Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

• Yes

Votes: 102 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 206 66.9%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I voted yes - right to name them, within current laws.

BUT

Wrong, to display them in the sensationalist manner they chose.

Wrong to word it "arrested for sex attack", rather than "in connection to sex attack". x number might be simply witnesses.

Wrong, insofar as the law should NOT allow it. (But it does).

I agree. It is sensationalist.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
yes if only to stop speculation building on twitter and Facebook

Also the rest of the lads can try and carry on with the job in hand now and win on Saturday!!!

It's a bloody horrid situation to be in - Their families must be devastated - I'm a mum of a boy and a girl and the whole thing scares and saddens me!!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course it's f***ing wrong. This will hang over all 6 of those players heads for the rest of their CAREERS. Regardless of guilt. No doubt in five years time, if you google ............ the autocomplete will be sexual assault or similar.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Shouldn't you guys concentrate on what's on the back of the argus? :D

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I sometimes feel if they are to name the accused, they should also name the accuser.

It does happen enough that the accuser ends up being in the wrong and not the accused.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I voted yes - right to name them, within current laws.

BUT

Wrong, to display them in the sensationalist manner they chose.

Wrong to word it "arrested for sex attack", rather than "in connection to sex attack". x number might be simply witnesses.

Wrong, insofar as the law should NOT allow it. (But it does).
Totally agree. Leaving aside the Argus's sensationalist approach they were arrested. Fact. A newspaper reported that fact. (Isn't that what we always want them to do? Report facts?) Even when the likes of Ian Huntley was arrested the papers were allowed to report the fact - and name the person.

That's not the same though as allowing and/or printing idle, and potentially libellous, speculation about the ALLEGED offence.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Regardless of whether these guys are footballers or not, I think it's wrong to print/publicise the names of those arrested for (or even charged with) these types of crimes. Even if the charge is completely jumped up (don't know anything about it TBH) then it leaves a stain on their character for life. Yet someone who makes a false accusation can quite often get away without being named. If you're not going to name the victim then you shouldn't name the accused, at least until they have been convicted. IMHO.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Haven't read The Argus for a long time and never will.

Always praying on other peoples' misfortune to fill their pages.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I sometimes feel if they are to name the accused, they should also name the accuser.

It does happen enough that the accuser ends up being in the wrong and not the accused.

Any victim of a sexual offence is automatically and instantly guaranteed lifetime anonymity even if the defendants found not guilty or the claim later withdrawn. If I remember rightly the judge does have the right to remove this if the person has been found to have completely made it up

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oh, and as I said in another thread if they didn't publish names the other players in the squad that fit the ages given could have sued for defamation (especially the only other 24 year old at the club)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Any victim of a sexual offence is automatically and instantly guaranteed lifetime anonymity even if the defendants found not guilty or the claim later withdrawn. If I remember rightly the judge does have the right to remove this if the person has been found to have completely made it up

My issue with that is that the accused get named and conversely stained. Many a time accusations are often found to be unfounded and only then do they name the accuser. By then though the stigma is with the accused no matter the outcome.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
My issue with that is that the accused get named and conversely stained. Many a time accusations are often found to be unfounded and only then do they name the accuser. By then though the stigma is with the accused no matter the outcome.

The anonymity is so that people who have been assaulted don't avoid coming forward from fear of how people will view them etc

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I just think it was funny that they didn't have the balls to run the photo of the guy in my profile picture, yet seem to think it's fine to name all of the players in this case....

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'm worried by how many think no. The Argus has merely printed the facts (albeit rather sensationally ). That's its job. That's the job of a free press.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
if it was done in the best interest of the other players/club, then why was this not mentioned and also why was it not done more tactful. this was only released to sell more papers.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Voted no but ment to Vote yes, better to have the names out in the open than have people everywhere speculating about who it was, even if some of the names were quite obvious.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I just think it was funny that they didn't have the balls to run the photo of the guy in my profile picture, yet seem to think it's fine to name all of the players in this case....

on a separate matter (this whole sex scandal is boring the shit out of me) has there been any developments with the i-pad?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here