Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK is now back in recession it is official

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Indeed, that's my point, they get nearly double a standard HGV driver and a good wage compared with most!

You have a go at Uncle Spiel for not being balanced, you seem a bit one eyed yourself. You didn't mention their pension
dispute, which imo seems fair. They are now on short term contracts and their pensions get moved about. I don't agree with
the strike, but wanting a group pension doesn't seem like the most militant of stances

Albion Rob

Indeed, that's my point, they get nearly double a standard HGV driver and a good wage compared with most!

Surely it's a bit like anything though, isn't it? Yes they do the same sort of job in terms of driving a lorry about but they know that what they are driving about is vitally important to keep the country moving and therefore they have more leverage in a dispute over wages than, say, the blokes who drive printer toner cartridges about.

I don't know the ins and outs of this dispute but it seems to me that in any walk of life if people think they can squeeze more money for themselves then they'll kick up a fuss. For petrol tanker drivers read some sections of the banking community who constantly threaten to leave the UK if this tax rate or that piece of regulation isn't scrapped/halted.

To a greater or lesser degree everyone - public or private sector - seems to view every situation based on what financial gain they can make from it. I think it's commonly known as capitalism although that may be a bit of a lazy, catch all term for something a bit more nuanced.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

You seemed to be getting a bit hot under the collar and mistaking an opinion for a proposed fact (albeit an opinion based on experience that the vast majority of Tories, esp the likes of the Posh Boys, don't give a flying f*** about those less privileged than themselves whose policies, such as the current economic ones, hit the hardest). The response therefore was equally pointless.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Fair enough - for that I apologise - I had what felt a similar argument with someone yesterday who was claiming that every single Tory government was out to ruthlessly dismember the working classes - I dont subscribe to that at all. If the response was a little obtuse I apologise.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That's what happens when a government no one wanted get in . Labour will have to sort this shit out like they did before

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Fair enough - for that I apologise - I had what felt a similar argument with someone yesterday who was claiming that every single Tory government was out to ruthlessly dismember the working classes - I dont subscribe to that at all. If the response was a little obtuse I apologise.

No need to apologise, but thanks anyway. I don't subscribe to a calculated dismemberment either; rather a lack of compassion for the victims of their self-serving dogma, which enables them to still be able to sleep at night.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
That's what happens when a government no one wanted get in . Labour will have to sort this shit out like they did before

I'm not going to support the Tories but that has to be the most mis-guided post I've seen since Mr. Burns and his Ashley Barnes post or Beach Hut's share tipping.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Seeing as they have been in 5 minutes i would give the Tory coalition time,after all am i correct that some of an out going governments policies still have to be adhered to.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Seeing as they have been in 5 minutes i would give the Tory coalition time,after all am i correct that some of an out going governments policies still have to be adhered to.

correct answer balanced and measured like everyone should be. These things come round and round and we all act surprised and disgusted when they do. All parties are the same if you think they look out for you specifically your mad, they look after themselves and where there next vote or donation is coming from end of.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You have a go at Uncle Spiel for not being balanced, you seem a bit one eyed yourself. You didn't mention their pension
dispute, which imo seems fair. They are now on short term contracts and their pensions get moved about. I don't agree with
the strike, but wanting a group pension doesn't seem like the most militant of stances

From my understanding the issue isn't whether, or not, they have a pension it's an end to the final salary pension scheme, which we all know are no longer sustainable. The Health & Safety issue concerns performance indicators with regard to deliveries, this is another area which I guess you or I can't comment on. Understand your point on balance but, given the state of the nation, people's understanding on final salary scheme's and their current pay I still maintain they are "considering" holding the country to ransom at a time we can all ill afford it and when they have a pretty good deal anyway.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Ed Balls even though he is extremely irritating is actually a very good economist. His way was the right way all along.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Don't know about a recession ?
I was made redundant last year so started up on my own and year to date have earn't more that I did when I was employed, so not seeing it.

So long as it's legal-i have the up most respect for you...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
All above board and pay my tax, well have put it away for when I complete my tax return at the end of this month.

Good stuff-i like survival stories like these

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The UK is back in recession with negative growth expected in Q1 2012, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development claims.

In its interim economic assessment releasd today the think tank says it expects the UK economy to shrink by 0.1% in Q1 2012, or 0.4% year on year.

It follows a drop of 0.3% in GDP in Q4 2011 meaning the UK will have suffered two quarters of falling output, the most widely accepted definition for a recession.

The OECD expects UK growth to rebound by 0.5% in Q2.

Japan and the United States are both expected to see strong growth in Q1 of 3.4% and 2.9% respectively.

Eurozone countries are faring worse with only Germany seeing growth of 0.1% in the first quarter while Italy’s economy will shrink by 1.6% and France’s output will fall by 0.2%.

The report states: “The situation for the three largest euro area countries in aggregate is expected to remain fragile, with negative growth projected for the first quarter of 2012 and a moderate rebound in the second quarter.

“Recent positive indicators suggest that activity in Germany may accelerate through the first half of the year. Activity in France is projected to be broadly flat. In Italy weak industrial production and household sentiment are suggestive of recession for the first two quarters of the year. That said, the most recent indicators have been more positive, resulting in slightly better projected growth for the second quarter.”

Q1 2012 ends tomorrow, do they not know the lack of growth already?

D

Deleted member 2719

Where do I say that? Austerity here has only just begun. In the US they are still digging the hole, deeper and deeper... when austerity hits the US it will be like the 1930's.

This.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Seriously Unc I thought you'd been quiet, that was until this a piece of bad news pops out. Come on, it's tough but we're not buying our way out of it, it's tough but it was always going to be as we'd been led down a path of borrowing and creating an easy welfare driven state.

What about the rising market for first time buyers and the increase in manufacturing. What about our credit rating and that of other world powers?

There was never a quick fix unless we'd buried our heads in the sand and kept borrowing without a plan to slow borrowing and repay the borrowing, seriously mate balance?

It's true I have been Mr Morose for some time now, apologies. HKFC does have a point I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here