Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Correct.... for the back end of the season when they were both on loan.
Alzate on season long loan, but was recalled in January after breaking his back. Connolly was already injured before he was loaned out in January, so didn't join. Luton until April.

Every player apart from Ryan and Propper and Gros and Suttner and Izzie Brown have been made to wait.
Corrected for you - all five started against City in our first match in the PL.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Alzate on season long loan, but was recalled in January after breaking his back. Connolly was already injured before he was loaned out in January, so didn't join. Luton until April.

Corrected for you - all five started against City in our first match in the PL.

Fair enough forgot about Groß

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Knockeart is playing in the championship with Fulham
Kayal is with Charlton in the Championship and has played 6 times this season.
Locadia is with Hoffenheim and has played 6 times
Andone is with Galatasaray - and has played 6 times for them.
And Hemed was released and he is with Charlton and has played 5 times for them.

Maybe the reason that Hughton didn't use these players more is that they just weren't good enough for PL football.

It is quite tedious - but people insist on bringing it up. Hughton did a remarkable job for 4 1/2 years - Potter can build on that - whether he takes Brighton to the next level is still to be determined, but things have been positive so far.

Potter has four players who are better than what was in the squad last year (well three anyway - Webster still needs some work) - there is a reason why 3 of these players broke the Brighton transfer record and Mooy would have also done so if there was a transfer fee. On top of that two players have come through from underage and contributed effectively. For most games there are 5 or 6 players on the pitch who were not available to Hughton last season.

As others have said - this is going around in circles - it really is time to give it a rest - and just enjoy the show.

Andone, Kayal, Hemed all injured so isn’t a great comparison tbh.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
050645a0d34795264341de57bbe1c36b551f30-wm.jpg

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
As others have said - this is going around in circles - it really is time to give it a rest - and just enjoy the show.

Good , does that mean you’ll now wind your neck in? I actually doubt it as you’ve already said previously that you would no longer comment but still continued to do so ..... and you’re not even a bha fan. How tedious and sad is that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

That list is slightly misleading and there is some context needed to understand why a lot of them haven't played that much this season.

Kayal and Hemed have been injured, with Kayal back at Brighton getting treatment. Hemed was injured came back to their first team and broke down on his first appearance. Charlton have an injury list that Malcolm "The Butcher" Stuart could only dream off.

Locadia has appeared in 11 out of 17 league games for Hoffenheim this season, scoring 4 goals. Hoffenheim are currently 3 points off the Champions League spots in the Bundesliga.

Andone suffered what looks like being a season ending injury after 9 appearances (3 of which were in the Champions League) for Galatasaray.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Potter has four players who are better than what was in the squad last year (well three anyway - Webster still needs some work) - there is a reason why 3 of these players broke the Brighton transfer record and Mooy would have also done so if there was a transfer fee. On top of that two players have come through from underage and contributed effectively. For most games there are 5 or 6 players on the pitch who were not available to Hughton last season.

I don’t think there is any value in comparing what we have now as they are not really players that CH would have used and very much Potter type signings

Webster - CH would likely have stuck with his tried and tested Duffy and Dunk combo as Webster is more of a Potter system player

Trossard - CH liked his wide players to be defence minded first and Trossard is a bit lightweight in that regard. Solly March was a better fit in CH system

Connelly and Alzate - playing them would be a bit high risk from CH and I am not so sure he would have used them anywhere near as much perhaps in the cups for experience but that is my opinion. That’s not to say he will not use young players just he is a bit more cautious and protective of them.

Maupay - has the work rate but CH frequently preferred to use Murray over Andone who had similar attributes to Maupay (moved on mainly for attitude not ability reasons)

Mooy - I could see delivering in a CH side

So I don’t think anyone other then Mooy would improve or feature in a CH team purely because I think they would not fit his preferred approach and system.

Not wholly surprising as the club will buy to fit the managers system and philosophy and if Bloom has felt CH was the man to take us forward he would have been backed with his own player choices in the summer.

But as you keep pointing out that ship has sailed so time to focus on the new guy at the helm

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I don’t think there is any value in comparing what we have now as they are not really players that CH would have used and very much Potter type signings

Webster - CH would likely have stuck with his tried and tested Duffy and Dunk combo as Webster is more of a Potter system player

Trossard - CH liked his wide players to be defence minded first and Trossard is a bit lightweight in that regard. Solly March was a better fit in CH system

Connelly and Alzate - playing them would be a bit high risk from CH and I am not so sure he would have used them anywhere near as much perhaps in the cups for experience but that is my opinion. That’s not to say he will not use young players just he is a bit more cautious and protective of them.

