Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train farce

D

Deleted User X18H

It could have been worse, he could have worked for Ladbrokes and locked his door 5 minutes early

Now that is gross misconduct. And as for the bloke who did it in the old William Hill in Baker street. Just as the hare was running at Swindon as well.....

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
The transport is the reason I have reluctantly given up my season ticket, first the flights between Leeds and gatwick were cancelled permanently, then there have been a few occasions where by due to the hassle trying to get a train to London to get pre booked trains to Leeds I missed these and had to pay again. I can't afford to have an open ticket from Leeds to Brighton forcibly adding travel to the ticket for me was the final straw, I'll continue going to away games where by the travel is always a much better experience

Simply there needs to be a shuttle service from Brighton to lewes one after another for a short period I feel that the club should hold some responsibility here I just don't think they have tried hard enough to secure this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How were they next to a live rail? Were people actually on the track?

*sigh*

Even with your basic grasp on the English language you do understand that something that is adjacent to something else is deemed to be 'next' to it? And that a platform is next to the track? And that the track contains a live rail? No? Point being you can't control your direction of movement in a crush....

D

Deleted User X18H

*sigh*

Even with your basic grasp on the English language you do understand that something that is adjacent to something else is deemed to be 'next' to it? And that a platform is next to the track? And that the track contains a live rail? No? Point being you can't control your direction of movement in a crush....

Yeah the live rail is well away from the platform in the middle of the two tracks. For this very reason. Not all the rails are live, you know that? But you mustn't step on any of them.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The transport is the reason I have reluctantly given up my season ticket, first the flights between Leeds and gatwick were cancelled permanently, then there have been a few occasions where by due to the hassle trying to get a train to London to get pre booked trains to Leeds I missed these and had to pay again. I can't afford to have an open ticket from Leeds to Brighton forcibly adding travel to the ticket for me was the final straw, I'll continue going to away games where by the travel is always a much better experience

Simply there needs to be a shuttle service from Brighton to lewes one after another for a short period I feel that the club should hold some responsibility here I just don't think they have tried hard enough to secure this.

I think the club have been a wee bit busy trying to get the stadium built.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe the clue lies in a post on one of the other threads First experience of trying to catch a train home after an evening game..

That train sailed thorough with 'not in service' on the destination display thing. Assuming that train was scheduled to be a football special rather than a regular service, thats one hell of a one off blunder by the driver not to consider he should be stopping at Falmer.

If it wasn't in service then it wouldn't have stopped. Anybody able to confirm that was the case?

And it wouldn't be the first time drivers have forgotten to stop round that neck of the woods. Used to be hit or miss whether a driver would remember to stop at Plumpton on race days.

*sigh*

Agree very much with this, when they announced the train was only 3 carriages long people started moving back down the platform and it was very dangerous.

Add to this that Reading fans missed their connections at Brighton and this just stirred up the emotions. A couple of the Reading fans I went North with were even told by someone in a Hi Viz to change at Clapham, which would have been great had the 22.33 to LONDON BRIDGE gone anywhere near f***ing CLAPHAM.

All in all last night was a hell of a let down, we deserved at least a point and the Club was let down badly by the Rail operators.

Maybe the clue lies in a post on one of the other threads First experience of trying to catch a train home after an evening game..

If it wasn't in service then it wouldn't have stopped. Anybody able to confirm that was the case?

And it wouldn't be the first time drivers have forgotten to stop round that neck of the woods. Used to be hit or miss whether a driver would remember to stop at Plumpton on race days.

It was in service, and we were told at Brighton that drivers don't "just forget to stop"

Apparently the train didn't have a guard, which was bollocks really because there were people on it.

D

Deleted User X18H

It was in service, and we were told at Brighton that drivers don't "just forget to stop"

Apparently the train didn't have a guard, which was bollocks really because there were people on it.

Yeah but without a guard it can't stop at smaller stations. They do this a lot on the Brighton express services it's called DOO I think. Happened on commuter trains a few times so they only stop at bigger stations like Haywards Heath.Where there are staff to see the train off. And this doesn't usually happen at Falmer. There is hardly anyone there on (non-match) routine days. Protocol I expect.

Yeah but without a guard it can't stop at smaller stations. They do this a lot on the Brighton express services it's called DOO I think. Happened on commuter trains a few times so they only stop at bigger stations like Haywards Heath.Where there are staff to see the train off. And this doesn't usually happen at Falmer. There is hardly anyone there on (non-match) routine days. Protocol I expect.

Funny that, because there were shit loads of Raiway staff and Police on Falmer station.

I don't think I've ever had a moan about transport before, you have to expect it really, but last night was terrible.

D

Deleted User X18H

Funny that, because there were shit loads of Raiway staff and Police on Falmer station.

I can imagine but I expect rules are in place that a train with no guard cannot stop at unstaffed station. The fact that they were stewards etc on the platform last night makes no difference to a bloke in a signal box 20 miles studying his rule book. Who is also in contact with the driver. Southern Railway have very little common sense or spontaneity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don't think I've ever had a moan about transport before, you have to expect it really, but last night was terrible.

Railway in this country is a f***ing joke. Total and utter joke. If you go to football in Germany you will see how brilliant they are at mass transit. The way the Olympiastadion runs its trains after a game is incredible to watch. I recently went to Mainz and they have a new 30k out of town ground with no rail station. The bus service was incredible with banks and banks of long buses pulling up, I waited a full 2 minutes to get on a bus having left the ground 10 mins after final whistle which dropped me back in town. I was in a heavy metal bar drinking mead within 30 mins of final whistle.

We are just so shit at public transport.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Exactly. How can you f***ing forget? And why does it not happen in other industries? Planes dont overshoot the Caribbean and end up in f***ing Mexico because the pilot was day dreaming do they?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The fact that they were stewards etc on the platform last night makes no difference to a bloke in a signal box 20 miles studying his rule book.

Your not spot on with that bit, Studying his/her rule book? Like they have time for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here