Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train farce

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Was going to start another thread about this but Three Bridges station has just been closed after someone was struck by a train and there are delays of up to 50 minutes between Gatwick Airport and Brighton. A mate saw it happen (a bloke in his forties who was walking up and down the platform and talking to himself then jumped in front of a train). :down:

Saw about that too, pretty sad - line and station had reopened about an hour after it happened so it does show Southern and Network Rail can get things right when they try.

Hello NSC, Watford fan here, or should I say a slightly concerned Watford fan who is coming down for the match next Tuesday. After reading the previous 8 pages and the thread on the Reading forum, I'd like to ask the following questions...

Is there any other way to get to and from the ground from Brighton station? I assume cabs are available but are the roads jammed solid?
Is there a bus service?
Is it better to get back into London from Lewes station?

Any tips will help, as last night sounded like complete carnage. Thanks.

Seriously, I've never seen it that bad and expect it was a one off. I was talking to some Reading fans on the way to the ground and told them not to take much notice of what has been written as it's always OK and 20 minutes is about the longest I've ever waited, bet they hate me this morning.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
1) Buses do operate to Falmer Station but not from Brighton station, would have to walk from Brighton station down to Churchill Square and catch a 25/28/29, same for the return.
2) Yes, i go towards Lewes on the way home and only usually wait about 15 minutes, leaving at kick-off should get you on a train to Lewes which should get you onto the last London train at Lewes.

Trains arent usually a problem, just last night there was multiple failures in announcements and by Southern - SHOULD be better by next week.

Or down Trafalgar street and get same buses at St Peters Church. Last night was an error because the fast bigger train to Brighton did not stop, I imagine it takes the bulk of waiting fans away. If this had stopped the normal wait it 20-30 minutes. Plenty of taxis could take you out to Falmer from the station and probably arrange a pick up but you would be talking a few quid...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Or down Trafalgar street and get same buses at St Peters Church. Last night was an error because the fast bigger train to Brighton did not stop, I imagine it takes the bulk of waiting fans away. If this had stopped the normal wait it 20-30 minutes. Plenty of taxis could take you out to Falmer from the station and probably arrange a pick up but you would be talking a few quid...

Yeah, first time i think thats happened with a train failing to stop, occasionally happens across the country for whatever reason - if it keeps happening - then you have a problem.

And i forgot that way, would save about 10 minutes probably as well.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
With this attitude you must work in the industry.

I usually really really like your posts but f*** me you are a moron.

You can't run EMU's (Electric trains) between Ore and Hastings - BECAUSE ITS NOT ELECTRIFIED. How can an EMU get power without the third rail or overhead cantary?

And you can't just add another six carriages because they have different coupling systems (AFAIK).

It's not possible to do either of the things bpbill said unless the trains are right and network rail electirfy the Ore-Ashford stint of the Marshlink line.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seriously, I've never seen it that bad and expect it was a one off. I was talking to some Reading fans on the way to the ground and told them not to take much notice of what has been written as it's always OK and 20 minutes is about the longest I've ever waited, bet they hate me this morning.

I was with a Reading fan who had to get to Camden after the game and was hoping to catch her last tube. We left the North Stand to catch the 22.27 to Brighton. There was a bit of longer queue at the station than I was expecting but we still managed to get on the 22.38 fairly comfortably. So the earlier carnage must have sorted itself out pretty quickly. Wasn't even aware of it til I got home and read about it on NSC.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lots of exaggerations on this topic and 1 poster saying the conditions were "the worst in humanity" or something like that - really ????

I think you are taking that post out of context which said 'gave a glimpse of humanity at its worse' If you were in the bundle for the 3 carriage train with kids or elderly, then I can completely understand the comment and where he is coming from.

Sussex 'orn

Jan 9, 2011
Hi guys, i'm a local Watford fan. I was going to get the train to the AMEX but reading this has cast some doubt in my mind. Do the 25/28/29 buses run as normal from Brighton on a tuesday and are they rammed?

