Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Watches

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakarta and I exchanged Longines watches on our 10th. They are Jewelry, I hardly ever wear it in the same way I wouldn't wear one of my shirts that needs cufflinks unless we were going out.

Inherited a nice Tissot from my late Father In Law bought in Switzerland while on holiday back in the 1960's, but hardly ever wear that one either! Don't know if I could get a 50+ year old watch repaired should it go wrong?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know it is depressing. It tarnishes Omega to be honest. Longines too. Swatch is the devil incarnate.

Interesting viewpoint.

Swatch didn’t buy Omega. Omega and Tissot were the two brands originally within the company, before Swatch had been thought of (and the company later renamed).

The Swatch project (low cost, Swiss analogue watches, for the masses) literally saved the Swiss watch industry, when the Japanese quartz watches were close to completely destroying the entire industry. Without Swatch there would be not only be no Omega, Rado, Tissot and Longines, but also no Rolex, Oris, Patek or IWC.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Interesting viewpoint.

Swatch didn’t buy Omega. Omega and Tissot were the two brands originally within the company, before Swatch had been thought of (and the company later renamed).

The Swatch project (low cost, Swiss analogue watches, for the masses) literally saved the Swiss watch industry, when the Japanese quartz watches were close to completely destroying the entire industry. Without Swatch there would be not only be no Omega, Rado, Tissot and Longines, but also no Rolex, Oris, Patek or IWC.

That is true. Swatch saved the industry. In fact my beloved Universal Geneve didn't survive the Quartz revolution.

Why don't I like them? I think it is that they is that they are bullies. They used their monopoly with ETA movements to have their way with watch houses not in the group that couldn't afford in house movements. Of course Sellita soon came along and provided competition so it wasn't catastrophic, but still, really not nice. Now they restrict spare parts so that customers have to use their own exorbitantly priced service centres, rather than independent watch repairers. You can get an independent guy to service your watch, still, but it is a challenge, and they have to sometimes use Chinese copy parts which aren't as good. There won't BE any independent watch repairers soon, it is a dying profession. A lot of that is down to the Swatch group.

I don't mind paying top dollar for watches, well I do, but it is an expensive hobby, I realise that. Getting really ripped off to service the watch though because they have forced a monopoly on the customer, that is irritating and greedy on their part.

(Edit: You mentioned Tissot, above which is of course Omega's second brand. I hope I am not offending any Tissot owners here, when I say that they really aren't that great, Omega uses them for experimentation purposes, when they aren't just a bog standard ETA movement. As I have said I am not a fan of Rolex, but their second brand, Tudor, are fantastic watches. One of the real unsung bargains of the watch world. Unlike Tissot compared to Omega they are almost Rolexes without the name and huge price tag).

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is true. Swatch saved the industry. In fact my beloved Universal Geneve didn't survive the Quartz revolution.

Why don't I like them? I think it is that they is that they are bullies. They used their monopoly with ETA movements to have their way with watch houses not in the group that couldn't afford in house movements. Of course Sellita soon came along and provided competition so it wasn't catastrophic, but still, really not nice. Now they restrict spare parts so that customers have to use their own exorbitantly priced service centres, rather than independent watch repairers. You can get an independent guy to service your watch, still, but it is a challenge, and they have to sometimes use Chinese copy parts which aren't as good. There won't BE any independent watch repairers soon, it is a dying profession. A lot of that is down to the Swatch group.

I don't mind paying top dollar for watches, well I do, but it is an expensive hobby, I realise that. Getting really ripped off to service the watch though because they have forced a monopoly on the customer, that is irritating and greedy on their part.

In-house SG servicing is definitely dearer than independents - it’s no different to main dealer car servicing, in that regard.

Not true that they completely restrict spare parts though. Swiss Time Services, for one, use genuine Omega parts. They are headed up by the former head of the SG UK service centre, Nick Towndrow - who (while at the SG) established the British School of Watchmaking (still financially supported by the SG) to train the next generation of watchmakers - quite the opposite of ‘killing the profession’ :shrug:

D

Deleted member 2719

I have a few, but haven't worn one for a few years now, I was always scared of smashing them up in the workshop. I should do as they're nice and useful, and I'm back in the office now.

After my Dad died I inherited a small amount of money and invested in an early 70's blue/blue Heuer Monace 6 hour Chrono . . . . which I wrecked in the sea at Byron Bay. Fortunately the insurance paid up and I ended up with a new one, not as good but better than nothing, certainly not as good an investment but still a very nice watch.

I have a few odd cheap vintage watches I like, no real value, one Russian. I have a Hugo Boss dress watch, classic plain SS rectangular case, and a prized posession in a Christopher Ward HRDC Chrono which I won for driver of the day at a race meeting at Brand Hatch 5 years ago - Engraved on the back. THat was a goods day out.

View attachment 129152
View attachment 129151

I remember a mechanic in the 80s shorting his Casio metal strapped watch across an Austin 1100 battery! Nasty scar. He never wore a watch at work again.:lolol:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
In-house SG servicing is definitely dearer than independents - it’s no different to main dealer car servicing, in that regard.

