Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK is now back in recession it is official

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The UK is back in recession with negative growth expected in Q1 2012, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development claims.

In its interim economic assessment releasd today the think tank says it expects the UK economy to shrink by 0.1% in Q1 2012, or 0.4% year on year.

It follows a drop of 0.3% in GDP in Q4 2011 meaning the UK will have suffered two quarters of falling output, the most widely accepted definition for a recession.

The OECD expects UK growth to rebound by 0.5% in Q2.

Japan and the United States are both expected to see strong growth in Q1 of 3.4% and 2.9% respectively.

Eurozone countries are faring worse with only Germany seeing growth of 0.1% in the first quarter while Italy’s economy will shrink by 1.6% and France’s output will fall by 0.2%.

The report states: “The situation for the three largest euro area countries in aggregate is expected to remain fragile, with negative growth projected for the first quarter of 2012 and a moderate rebound in the second quarter.

“Recent positive indicators suggest that activity in Germany may accelerate through the first half of the year. Activity in France is projected to be broadly flat. In Italy weak industrial production and household sentiment are suggestive of recession for the first two quarters of the year. That said, the most recent indicators have been more positive, resulting in slightly better projected growth for the second quarter.”

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
i thought the definition of a recession was two consecutive quarters of negative output, not just falling?

edit: i see through a quick google that i am wrong, continue.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So 0.4% negative growth over the last 12 months. The slash and burn austerity measures have not worked and will not much work as much as it grieves me to agree with Ed Balls on this. Obama did the opposite and invested heavily when the shit hit the fan and they are looking at a 2.9% growth in the USA in the first quarter. More growth in one quarter than the UK has had in the last 5 years. Discuss.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Surely this should read "the department for snatching figures from the air thinks that the UK might be back in recession once the figures are available but once they have been fiddled around with it may mean that we aren't, and in any case 99% (myself included) cannot grasp how they work things like this out but will still go tut and look worried because the Mail and/or Express says that the should".

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So 0.4% negative growth over the last 12 months. The slash and burn austerity measures have not worked and will not much work as much as it grieves me to agree with Ed Balls on this. Obama did the opposite and invested heavily when the shit hit the fan and they are looking at a 2.9% growth in the USA in the first quarter. More growth in one quarter than the UK has had in the last 5 years. Discuss.

I think it shows Gideon for the excellent, forward thinking, 'tough but fair' economist he is.

:jester:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...Obama did the opposite and invested heavily when the shit hit the fan and they are looking at a 2.9% growth in the USA in the first quarter. More growth in one quarter than the UK has had in the last 5 years. Discuss.

Obama did the opposite and BORROWED heavily... the shit has not yet hit the fan.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Surely this should read "the department for snatching figures from the air thinks that the UK might be back in recession once the figures are available but once they have been fiddled around with it may mean that we aren't, and in any case 99% (myself included) cannot grasp how they work things like this out but will still go tut and look worried because the Mail and/or Express says that the should".

These guys know what they are taking about. They have not just stuck a finger in the air and they have no agenda to peddle.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Yes and it is.

i see, i didn't see that the figures had been revised for Q4 2011

Screen shot 2012-03-29 at 12.25.25.png

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Obama did the opposite and BORROWED heavily... the shit has not yet hit the fan.

He has turned the USA around, we are flatlining at best. The patient is on a life support machine. 0.5% interest rates ,an " emergency " measure 3 years ago. That's a pretty long f*cking emegency. Now, I had hopes for the coalition in May 2010 but Mr Hard Man Osborne has royally f*cked things up.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He has turned the USA around, we are flatlining at best. The patient is on a life support machine. 0.5% interest rates ,an " emergency " measure 3 years ago. That's a pretty long f*cking emegency. Now, I had hopes for the coalition in May 2010 but Mr Hard Man Osborne has royally f*cked things up.

If you think BORROWING an additional $1.2 trillion has 'turned the USA around' you have a strange and rather short term view of economics.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If you think BORROWING an additional $1.2 trillion has 'turned the USA around' you have a strange and rather short term view of economics.

You seem to be saying everything here is fine and dandy. Without growth we are f***ed. Obama called it right. Osborne has totally screwed up.

BBC report.

BBC News - OECD predicts recession in the UK

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
We are not in a recession yet, the figures show we may be but it is yet to be announced, 1 point is that Q1 2012 is yet to finish so this cannot be called yet!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We need everybody to go out and panic buy, to give that final boost in the few days of the quarter.

I will be panic buying the following items, I hope you all join me:
-Hairclips
-Pedigree Chum
-PJ and Duncan albums
-Wallpaper paste

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You seem to be saying everything here is fine and dandy. Without growth we are f***ed. Obama called it right. Osborne has totally screwed up.

Where do I say that? Austerity here has only just begun. In the US they are still digging the hole, deeper and deeper... when austerity hits the US it will be like the 1930's.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
US absolutely ADORES these doom-laden threads. I have the horrible mental image of him playing with himself whilst creating the opening post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here