Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The trouble in Leeds

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There is no contradiction. I don't want to see any Police Officers injured and ideally in Leeds they would've gone in and arrested the perpetrators without sustaining injuries, however there is an element of risk and there is a chance of injury as we don't live in an ideal world.
So it makes sense to minimise the risk rather than go wading in and sod the consequences, right?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So it makes sense to minimise the risk rather than go wading in and sod the consequences, right?
This article mentions the Green councillor, Mothin Ali, standing in front of the trouble trying to protect the police, who in turn, were there to protect the social workers.

“They had no shields and no helmets. Me and a couple of others tried to form a human shield. We stood in front of the bricks and bottles and tried to give the police a way of retreating.”

Reactions: A1X

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
No it makes no sense, they should've moved in and tried to arrest the perpetrators and quelled the violence. Risk of injury? Yes. Risk of injury is part of the job, standing back and watching lawless behaviour unfold is not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No it makes no sense, they should've moved in and tried to arrest the perpetrators and quelled the violence. Risk of injury? Yes. Risk of injury is part of the job, standing back and watching lawless behaviour unfold is not.
Risk of injury is not part of the job. They are not in the military.
Arrests have been made.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Look if you genuinely don’t understand why you’re contradicting yourself then clearly I’m not going to make you see it.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
The purpose of the police service is to uphold the law fairly and firmly; to prevent crime.
Risk of injury is not part of the job. They are not in the military.
Arrests have been made.
Yes it is, upholding the law is always going to contain risk. Arrests have been made because the idiots who rioted were filming themselves, without social media there probably would've been no arrests made.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The purpose of the police service is to uphold the law fairly and firmly; to prevent crime.

Yes it is, upholding the law is always going to contain risk. Arrests have been made because the idiots who rioted were filming themselves, without social media there probably would've been no arrests made.
That’s a big assumption to make. There again your ignorance is shining through every post, so it isn’t surprising.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
That’s a big assumption to make. There again your ignorance is shining through every post, so it isn’t surprising.
I'm 'ignorant' because you disagree with me. Don't care what you say, the Police are there to maintain law and order, this they failed to do in Leeds on Thursday night, instead they stood back and let it happen. Standing back and letting it happen could've led to loss of life.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm 'ignorant' because you disagree with me. Don't care what you say, the Police are there to maintain law and order, this they failed to do in Leeds on Thursday night, instead they stood back and let it happen. Standing back and letting it happen could've led to loss of life.
The police were attacked because they were removing children from a home. They had no means of protecting the children, nor themselves.
They didn’t go into the riot or else they would’ve been given protective equipment.

Firefighters won’t go into a burning building if there aren’t any people to rescue, but will operate outside to try to save it.
Human life is more precious than objects.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
The police were attacked because they were removing children from a home. They had no means of protecting the children, nor themselves.
They didn’t go into the riot or else they would’ve been given protective equipment.

Firefighters won’t go into a burning building if there aren’t any people to rescue, but will operate outside to try to save it.
Human life is more precious than objects.
Yes I'm aware of how it started, but once it had they shouldn't have withdrawn and they should've offered protection to the fire service. Didn't see them 'withdrawing' in Brixton / Toxteth / Handsworth etc but I guess that's when they were the police 'force' and not the police 'service.' when they employed burly men and not the little girls they employ nowadays who don't to me appear to be physical capable of carrying out the role.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Only occasion I have seen the Police retreat was at the Den in 1978 when they attempted to arrest a chap that was trying scale a fence to enter the stand with Albion fans in the seated area . I was in the home terrace adjacent with my Dad when just about everyone around us seized upon the opportunity to free the miscreant and send the Officers running to safety .

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Only occasion I have seen the Police retreat was at the Den in 1978 when they attempted to arrest a chap that was trying scale a fence to enter the stand with Albion fans in the seated area . I was in the home terrace adjacent with my Dad when just about everyone around us seized upon the opportunity to free the miscreant and send the Officers running to safety .
I'll make an exception for the 70's at the Den!!!!!;)

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Police retreating sends a very dangerous message to those who were actively breaking the law.
It say they are free to continue to break the law and no-one will stop them and arrest them, thereby not upholding the rule of law of this country.
We traditionally Police by consent in this country.
If that consent is not upheld, then we are giving those who want to break the law as we saw in Leeds, we as a country, are in big trouble, as will embolden more, knowing they won’t get stopped.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Actually it makes more sense these days to withdraw the officers, let them burn a bus and turn a car over, then arrest them after their snitch mates have filmed them.

It's not like they were looting or hurting members of the public, in which case send the riot police in. Trashing a few things/targeting the police? Walk away, then come back for them after liking their mates Twitter post

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Actually it makes more sense these days to withdraw the officers, let them burn a bus and turn a car over, then arrest them after their snitch mates have filmed them.

It's not like they were looting or hurting members of the public, in which case send the riot police in. Trashing a few things/targeting the police? Walk away, then come back for them after liking their mates Twitter post
The complete thickos with the latest iPhones filming anything and anyone that moved was better than any CCTV

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022

Fair points, as I said earlier social media has been a good thing in this as without it those idiots posting it would've got away with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here