Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The problem with C H is that because he is well liked people seem to think he can't do wrong.

I don't think anyone has said that - I will repeat what I have said before - I think that Chris Hughton is a very under-rated manager who has succeeded in getting every team he was manager of to punch above their weight. He has consistently proven that he can have success at the highest level (and for Brighton last season success was not getting relegated). I think Brighton made a mistake by sacking him - Potter has big shoes to fill (and if it is accurate that Bloom wanted to sack him after the Bournemouth game - it is likely Brighton would now be playing in the Championship). I think if he is given another opportunity he will prove himself again - and I would love to see what he could do with the Irish team - particularly with the batch of kids coming through the ranks in the next couple of years.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I live in Ireland - his mother was born in Limerick - Christine Bourke from Ballinacurra Weston - I lived in Carey's Road at one time (around the corner).

That's a pretty rough looking part of Limerick if it's the same area I'm thinking of. It leads to the station doesn't it?

Has a bit of a grass area at the junction with children road if I recall correctly and often had a burned out car, piles of rubbish or a horse grazing on it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think anyone has said that - I will repeat what I have said before - I think that Chris Hughton is a very under-rated manager who has succeeded in getting every team he was manager of to punch above their weight. He has consistently proven that he can have success at the highest level (and for Brighton last season success was not getting relegated). I think Brighton made a mistake by sacking him - Potter has big shoes to fill (and if it is accurate that Bloom wanted to sack him after the Bournemouth game - it is likely Brighton would now be playing in the Championship). I think if he is given another opportunity he will prove himself again - and I would love to see what he could do with the Irish team - particularly with the batch of kids coming through the ranks in the next couple of years.

Well let's analyse that a bit more.

At Newcastle, he had a premier league squad that had been relegated. No mean achievement to get them up again but it wasn't about building a complete team and getting them punching above their weight!

Birmingham. He took over at a club just relegated but that had just won the League Cup so again, probably not a bad squad for the championship but did well to reach the play--offs.

Norwich, first season battled against relegation for most of the season but had respectable finish thanks to a couple of late wins. Second season they were doomed when he got the sack. Their fans were far from happy with the style of play.

Brighton. Took over when we were near the bottom but we still had a reasonable squad that had suffered under Hyypia. Remember, the two seasons prior to Hyypia, we had been in the play-offs. That said, we had two great season culminating in promotion.

You use the phrase 'punching above their weight' to imply he took over clubs and turned them around and got a small club to compete against the giants. Not sure I would agree with that.

He is and always will be a legend for getting us to the premier league for the first time but the second season, despite staying up by the skin of our teeth, was abysmal to watch.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

At Newcastle, he had a premier league squad that had been relegated. No mean achievement to get them up again but it wasn't about building a complete team and getting them punching above their weight!

Birmingham. He took over at a club just relegated but that had just won the League Cup so again, probably not a bad squad for the championship but did well to reach the play--offs.

Norwich, first season battled against relegation for most of the season but had respectable finish thanks to a couple of late wins. Second season they were doomed when he got the sack. Their fans were far from happy with the style of play.

Brighton. Took over when we were near the bottom but we still had a reasonable squad that had suffered under Hyypia. Remember, the two seasons prior to Hyypia, we had been in the play-offs. That said, we had two great season culminating in promotion.

You use the phrase 'punching above their weight' to imply he took over clubs and turned them around and got a small club to compete against the giants. Not sure I would agree with that.

He is and always will be a legend for getting us to the premier league for the first time but the second season, despite staying up by the skin of our teeth, was abysmal to watch.
You think the squad he inherited were a decent squad ?

You only need to take a look at where all those players are now to see the level of players he inherited.

Also you need to do some research on Birmingham when he went there. All the decent players left at the first transfer window and they had a partial transfer ban because the owner was being investigated for Fraud or something in his home country.

Look at where the Norwich players he had to work with are now. I think only Nathan Redmond and Ryan Bennett are still in the PL. And Chris bought Redmond and brought Ryan Bennett through the Youths.

To be honest this conversation has run it' course and we need to just all let it drop but I just hate to see inaccuracies like your post written about Chris.

Why don't we all just agree to let the slagging matches drop. Brighton have a new Manager and Chris will Nov into a new role when the right opportunity FOR HIM arises

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

You only need to take a look at where all those players are now to see the level of players he inherited.

Also you need to do some research on Birmingham when he went there. All the decent players left at the first transfer window and they had a partial transfer ban because the owner was being investigated for Fraud or something in his home country.

Look at where the Norwich players he had to work with are now. I think only Nathan Redmond and Ryan Bennett are still in the PL. And Chris bought Redmond and brought Ryan Bennett through the Youths.

To be honest this conversation has run it' course and we need to just all let it drop but I just hate to see inaccuracies like your post written about Chris.

Why don't we all just agree to let the slagging matches drop. Brighton have a new Manager and Chris will Nov into a new role when the right opportunity FOR HIM arises

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That's a pretty rough looking part of Limerick if it's the same area I'm thinking of. It leads to the station doesn't it?

Has a bit of a grass area at the junction with children road if I recall correctly and often had a burned out car, piles of rubbish or a horse grazing on it.

Yep - (most of) the people of Weston are the salt of the earth - but if you are from a snobby part of town you'd want to be careful walking around there. Where I was in Carey's Road was a little off the beaten track so it was/is a lot quieter (going to be downsizing in the next year or two and I have been keeping an eye out for something popping up on Carey's Road).

