and at Sussex Heights.

I lived in BN3 for many years, the Peregrines I saw in that location were very likely from the nestbox on the Shoreham Power Station or Sussex Heights but without the ringing data, impossible to tell which birds are from where for sure or which individual one is looking at.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I see Red Kites above Copthorne Golf Club most weeks.
In fact I saw one on the second hole yesterday (before the rain gods closed the course) on the ground from about 35 yards - I think it must have just pounced on something. Impressive looking animal that close up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Saw a Sparrow Hawk on our back-garden fence on Sunday, the second time in 3 years.

Beautiful bird, although I worried about the implications for our regular local garden birds, like sparrows (obviously), robins, blue tits, and goldfinches.
We always know when the female sparrowhawk is hunting around here. The birds stop singing.

She stopped by for lunch a while ago...

1726927780137.jpeg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I have seen one over Benfield and one over Woodingdean. There have been a few the other side of Worthing as well. they are spreading
There are a good few around Lewes too.

I’ve seen a pair near the Kingston roundabout once or twice but have frequently seen them on the road from The Rainbow pub to Barcombe.

I’m hoping that some will make their home near the Amex eventually.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There are a good few around Lewes too.

I’ve seen a pair near the Kingston roundabout once or twice but have frequently seen them on the road from The Rainbow pub to Barcombe.

I’m hoping that some will make their home near the Amex eventually.
I’ve seen one on Castle Hill which is I guess about a mile away………

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
We always know when the female sparrowhawk is hunting around here. The birds stop singing.

She stopped by for lunch a while ago...

View attachment 189202
Had a Sparrowhawk in the garden yesterday where it killed one of the wood pigeons that regularly visit .
I cleaned up the mess left behind so that the dog wouldn't get it.
This morning the Sparrowhawk came back for breakfast but was disappointed.
Sadly couldn't get a decent photo of it as it flew off every time I went near the patio doors.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a subtle shift in visitors over the last couple of years. Previously inundated with mostly Blue and Great Tits (they also use our nestboxes) plus the regular Nuthatches, Robins, Wrens and suchlike (plus bigger woodland residents like jays, woodpeckers etc) but now getting increasing numbers of Goldfinches (this is the second year we've had an obvious group of youngsters feeding with the parents) and now Greenfinches. My neighbour often talked about the hordes of Greenfinches that he used to see in the 80s but we'd never seen them until recently (we've lived here almost 30 years, he's been here 40 and is an avid bird man) - from an initial pair last summer we're now getting several on the feeders multiple times a day. Costing me a fortune in sunflower hearts :lolol:

Last edited:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Had a subtle shift in visitors over the last couple of years. Previously inundated with mostly Blue and Great Tits (they also use our nestboxes) plus the regular Nuthatches, Robins, Wrens and suchlike (plus bigger woodland residents like jays, woodpeckers etc) but now getting increasing numbers of Goldfinches (this is the second year we've had an obvious group of youngsters feeding with the parents) and now Greenfinches. My neighbour often talked about the hordes of Greenfinches that he used to see in the 80s but we'd never seen them until recently (we've lived here almost 30 years, he's been here 40 and is an avid bird man) - from an initial pair last summer we're now getting several on the feeders multiple times a day. Costing me a fortune in sunflower hearts :lolol:
Yep - I’ve started putting my sunflower seed feeders out again - summer moult is over ( when my garden birds keep a low profile ) and they’re all flocking back into the garden again.

Currently sitting outside the doors to the Diagnostic Centre at Ely Hospital waiting for my transport to arrive to take me home - had a Common Buzzard fly over followed by a Peregrine a few minutes later ( first I’ve seen for months ) . Cheered me up no end. 🙂

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Very spring like today - I even took my coat off!!

Been here nearly 3 years now. Loving it!
It would be great if you did a thread of pictures sometime.

How do you listen to Albion matches ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Had a holiday in the Cotswolds in June, second time staying in the same cottage. Both time I have done little except walking around, drinking fabulous cider, and setting up places to photograph garden birds. Basically, I ended up spending an hour perched on the loo with the window open - pointing to the space beside the feeder which was in full sun with the tree cover behind in shadow.

Just garden birds - but still nice. And fun trying to capture that 'perfect' photo.

1727471203394.png

1727471825346.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here