Maupay - has the work rate but CH frequently preferred to use Murray over Andone who had similar attributes to Maupay (moved on mainly for attitude not ability reasons)

Mooy - I could see delivering in a CH side

So I don’t think anyone other then Mooy would improve or feature in a CH team purely because I think they would not fit his preferred approach and system.

Not wholly surprising as the club will buy to fit the managers system and philosophy and if Bloom has felt CH was the man to take us forward he would have been backed with his own player choices in the summer.

But as you keep pointing out that ship has sailed so time to focus on the new guy at the helm

And you could be right - I could definitely see Duffy on the pitch. Webster is a risk, even for Potter, and cost a lot of money. Hughton has been talking up Connolly big time in the Irish media so I suspect he would have used him - and Brighton did try and sign Maupay before - I could see Hughton using Maupay because he does seem to have the right attitude.

And you are right - lets move the discussion on.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That list is slightly misleading and there is some context needed to understand why a lot of them haven't played that much this season.

Kayal and Hemed have been injured, with Kayal back at Brighton getting treatment. Hemed was injured came back to their first team and broke down on his first appearance. Charlton have an injury list that Malcolm "The Butcher" Stuart could only dream off.

Locadia has appeared in 11 out of 17 league games for Hoffenheim this season, scoring 4 goals. Hoffenheim are currently 3 points off the Champions League spots in the Bundesliga.

Andone suffered what looks like being a season ending injury after 9 appearances (3 of which were in the Champions League) for Galatasaray.

You are correct - injuries played a part in that - both Hemed and Kayal were also injured last season - and this season where did they end up - one division down (along with Knockeart).

Locadia has been at Hoffenheim for 16 games - he started 6 times (including 1 cup game) - and he came on as a sub 5 times. He has only completed 2 games - being substituted in the other 4 games. Now Hoffenheim are 7th and 3 points off a CL spot - but the Bundesliga is weaker than the PL. Hoffenheim's top signing last summer cost less than £10million.

Yes - Andone is injured - he started 6 of the 8 games - getting subbed off in 3 of them - in the CL he started 2 games, was a sub in a 3rd and wasn't in the squad for the 4th. Galatasaray finished bottom of their CL group with 2D and 4L record. The highest price Galatasaray paid for a player last summer was £4.5million for Christian Luyindama, a Congolese CB playing in Belgium. Galatasaray are currently 7th in a very weak Turkish league.

The reality is that all 5 of these players are playing at a lower level than the PL (with the possible exception of Locadia - and he has been a squad player for Hoffenheim).

Good , does that mean you’ll now wind your neck in? I actually doubt it as you’ve already said previously that you would no longer comment but still continued to do so ..... and you’re not even a bha fan. How tedious and sad is that?

I only respond to comments - and, like others, you are jumping to conclusions about my club affiliation.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
1. I don't have a problem with Hughton being sacked - didn't agree with it when it happened - but it is done and dusted. My problem is with people who don't appreciate the difficulty of getting a team promoted from the Championship and then keeping that team in the PL for two years.

Only once in the last 8 years have the three promoted teams stayed up the following season - 2 years ago - Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield - and Huddersfield are gone. Last season the 3 teams that went down had been in the PL for 1 or 2 seasons. Norwich have been promoted 3 times and relegated twice (and will probably be relegated again this season) - QPR have been promoted and relegated twice - Hull have been promoted twice and relegated 3 times in the last 10 years - Burnley have been promoted twice and relegated twice - Cardiff have been promoted twice and relegated twice. Many of the relegated teams have spent significantly more than Brighton when they get promoted and still got relegated.

2. Potter has done well - nobody is denying that - and yes he has made tactical changes that have made a difference - but it must be recognised that Potter has more options in terms of the players at his disposal. This is not to minimise his achievements to date - but it is necessary to recognise that there are different circumstances. Could Hughton have done things differently - possibly - would it have kept the club in the PL - that is very much an open question.

I have repeatedly outlined that it can take 3-4 years to build a squad capable of maintaining PL status for clubs outside the top 6-8. Even then many teams struggle - Watford and Bournemouth were promoted in 2015. Keeping Brighton in the PL for the first two seasons after promotion is a massive achievement. If Potter keeps the team up this season (and it is looking very positive at the moment) - that will be a massive achievement. Another transfer window - another £60-80million spent on players will help consolidate the club further. But because of the nature of the PL the relegation scramble can hit any club - even after 6-8-10 years. The only club that has succeeded in breaking into the upper echelons of the PL since it was founded have been Leicester (Wolves are showing promise - but they still have to prove they can sustain it). I would love to see 15 teams being able to compete for the PL but the reality is that everyone else pretty much spends their season looking over their shoulder.

everyone knows the difficulty,

there you go, you've won back an hour a day with which you can do something positive,

(no preaching)

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

Maybe the reason that Hughton didn't use these players more is that they just weren't good enough for PL football.

