Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wesley - 19yo right back from Flamengo

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Is this a new offer of 4 million or have Flamengo only just told us the offer we made in March has been rejected ???
I'm sure Tim Vickery said months ago he was in UK being actively touted around with his manager/agent to sell on, and we were in pole position for his sig.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
The big Brazilian clubs are no mugs selling to Europe. Clubs like Flamengo and Palmeiras have made a lot of money in recent years, it's not like dealing with Rosario Central, Independiente del Valle or Libertad. €4m for one of their young stars will be laughed at.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Why would we pay in euros?
The big Brazilian clubs are no mugs selling to Europe. Clubs like Flamengo and Palmeiras have made a lot of money in recent years, it's not like dealing with Rosario Central, Independiente del Valle or Libertad. €4m for one of their young stars will be laughed at.
Yup.

I even ignore Brazil entirely when I look at what we're looking to sign. Wesley is one of the five most suitable players for us in South America. Too expensive, too much competition and too complicated. Many players are tied to agents who are tied to different clubs.

In smaller South American leagues you can find 1-3 players that looks "oh he'll be in a big league one day". In Argentina maybe 10-15, but right now the Argentinian clubs are VERY eager to sell abroad, because - as usual - Argentina is in hyperinflation. People don't move from Belgrano or Argentinos Juniors to Boca or River, its straight to Europe or MLS.

Brazil is different because you have 100+ players who can walk into a Premier League team and make a difference today. The Brazilian Serie A is as good/nearly as good as the Bundesliga/Serie A/Ligue 1. Going for Wesley is a little bit like going for Fiorentinas Michael Kayode: it makes perfect sense, but the problem is that probably 10+ other clubs feel the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here