Would like to get a few pints of ale in around the station, so would be a shame to have to bus it.

Any help appreciated, cheers!

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009
1) Buses do operate to Falmer Station but not from Brighton station, would have to walk from Brighton station down to Churchill Square and catch a 25/28/29, same for the return.
2) Yes, i go towards Lewes on the way home and only usually wait about 15 minutes, leaving at kick-off should get you on a train to Lewes which should get you onto the last London train at Lewes.

Trains arent usually a problem, just last night there was multiple failures in announcements and by Southern - SHOULD be better by next week.

Shirley if he leaves at kick-off he will be in London even before the ref blows for full-time?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I think you are taking that post out of context which said 'gave a glimpse of humanity at its worse' If you were in the bundle for the 3 carriage train with kids or elderly, then I can completely understand the comment and where he is coming from.

I think there are thousands of worse situations you can be in than a bundle for a train myself - of course im not saying its a good thing and its clearly caused by a load of impatient fcuks. Hopefully it wont happen again next week.

Shirley if he leaves at kick-off he will be in London even before the ref blows for full-time?

Wrong point in the match posted - meant full-time of course :facepalm:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Was going to start another thread about this but Three Bridges station has just been closed after someone was struck by a train and there are delays of up to 50 minutes between Gatwick Airport and Brighton. A mate saw it happen (a bloke in his forties who was walking up and down the platform and talking to himself then jumped in front of a train). :down:

The bloke got up and walked away from it, thats what I just saw on twitter.

Here's a question for the train people on here:

Last night going from Lewes to Falmer pre-game I got on a tiny train that seemed to have a huge, empty of seats area behind the doors bit. There were more people in this tiny space and quite comfortable with it than the rest of the carriage put together, can these trains not be used on match days?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I usually really really like your posts but f*** me you are a moron.

You can't run EMU's (Electric trains) between Ore and Hastings - BECAUSE ITS NOT ELECTRIFIED. How can an EMU get power without the third rail or overhead cantary?

And you can't just add another six carriages because they have different coupling systems (AFAIK).

It's not possible to do either of the things bpbill said unless the trains are right and network rail electirfy the Ore-Ashford stint of the Marshlink line.

I was talking to a inspector and my understanding is that they now have some electric lines down on that section, was put in place when they shut line down for months.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I was talking to a inspector and my understanding is that they now have some electric lines down on that section, was put in place when they shut line down for months.

Love to know how that could happen with absolutely nothing to power the electric trains - only the 2-car diesel trains can go down there.

Last night going from Lewes to Falmer pre-game I got on a tiny train that seemed to have a huge, empty of seats area behind the doors bit. There were more people in this tiny space and quite comfortable with it than the rest of the carriage put together, can these trains not be used on match days?

You seem to be on about First Class - can be used by anyone for the football games due to the amount of people on the trains.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Love to know how that could happen with absolutely nothing to power the electric trains - only the 2-car diesel trains can go down there.

Ask the inspector often on that line south African sounding fella I know diesel run on it I get it every week. Just what he told me

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
1) 2) Yes, i go towards Lewes on the way home and only usually wait about 15 minutes, leaving at kick-off should get you on a train to Lewes which should get you onto the last London train at Lewes.

Note to the Watford Fan: If you do return back via Lewes MAKE SURE you are in the front five coaches. Just about every midweek game, unsuspecting victims have been taken on to Polegate after being trapped in the rear three carriages. Last night was no exception including a fair few Reading fans.

Apart from the inconvenience & missing the last Lewes to London train, Polegate is a deperate place to be stranded in.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011

On seaford line there are sometimes trains that have bike areas where ya slide a wheel into a slot the area is pretty big and can fit about 4 bikes

You seem to be on about First Class - can be used by anyone for the football games due to the amount of people on the trains.

It's not first class, just a large area with no seats at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here