Not true that they completely restrict spare parts though. Swiss Time Services, for one, use genuine Omega parts. They are headed up by the former head of the SG UK service centre, Nick Towndrow - who (while at the SG) established the British School of Watchmaking (still financially supported by the SG) to train the next generation of watchmakers - quite the opposite of ‘killing the profession’ :shrug:

I am just repeating the opinion of my watch repairer. Maybe that is jaundiced, I don't know. His view is that the Swatch group (and don't get me wrong I love the Omega brand and have three of their watches) have hired all his old mates to work in their service centre. Interestingly not in Switzerland, but over here in the UK. And that is harder and harder for him (as a one man band) to source the parts (he says), as a deliberate policy.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
What's the experts opinion of Junghan's watches? I quite like the look of the Max Bills and have been considering one. I have two Tissot's at the moment but apparently they are the devil incarnate and a load of crap to boot. :whistle:

I came about 2 seconds away from buying a Rolex a few years ago, but couldn't get myself to shell out. I was too scared to actually wear it. Which I thought defeated the object of it.

I have a mate that has just got hold of a New Hulk. Seems the wait list has vanished due to covid. Very nice, but I can't shell out the list price for that. So the Junghans are more my price range.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
What's the experts opinion of Junghan's watches? I quite like the look of the Max Bills and have been considering one. I have two Tissot's at the moment but apparently they are the devil incarnate and a load of crap to boot. :whistle:

I came about 2 seconds away from buying a Rolex a few years ago, but couldn't get myself to shell out. I was too scared to actually wear it. Which I thought defeated the object of it.

I have a mate that has just got hold of a New Hulk. Seems the wait list has vanished due to covid. Very nice, but I can't shell out the list price for that. So the Junghans are more my price range.

Good watches have a look at Nomos too. Along with Tudor probably current best bang for buck in watches. Seiko presage another consideration for lower price.

Conrad

Aug 22, 2016
Have always been fascinated with watches, first watch bar a Nixon I have bought is no 20 of 175 of the limited edition piece Christopher ward C65 classic trident. Bought it as a present to myself for my 20th birthday about 4 years back, last watch made with the old logo and IMO one of the nicest watches I’ve ever seen!

large.IMG_2181.jpg.3df94283d43811818025909bd0e7dd98.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My two Tudors, the small one is a 1947 watch apparently. Notice that it has a Rolex logo on the face. I have never seen that on another Tudor and wonder if it’s original or has been custom made. It has intrigued me since I bought the watch. Keeps time to within a minute a day too but is tiny in comparison to modern watches. The old guy in the independent watch shop raved about the quality of the internals when he serviced it.

3AC848CD-ACD3-4D81-A35A-6D494C87316F.jpeg

Attachments

• 9BF8AA04-EDFA-4B14-9477-6392174BBC6F.jpeg
    9BF8AA04-EDFA-4B14-9477-6392174BBC6F.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 104

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
image.png
that is a seriously good watch and you have great taste imo..

You are right it is wonderfully understated and i would have that over a submariner any day of the week.

But then you are either a rolex fanboy or you aren't, i suppose.

image.jpeg I particarly like the rear glass case somthing you would never see in normal use as you said understated

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
My two Tudors, the small one is a 1947 watch apparently. Notice that it has a Rolex logo on the face. I have never seen that on another Tudor and wonder if it’s original or has been custom made. It has intrigued me since I bought the watch. Keeps time to within a minute a day too but is tiny in comparison to modern watches. The old guy in the independent watch shop raved about the quality of the internals when he serviced it.

View attachment 129192

Looks like an old re-painted redial. The originals of these were radium. It may be that it was done for safety reasons or the original dial was damaged. Definitely should have had a rose logo and the fonts don’t look like the originals.
https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/inside-tudor/history/tudor-history-origins-1926-to-1949

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Good watches have a look at Nomos too. Along with Tudor probably current best bang for buck in watches. Seiko presage another consideration for lower price.

Totally agree about Nomos. I love the Tangente, that is a beautiful watch if you like Bauhaus (I do).

Junghans are fine, (also Bauhaus!) but if you can afford it I'd go for a Nomos.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
View attachment 129194

View attachment 129195 I particarly like the rear glass case somthing you would never see in normal use as you said understated

Yes the clear glass is a triumph. Something Rolex can't do.

Don't get me wrong about Rolex by the way. They are an amazing brand. They make more watches than Omega (or anyone else not mass market as far as I know) and yet still can't meet demand so their watches appreciate.

Considering they are a relative newbie company by Swiss watchmaking standards, their success in so dominating the luxury market is phenomenal. As an investment a vintage Rolex would never be a mistake.

It is just that it is marketing. That is what they are so superb at. All the (meaningless) "Superlative Chronometer" bollocks. They aren't interesting in a horological sense, apart from their first rate cases, they aren't ground breaking at all. To me they resemble Apple, nothing spectacular about their technology, but a corporate and marketing behemoth that conquered the world and made themselves "must have."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here