Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things that you've done that could have killed you, making you die to death

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
In my youth I rode a bull bare back. A group of us were walking across the downs when we came across the bull in a pen. Predictably someone came up with the obvious dare and I was the only one to take it up.

I gingerly climbed upon its back using the perimeter fence as a ladder . At first all was well but a bit of an anticlimax as it just stood there stock still with me astride its back. But all of a sudden it bolted across the pen through 10 inch deep mud. I clung on, more worried about falling into the deep mud than any thought for my welfare. After a few strides we reached a small stable type structure where the ground was more firm and dry. I took advantage of the dry terrain to half climb, half fall off in order to dismount. When the beast realised I was no longer on its back it turned round and came at me. I had no choice but to run through the muddy pen chased by the bull and just managed to climb over the fence to safety.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was coming home from my gf's place in Ferring one night doing 65 on my TS185 when the back wheel locked up because the engine seized..... thats really scary because one second you are being deafened by the engine then all off a sudden all you can hear is your locked up rear wheel fishtailing on the wet tarmac. The TS185 was a 2 stroke and I had managed to get a problem with the oil pump that mixed the petrol/oil mix.

For my vintage you used to have “one shot or two” of two stroke oil into the tank when filling with petrol. An oil pump would have been one bit of tech too many for me!
I had a few scrapes - I went over the handlebars once when trying to stop after a car slammed it’s brakes on down the dip near the fire station on Old Shoreham road = I had to broadside into it or I would have wrecked the front forks. Got away with a cot on my wrist and a dented side panel.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was air-lifted off the Matterhorn after being hit by rockfall. My climbing partner that day was sadly killed on Mont Blanc a year later.

Plenty of other near misses rock climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering in various places around the world.

I used to drive way too fast and wouldn’t survive driving like that on today’s crowded roads. Only a couple of major accidents, though.

I was having stitches put in my head last week and chatting through all my scars with the doctor. She said she was surprised I am let outside!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
One evening in the late 80s I walked through the streets of Whitehawk wearing stockings and suspenders. I was accompanied by my girlfriend of the time who was similarly attired. Apart from a few wolf whistles from some passing boy racers I completed the feat unscathed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was approximately 4 years old, paddling in the sea at Black Rock, when a large wave came over the groyne, and up the beach at the same time. The shingle shifted, and I was swept out. My mother couldn’t get to me but a man on the beach swum out to grab me. I was unconscious so he started doing the Holger Nielsen treatment on me. I coughed up water and was reasonably ok after that.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Taking part in a live sex show on the [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] stag do in Amsterdam.
My nose was broken by a young lady's tits flying loose in my face then she smothered me by sitting on my face on stage.
An assault then suffocation attempt in public view.
She should be in prison.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Suffered several nasty electrical shocks but still here for a little longer at least :thumbsup:

Twice in quick succession. Trusted that someone had the fuse out. Grabbed the old lead earth in one hand, the live in the other. Fuse blew eventually. Picked it up again. It was a properly old system with live and neutral fuses. Guess what happened again. Got properly told off for not checking.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Another, I just thought of. I went to uncle sams in shoreham with my 2 year old son strapped in the back of my 2 week old freelander. As I stopped to turn right just past uncle sams. A dray lorry went into the back of me doing 35mph. I was shunted into an oncoming car doing 30mph. The car would have been a right off if it wasn't 2 weeks old and £25k! The big thing for me was if it had been 2 weeks earlier, I would have been in my mondeo, I dread to think what would have happened to me and my son.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Taking part in a live sex show on the [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] stag do in Amsterdam.
My nose was broken by a young lady's tits flying loose in my face then she smothered me by sitting on my face on stage.
She should be in prison.

Lots of people would pay good money for an evening like that...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For my vintage you used to have “one shot or two” of two stroke oil into the tank when filling with petrol. An oil pump would have been one bit of tech too many for me!
I had a few scrapes - I went over the handlebars once when trying to stop after a car slammed it’s brakes on down the dip near the fire station on Old Shoreham road = I had to broadside into it or I would have wrecked the front forks. Got away with a cot on my wrist and a dented side panel.

The Suzuki TS185 had a new " Modern" twist on 2 strokes, you filled the oil reservoir and it would magically pump the right amount of oil in to the petrol for the mix..... it didn't always work !

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Anyway back to the topic and guess what it involves Motorcycling (there does appear to be an emerging theme).

1986 TT week, I had taken my current bike a 650 BSA Rocket Gold Star which was the dogs back in the day - unfortunately the day was 1963 and by now there were Kawasaki GPz 900's and Suzuki GXR1100's that were at least 50 MPH faster. In addition the two-stroke heroes on heavily Terry Sheperded 350LC Yamahas that were probably as quick as the Racing 350 TZ's we were watching were also roaming the circuit.