It is quite tedious - but people insist on bringing it up. Hughton did a remarkable job for 4 1/2 years - Potter can build on that - whether he takes Brighton to the next level is still to be determined, but things have been positive so far.

that person is you

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
And you could be right - I could definitely see Duffy on the pitch. Webster is a risk, even for Potter, and cost a lot of money. Hughton has been talking up Connolly big time in the Irish media so I suspect he would have used him - and Brighton did try and sign Maupay before - I could see Hughton using Maupay because he does seem to have the right attitude.

And you are right - lets move the discussion on.

you coud help enormously with that by refraining from contradicting every opinion expressed that you percieve to be a slight on hughts........ go on, see if you can

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You are correct - injuries played a part in that - both Hemed and Kayal were also injured last season - and this season where did they end up - one division down (along with Knockeart).

Locadia has been at Hoffenheim for 16 games - he started 6 times (including 1 cup game) - and he came on as a sub 5 times. He has only completed 2 games - being substituted in the other 4 games. Now Hoffenheim are 7th and 3 points off a CL spot - but the Bundesliga is weaker than the PL. Hoffenheim's top signing last summer cost less than £10million.

Yes - Andone is injured - he started 6 of the 8 games - getting subbed off in 3 of them - in the CL he started 2 games, was a sub in a 3rd and wasn't in the squad for the 4th. Galatasaray finished bottom of their CL group with 2D and 4L record. The highest price Galatasaray paid for a player last summer was £4.5million for Christian Luyindama, a Congolese CB playing in Belgium. Galatasaray are currently 7th in a very weak Turkish league.

The reality is that all 5 of these players are playing at a lower level than the PL (with the possible exception of Locadia - and he has been a squad player for Hoffenheim).

I only respond to comments - and, like others, you are jumping to conclusions about my club affiliation.

you seem to be missing a point, in my humble opinion, that being; what type of player would sign for brighton (having stayed up by the skin of our teeth), playing in hughton's system? and also, if CH was still here, whither the likes of dunk?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
you coud help enormously with that by refraining from contradicting every opinion expressed that you percieve to be a slight on hughts........ go on, see if you can

Says the person who responded four times in a row to my comments - you realise that you could have said it all in one - or even better - not commented at all. Its not like you said anything new...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Says the person who responded four times in a row to my comments - you realise that you could have said it all in one - or even better - not commented at all. Its not like you said anything new...

A word to the wise.

It's probably best you don't add that final benchmark to this thread.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

if you hughts knew you were typing all this bs he would be utterly ashamed of you, mortified

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
After 24 games last season after taking a stuffing on a late Jan Tuesday night against a crap team that hadn't won a home game in yonks: W7 D5 L12 F27 A36 Pts 26.
After 24 games this season after taking a stuffing on a late Jan Tuesday night against a crap team that hadn't won a home game in yonks: W6 D7 L11 F27 A34 Pts 25.

Difference; last season +7pts over 18th; this season +2pts over 18th.

Entertainment better, maybe, results no. Prognosis, worse.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
After 24 games last season after taking a stuffing on a late Jan Tuesday night against a crap team that hadn't won a home game in yonks: W7 D5 L12 F27 A36 Pts 26.
After 24 games this season after taking a stuffing on a late Jan Tuesday night against a crap team that hadn't won a home game in yonks: W6 D7 L11 F27 A34 Pts 25.

Difference; last season +7pts over 18th; this season +2pts over 18th.

Entertainment better, maybe, results no.

Going to challenge this entertainment myth now, it’s about time someone called it out for what it is: rubbish! We’re inept in the final third, can’t score, create little, lack leadership and leave players with all those skills on the bench whilst playing ‘crab’ like football that’s all huff and no puff. Apart from that, it’s Disney. I especially love the way my friends and I leave games now raging with frustration and increasingly disillusioned. Hughton had to go. But Potter wasn’t the answer. Not in the PL.

We played some good stuff last night BUT again we got beat and now looking at where the next win is going to come from. For the first time this season I am worried that we don't have the answers and even the bottle to battle it out. The pressure is building big time now and has Mr Potter the knowhow or experience to deal with it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here