The "You're too ugly to be gay" chant

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We can see you coming out,
we can see you coming out.

You know the tune.

You're too ugly to be gay is embarrassing.

'You're too ugly...' reinforces a positive stereotype, and it leaves the neanderthals with nowhere to go with their 'banter'.

Yours is something that neanderthals would be singing to us, along the lines of 'we can see you holding hands...', as if 'coming out' was something to be ashamed of.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
There is already an iconic football song in existence which we could use. 'Go West' by the Pet shop boys. Mainly used by our Teutonic Cousins, but we could certainly camp it up more for our purposes.

Has anyone heard this sung by other English clubs?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is already an iconic football song in existence which we could use. 'Go West' by the Pet shop boys. Mainly used by our Teutonic Cousins, but we could certainly camp it up more for our purposes.

Has anyone heard this sung by other English clubs?

Seeing as the tune is already used by most, if not all, clubs already - I think it may lose a little of its irony.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The whole point of the chant is to embarrass and confuse homophobes isn't it?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
"You're too ugly..." is probably my favourite football chant, or at least my favourite football retort - if it goes over the head of the one-joke bigots who start the "does your boyfriend" chants in the first place, then that makes it better still.

My favourite comeback was several years ago at Millwall, we scored just after they started the gay chants and we responded with "1-0 to the nancy boys"

I also quite liked the "I'm gay but I shagged your wife" chants one year at Palace.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
'You're too ugly...' reinforces a positive stereotype, and it leaves the neanderthals with nowhere to go with their 'banter'.

Yours is something that neanderthals would be singing to us, along the lines of 'we can see you holding hands...', as if 'coming out' was something to be ashamed of.

That's how you interpret it. I see it as throwing their so called abuse back at them & us laughing at them. They just don't get the "you're too ugly" chant.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That's how you interpret it. I see it as throwing their so called abuse back at them & us laughing at them. They just don't get the "you're too ugly" chant.
You have to be pretty dumb to not understand what someone means when they say you're ugly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's how you interpret it. I see it as throwing their so called abuse back at them & us laughing at them.

'We can see you holding hands' / 'We can see you coming out' - little difference. You're countering them with the same message - i.e. that they're gay.

They just don't get the "you're too ugly" chant.

They DO get the 'You're to ugly...'. It's a chant-stopper of a line, with the counter-accusation that 'we might be gay, but you're ugly - which is FAR worse', and it leaves them with nowhere to go.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
'We can see you holding hands' / 'We can see you coming out' - little difference. You're countering them with the same message - i.e. that they're gay.

They DO get the 'You're to ugly...'. It's a chant-stopper of a line, with the counter-accusation that 'we might be gay, but you're ugly - which is FAR worse', and it leaves them with nowhere to go.

Agree with TLO. Any counter-chant that effectively translates as 'no, you're the ones who are gay' misses the point and reinforces the idea that being gay is something to be ashamed of, which it isn't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remember it being sung to Coventry (the last year of there old ground).

-Their yoof were giving the usual.
-We replied.
-They stood quietly listening.
-Very very slowly the penny dropped.

and

eventually

-they went mental.

Very very funny.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
We can see you coming out,
we can see you coming out.

:clap: Quality

My favourite comeback was several years ago at Millwall, we scored just after they started the gay chants and we responded with "1-0 to the nancy boys"

I remember that one too, it was class. I think the Millwall fans must have enjoyed it too, as they insisted on giving us lots of their money - via the aerial route - while we were queuing for the train. Such a generous bunch - if anyone's thinking of giving busking a try, then South Bermondsey seems like the ideal place to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here