Anyway to cut to the chase those that don't know on 'Mad Sunday' the Mountain section of the course stops being a normal road and goes in one direction from Ramsey to Douglas. These days I believe its a 180-190MPH section for the proper race bikes, although top sports road bikes won't take it much slower.

I decided to give it a go before retiring for a pint and was climbing away from the Gooseneck bend up the 'Mountain Mile' when I glimpsed two bikes coming up behind me. I was giving the old Beeza some beans and it was probably doing nearly 100MPH but thought I had better pull over to the side of the track, sorry road. I was almost off the road when this bloke blew past my right shoulder probably 30MPH faster. JEEZUS CHRIST I thought! A split second later his mate overtook me off road on my left going even faster, he actually bounced back into the road probably doing 140-150MPH. If he had not somehow kept it in a straight line and I had collected him we wouldn't have troubling Nobles Hospital that afternoon.

Neither slowed their pace by the way and I pootled back to Douglas, parked up and reflected on my one and only Mad Sunday ride with a pint of Okells. You may not be surprised to know that more spectators than competitors die during TT Week... :mad:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
She should be in prison.

Pussy?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's a bit like that Blue Peter footage from the 70's of John Noakes climbing up Nelson's Column on wooden ladders lashed together with baler twine and wearing a pair of slip-ons and an old army jacket.

:mad:

This is the first time I’ve seen this 70s footage.

What in the name of bloody hell were they thinking?

Ok it was the 70s and all that. But the lack of common sense and concern for wellbeing is unreal.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Anyway back to the topic and guess what it involves Motorcycling (there does appear to be an emerging theme).

1986 TT week, I had taken my current bike a 650 BSA Rocket Gold Star which was the dogs back in the day - unfortunately the day was 1963 and by now there were Kawasaki GPz 900's and Suzuki GXR1100's that were at least 50 MPH faster. In addition the two-stroke heroes on heavily Terry Sheperded 350LC Yamahas that were probably as quick as the Racing 350 TZ's we were watching were also roaming the circuit.

Anyway to cut to the chase those that don't know on 'Mad Sunday' the Mountain section of the course stops being a normal road and goes in one direction from Ramsey to Douglas. These days I believe its a 180-190MPH section for the proper race bikes, although top sports road bikes won't take it much slower.

I decided to give it a go before retiring for a pint and was climbing away from the Gooseneck bend up the 'Mountain Mile' when I glimpsed two bikes coming up behind me. I was giving the old Beeza some beans and it was probably doing nearly 100MPH but thought I had better pull over to the side of the track, sorry road. I was almost off the road when this bloke blew past my right shoulder probably 30MPH faster. JEEZUS CHRIST I thought! A split second later his mate overtook me off road on my left going even faster, he actually bounced back into the road probably doing 140-150MPH. If he had not somehow kept it in a straight line and I had collected him we wouldn't have troubling Nobles Hospital that afternoon.

Neither slowed their pace by the way and I pootled back to Douglas, parked up and reflected on my one and only Mad Sunday ride with a pint of Okells. You may not be surprised to know that more spectators than competitors die during TT Week... :mad:

Oooh, that was my racing era - but never did the TT or Manx GP
A 3-speedings totting up 3 month ban in 1979 got me on the track at Lydden with my RD400
This was followed by TZ250 - TZ350 [x2] - RG500 [not the road bike version] - GSXR750 over the next 10 years - I "retired" in 1989 - got to home-international licence level.

I have photos of my big crash at Clearways [Brands Hatch] in 1983 + other spills at Snetterton & Brands

Lost a few good mates during that time and had many a close shave on road bikes myself - count myself fortunate to still be here ....

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
One night in Estonia I fell in the Baltic sea one October back in the early 1990s, when I was a student and had been drinking. I had been with a group of other people walking around the coast a few miles outside Tallinn, coming back from a bar.

It was very cold and the rocks were very slippery - I went right under and bashed my head on them - but I managed to climb out and eventually found the other people again, none of whom had any idea I'd fallen in.

With age and wisdom I now realise that it's exactly the sort of thing that happens to students every year and a few tend to die: drunk young men and water is not a good combination.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I stuck a pen knife in to a plug socket when I was about 8 years old. The bang was quite loud, but I legged it out of the house and never owned up to it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She should be in prison.

I was there and every word is true.

Effing funny it was :lolol:

Was that the day before or the day alfter my unfortunate episode with the Calzone? I still recall, fondly, the support and encouragement you gave me on the day. :wink:

Hope all's well with you, big fellah :thumbsup:

This is the first time I’ve seen this 70s footage.

What in the name of bloody hell were they thinking?

Ok it was the 70s and all that. But the lack of common sense and concern for wellbeing is unreal.

Legend has it that he eventually discovered that the BBC had no insurance cover in place for all the dangerous things he did for the shoe :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here