Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

Was the Argus right to print the names of the players accused of the sex assault?

• Yes

Votes: 102 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 206 66.9%

• Total voters

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Throwing it out there that ******* was in a cast and crutches. But the Argus dont' mention that.

Therefore they are wrong ot have presented only half the facts. Listing names but no other details smacks of guilty before trial.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Sorry, already posted this on another thread before I saw this one. Re-posting here as more appropriate:

Just seen the Argus front page on the Palace BBS. How utterly ridiculous. How many other people who are arrested, suspected, convicted, assisting with enquiries or whatever, have their names printed that big on the front page? And this is the same local paper that covers our games each week. I know it's all about making money but that's going too far. I won't be buying it again so it's backfired as far as I'm concerned. They really are turning into the gutter press. They should be bloody ashamed. Yes it's news but report it the same as anything else. Clearly no loyalty or respect for the club there. Disgusting.

fozzie's paper boy

Aug 20, 2011
Hove
Right to print, but done in totally inappropriate sensationalist manner - large blue font, seagulls badges separating the names - ridiculous. And if the Argus had any commercial sense and wanted to sell papers, why didn't they print the names inside with a front page headline along the lines of 'Albion Players Named'???

But the information had to come out into the public domain if only to protect those who have no involvement whatsover, particular given the fact that the ages of those involved were known - for example saw a thread on Cardiff's bulletin suggesting they should hold fire on their transfer bid for the time being.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Edit: Wrong thread. Idiot.

Attachments

• proof2.JPG
    proof2.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 95
  • proof.JPG
    proof.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Once again can I remind people it is acceptable to discuss the issue, but can you refrain from a supposition of guilt.

Ta

EP

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
No. Ban the rag from the AMEX. Hopefully all Albion fans will boycott The Arsegas too. These players can face trial by innuendo in the media. The accuser can't. Hence, their ID's should have remained secret even if most people knew exactly who they were.

This, stop it being sold outside of the ground it`s just a local red top rag

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Only publish names if found guilty. Common sense dictates that this type of shit sticks so care has to be taken.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I voted yes - right to name them, within current laws.

BUT

Wrong, to display them in the sensationalist manner they chose.

Wrong to word it "arrested for sex attack", rather than "in connection to sex attack". x number might be simply witnesses.

Wrong, insofar as the law should NOT allow it. (But it does).

Totally agree with this, although because of the way they printed it I voted NO !

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Of course they are right, a free press is important.

Just look at the BS that went on here when the story broke. A forum about the club where you cant make mention of the biggest current news story surrounding the club for fear of litigation...now THAT is wrong.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
The Argus want to sell as many papers and make as much money as they can even if they've damaged their relationship with the club forever but they've taken one hell of a gamble.

Jan 30, 2008
quick enough to print supporters names who miss behave, what makes them any different, what's good for the Goose is good for the gander

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course they are right, a free press is important.

Just look at the BS that went on here when the story broke. A forum about the club where you cant make mention of the biggest current news story surrounding the club for fear of litigation...now THAT is wrong.

The story was mentioned on NSC all day yesterday, in fact it was a sticky. There is a difference between reporting the facts and speculation, and that is why we took the decision we did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here