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008

To be honest this conversation has run it' course and we need to just all let it drop but I just hate to see inaccuracies like your post written about

In the interest of correcting inaccuracies, Paul Lambert bought Ryan Bennett from Peterborough for several million

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Opinions changed very quickly for the vast majority of fans including myself, and we know it was the same for TB.

I always thought I’d be very upset if CH left the club. I was gutted when Mullery left.

But enduring all those home 6-pointer losses from Jan to May, as they all taught us (in our stadium) how winning football is played, I rapidly lost all patience. There was zero enjoyment from going to an Amex match. The only people who remained happy were those getting smashed in the NS concourse. No doubt they felt even worse when reality hit home the next day.

Not just his fault, we made some major gaffs in the transfer market, borne out by Potter moving on several expensive players and never playing another.

But it was crap wasn’t it? Stale, negative, slow, predictable, hopeless FB play (other than Bernardo), no creativity. CH’s time was up.

He’d been a great manager for us, but it was time for a new direction.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
So I'm guessing you don't get to many games then!!!

OOhh - you can't be a real Brighton fan unless you turn up at the Amex every home game :rolleyes:

I fondly remember watching Tony Grealish, Gary Howlett, Gerry Ryan and Michael Robinson play.

As for these days - I get very good meds whenever I want to watch a game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Yet we stayed up by only adding Kayal in January!! You could include Leon Best, Ledsema and Carayol who were brought in on loan after CH joined but I'm not sure with the longest stretch of the imagination you could argue they helped keep us up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Opinions changed very quickly for the vast majority of fans including myself, and we know it was the same for TB.

I always thought I’d be very upset if CH left the club. I was gutted when Mullery left.

But enduring all those home 6-pointer losses from Jan to May, as they all taught us (in our stadium) how winning football is played, I rapidly lost all patience. There was zero enjoyment from going to an Amex match. The only people who remained happy were those getting smashed in the NS concourse. No doubt they felt even worse when reality hit home the next day.

Not just his fault, we made some major gaffs in the transfer market, borne out by Potter moving on several expensive players and never playing another.

But it was crap wasn’t it? Stale, negative, slow, predictable, hopeless FB play (other than Bernardo), no creativity. CH’s time was up.

That sums it all up for me.

Reminds me a bit of some unexpected relationship splits . . . . shocked and upset initially, then, a couple of weeks (or months) later I'd be thinking TFFT!

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

You are right - we have been through this before - yet some people seem to believe stuff that flies in the face of the evidence -

A case in point

Well - let's see who left Newcastle AFTER the club was relegated -

Obafemi Martins, Sébastien Bassong, Habib Beye, David Edgar, Caçapa, Damien Duff, Michael Owen, Peter Løvenkrands and Mark Viduka ALL left the club (Lovenkrands later resigned) - because Ashley was going through another one of his 'takovers' Hughton was not allowed to sign any players - on top of that the following players left early in the season after the 'takeover' fell through as Ashley dumped high salaries - Xisco, Geremi and Frazer Foster. In January Hughton was given permission to bring in players and he signed four players on loan and Danny Simpson, Leon Best, Wayne Routledge and Mark Williamson for a total of less than £4million.

The Newcastle team that was promoted was a good squad - but it was unrecognisable from the squad that was relegated - Newcastle won the Championship with 102 points, scoring 90 goals. The only other team to have gone over 100 points since were Leicester (102) in 2014.

After promotion Ashley acted the b*llocks - Hughton was given less than £10million to buy 3 players and he signed five more players on free transfers (who made a combined total of 2 full and 6 sub appearances between them by the time Hughton was sacked). Hughton did a remarkable job - including beating Aston Villa 6-0 and Sunderland 5-1. The team played free-flowing attacking football - Hughton had the players to do it. Hughton was sacked on 6 December with Newcastle in 11th place (with a depleted squad compared to the one that was relegated, coupled with a bunch of journeyman free transfers who contributed practically nothing) and Ashley claiming that he wanted a 'big name' as manager (and he promptly appointed Alan Pardew :rolleyes: ). Newcastle went on to finish the season in 12th place.

So - drew - your assertions about Hughton and his time at Newcastle are utterly false and refuted by the evidence.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Yet we stayed up by only adding Kayal in January!! You could include Leon Best, Ledsema and Carayol who were brought in on loan after CH joined but I'm not sure with the longest stretch of the imagination you could argue they helped keep us up.

Maybe that had something to do with Hughton's ability as a manager ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

To be fair, last year the wheels didn't really fall off until St. Patrick's Day. A bit of stuttering before that, but nothing too doom causing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
To be fair, last year the wheels didn't really fall off until St. Patrick's Day. A bit of stuttering before that, but nothing too doom causing.
Personally, I thought that doom had started before then, but assuming you are right, then the doom came after the stuttering, which meant that in simple terms, we became ever worse at home.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Personally, I thought that doom had started before then, but assuming you are right, then the doom came after the stuttering, which meant that in simple terms, we became ever worse at home.

True - but Brighton weren't the only team around the relegation zone that were like this - when you are fighting relegation it tends to be like this.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Yep - (most of) the people of Weston are the salt of the earth - but if you are from a snobby part of town you'd want to be careful walking around there. Where I was in Carey's Road was a little off the beaten track so it was/is a lot quieter (going to be downsizing in the next year or two and I have been keeping an eye out for something popping up on Carey's Road).

I meant Childers road of course. I lived somewhere between Kilmallock and Charleville until a year ago so Limerick was the go to place for us for Shopping. First time I have seen CH linked to Limerick though I must say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here