Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's getting tiresome......think we all need to move on(seems like it's mostly non-fans winding everyone up anyway). I'm not in the Hughton evil camp anyway......he'll always be a legend for what he did...........but suggesting he gave 'young' Solly March a 'chance' as a comparison with Connolly and Alzate ? That's a bit embarrassing :smile:

Judging by his verbose signature, not sure that [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] has moved on from the sacking of Mark McGhee yet, let alone Chris Hughton :lol:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Agree with nearly all of that. The 5-0 was part of a dreadful run that did for him. You get the revisionist stuff - I'm afraid many people are like that. 90% of the time under Gus was the best that we had witnessed for a very long time - but you would not have thought that on here after it all went wrong. I agree it was correct time for CH to leave but I'll always be grateful for what he did. I suspect he'll be remembered as one of our most successful managers ever- a very honest man. After the madness that was Hyppia I was so grateful for someone I could trust who seemed to be watching the same game as me. I'm team Potter now - but at some point it will inevitably finish (hopefully not for some time) and my best guess is that many people will be slagging him off as well. As far as the comparative positions go, I feel we will get over the line this year (rather confident not certain) and then will improve next year - I feel that GP has not had the ideal personnel to play the game he wants yet although it feels like it's getting closer over time

I'm not sure it's revisionist, it's more that we all suppress the negatives (or most of us do) whilst whoever we're talking about is still associated with the club.

On balance, CH was a tremendous manager for us and I will always remember and appreciate his contribution. However, he had many negatives. I distinctly remember periods of exasperation and frustration when leaving games with the same tired old decisions made.

In 15/16 I remember where we sat desperately on 1 goal leads when we looked the far better team and could have killed games off without his intransigent caution. I remember walking away from the Derby home game utterly perplexed.

In 16/17 lest any of us forget the absurd finish to our title deserving campaign, Bristol City at home and particularly Villa away where we decided to shut up shop (with a man advantage) against a poor team who we were on top of for most of the match. Perhaps the players lost us the Norwich away fixture, maybe even Bristol City at home too, but Hughton cost us the three title winning points at the Villa away game with his inexorably pragmatic approach.

In 17/18, as a regular away goer, I can't even describe the feeling of travelling to watch us. Aside from a severely poor Swansea team and a good night in Stratford, there was little to celebrate. We basically only did it because it was some new grounds for many of us, the football was secondary because it was so dire and negative.

In 18/19 our away form was slightly better I think in the first half of the season, but we all know what happened in the second half. I was seriously questioning why I was doing it, particularly as we could no longer rely on our home form so a sense of hope came back into the mix for the away slogs which made it all the worse.

After the Cardiff game, I was done. Despite the prior frustrations I still felt he was the man for us until the final whistle blew in that game. It was utterly horrific, yet still after a couple days reflection I went back onto team CH. As history tells us, Tony didn't.

There are also frustrations and criticisms of Potter, but nobody wants to talk about them because we're doing okay and he's still the man in the hotseat. I understand the willing ignorance to pretend everything CH touched turned to gold and that he didn't put a foot wrong aside from a 5 month period earlier this year, to remember him for all the good he did and leave out the negatives. It's a respectful approach, but if someone wants to highlight those negatives I don't think they should be reprimanded for doing so.

On another point, and putting your chagrin about CH’s dismissal aside for a moment, are you actually enjoying what you are watching this season?

I enjoy when we win! Even wins where our passing isn't mega-fluent as it was for much of the game yesterday, certainly the first half

We get 25 points last season at this stage and we've got 23 this, which is the minimum required really after 60 mill of spending on a squad that largely ended up broken and exhausted as the season went on last year.

Enjoying:
1) the better possession
2) the faster, direct attacks with two really quick guys up front rather than a near 40 year old
3) the enticing prospect of a post-Stephens mobile midfield

Not enjoying:
1) The calamity defending that undoes so much damn hard work
2) What's going on with the full-backs, clone Bruno
3) Are we wingless wonders these days?

I'm broadly happy as the team has so much more potential this season at this stage than last, given we nailed some key signings in Maupay, Trossard and the daddy of them all - Mooy

Judging by his verbose signature, not sure that [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] has moved on from the sacking of Mark McGhee yet, let alone Chris Hughton :lol:

The signature still bangs I see :bigwave:

This is really weird as I could go to search and pick out loads of times I got stick for criticising Hughton's deep defending approach, incredible as it may seem now there was a time on here when it wasn't popular to say stuff like that.

It seems to be very cyclical, everyone loved Gus's possession football, then got bored with that and wanted Hughton's more direct attacking style, then got bored with that and now want possession football again - all these styles do have their advantages and disadvantages and should be discussed honestly, regardless of who is in charge and factoring in that the current manager is always going to be mega popular, just as Gus and Hughton were in their top heyday.

And fair play yes I was a little too one-eyed in my defence of McGhee at times :love: :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The signature still bangs I see :bigwave:

This is really weird as I could go to search and pick out loads of times I got stick for criticising Hughton's deep defending approach, incredible as it may seem now there was a time on here when it wasn't popular to say stuff like that.

It seems to be very cyclical, everyone loved Gus's possession football, then got bored with that and wanted Hughton's more direct attacking style, then got bored with that and now want possession football again - all these styles do have their advantages and disadvantages and should be discussed honestly, regardless of who is in charge and factoring in that the current manager is always going to be mega popular, just as Gus and Hughton were in their top heyday.

And fair play yes I was a little too one-eyed in my defence of McGhee at times :love: :)

Verbose? Moi? :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We can't all convey ideas with your enticing mix of catchphrases and emojis, show mercy!

Fair play mate, we don't all get paid by the word count. Personal New Year Resolutions are to a) go easier on you and b) go easier on alcohol. Tho sadly doubt either resolution will survive Dry January. Or even Hogmanay. Still, willing to give both a go :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I enjoy when we win! Even wins where our passing isn't mega-fluent as it was for much of the game yesterday, certainly the first half

We get 25 points last season at this stage and we've got 23 this, which is the minimum required really after 60 mill of spending on a squad that largely ended up broken and exhausted as the season went on last year.

Enjoying:
1) the better possession
2) the faster, direct attacks with two really quick guys up front rather than a near 40 year old
3) the enticing prospect of a post-Stephens mobile midfield

Not enjoying:
1) The calamity defending that undoes so much damn hard work
2) What's going on with the full-backs, clone Bruno
3) Are we wingless wonders these days?

I'm broadly happy as the team has so much more potential this season at this stage than last, given we nailed some key signings in Maupay, Trossard and the daddy of them all - Mooy

Oh good, I was worried that you weren’t enjoying it at all :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
you've lost the plot,

That assumes he was in possession of a plot at some point.

Want to talk us through the recent successes of your twin football saviours Mark McGhee and Omar Bogle [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Could you please stop drowning in your pyschological projection?

If you don't like the stats being referenced, select better ones and aim to convince that way rather than the usual keyboard warrior shtick

Here’s a stat for you. Last season our expected goals were 1.1 a game and we scored 0.9 a game. This season it is expected 1.4 and actual 1.2. We are statistically more attacking and entertaining. Go have a look at infogoal.net

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Based on previous seasons opponents, rather than matches played, we are 2 points AHEAD or our best PL season at the same point. We’re also on track for the highest ever points required for safety. But beyond all that, if you actually watch the matches (or read the reports / stats), we are clearly performing better than previous seasons, and in general it doesn’t feel like we are hanging on in most of the games. I feel much more positive about the matches this season

Here’s a stat for you. Last season our expected goals were 1.1 a game and we scored 0.9 a game. This season it is expected 1.4 and actual 1.2. We are statistically more attacking and entertaining. Go have a look at infogoal.net

Fantastic, how have we ended up with less points at this point then? Is there a website called infodefensive****ups.net where we can check that

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Fantastic, how have we ended up with less points at this point then? Is there a website called infodefensive****ups.net where we can check that

Because just comparing the number of games played between 2 seasons doesn't take into account the quality of the opposition played. For example this season we've already faced all the big 6 away from home, normally you'd expect that run of games to be spread across the season.

As [MENTION=33965]FatSuperman[/MENTION] said if you compare results across the two seasons by opposition then we are actually 2 points better off. This isn't a fool proof way either as it doesn't account for teams strengthening or those that have been weakened by key injuries, sales of players etc but does provide a different comparison.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

So basically I’ll give you a stat that proves we’re better just as you asked and you’ll have a toddler’s tantrum because it doesn’t fit your narrative :lolol:

If such a website existed exhibit number one would be Brighton 0 Bournemouth 5

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The literally 10,000’s who poured out very early from home shockers against Bmuff and Cardiff, know they we’re a far better team now playing much improved football (in most games).

Stats telling us last season was alright are meaningless. It was shockingly shite.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
That assumes he was in possession of a plot at some point.

Want to talk us through the recent successes of your twin football saviours Mark McGhee and Omar Bogle [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION] ?

FFS don’t encourage him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The literally 10,000’s who poured out very early from home shockers against Bmuff and Cardiff, know they we’re a far better team now playing much improved football (in most games).

Stats telling us last season was alright are meaningless. It was shockingly shite.

Shockingly shite pretty well covers it for me. Not wanting to go to games and coming out feeling angry is no way to spend an afternoon or evening.

The only other time I have felt like this in 40 years plus of following the Albion was most of the Hyypia tenure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here