Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] What did you drink when you first hit the pub

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Shepherd Neame pubs used to sell Hurlimanns Swiss lager, commonly known as hooligans, it was nice (at the time) but it was extremely strong, not sure if it is still around.

The only Lager I have ever drunk through choice. Electric soup.

First beer , Watneys Red Barrel, in the Castle pub , Worthing. I was 16.

A pint and 10 Number 6, 48 pence.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I am a Worthing boy, started in The Old England, The Thieves Kitchen, the White Hart, never played away for years !

I think we must have rubbed shoulders in the past [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION], I drank in these boozers, circa 75-86ish frequently. Also, the Spaniard before it closed, and Friday and Saturday nights in the Marine, then onto the Carioca, or Bubbles.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1981/82 - Cheap bitter, very soon downing 8 pints of the stuff, then Pernod or Vodka & Orange once bloated. Sixth form discos offered us two measly cups of Martini, seemingly unknowing that we’d got pissed in local pubs beforehand, the Martini simply topped up a high base.

Within a year moving onto lagers and Snakebites.

Once going into Brighton city centre, downing 8 to 10 pints of lagers such as Black Label in Shades at about 90p a pint.

£25 covered the bus into town, 10 pints, nightclub entry, more drinks, kebabs and a shared taxi home. When we ran out of cash, we walked 7 miles home.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Worthington E and McEwans Tartan, Watney's Red Barrel was widely available but I avoided it like the plague, also rattling around when I started was Double Diamond, Christ, beer drinking was shit back then !

By 18 we were drinking Youngs Special and King and Barnes in the Wine Lodge and Thieves Kitchen though weren’t we Veg... I think they also did Flowers.

First up for me at about 15 was Watneys Red and Ben Truman... Watneys changed the name in 1972, dropping the Barrel and serving a sweeter brew.... agreed it was still shit though.

My first pint was 17p I think but it soon SOARED to 20p two years later in the Montague in Worthing.

‘When it goes above ten Bob a pint I’m out’ ............

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1973. Mill House, Mill Lane, Portslade, a pint of Watney's Special. 17p.

For music nights at that time (different mojo):

Whisky and ginger in the Hungry Years

Vodka and lime at the Dome

I was 14/15. Amazing how much fresh face can be hidden under a tangle of hair and an army great coat (collar up).

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think we must have rubbed shoulders in the past [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION], I drank in these boozers, circa 75-86ish frequently. Also, the Spaniard before it closed, and Friday and Saturday nights in the Marine, then onto the Carioca, or Bubbles.

I think we all know each other...
Got barred with little Nige from The Carioca in 1982 .... Can’t remember why now... Probably one of The Clifton lads misbehaving.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
1973. Mill House, Mill Lane, Portslade, a pint of Watney's Special. 17p.

For music nights at that time (different mojo):

Whisky and ginger in the Hungry Years

Vodka and lime at the Dome

I was 14/15. Amazing how much fresh face can be hidden under a tangle of haor and an army great coat (collar up).

How can you remember the price you old codger? All I can remember about Mill House was the Landlord Rick Darymple.....put free peanuts on the bar and covered them in salt so you would drink more...

Drove past a few months ago after a memory trip up Foredown drive and the Mill House has gone.....when did that happen?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How can you remember the price you old codger? All I can remember about Mill House was the Landlord Rick Darymple.....put free peanuts on the bar and covered them in salt so you would drink more...

Drove past a few months ago after a memory trip up Foredown drive and the Mill House has gone.....when did that happen?

I knew the price of everthing back then. :lolol:

And yet.....Andy Maidlow and I got through 20 bags of crisps between us, one night in there. (And two pints of Special. Priorities.)

The pub was demolished a few years ago. Rather sad. Someone posted on here that it had become a weaselly drug den, sadly.

So, what will you do now they have binned our football? Helping Phil with his allotment? ???

:cheers::lolol::bigwave:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think we all know each other...
Got barred with little Nige from The Carioca in 1982 .... Can’t remember why now... Probably one of The Clifton lads misbehaving.

I can’t believe the Clifton boys would misbehave:whistle:

My local was the Ham in East Worthing, I was a regular in there for about 15 years. Charrington IPA was the beverage Of choice in there.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can’t believe the Clifton boys would misbehave:whistle:

My local was the Ham in East Worthing, I was a regular in there for about 15 years. Charrington IPA was the beverage Of choice in there.

I’m just round the corner from there.... It’s not like it was in its hey day. I have the occasional Guinness in there whilst waiting for my curry over Eshna’s. If you were a Ham boy we definitely know each other.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I knew the price of everthing back then. :lolol:

And yet.....Andy Maidlow and I got through 20 bags of crisps between us, one night in there. (And two pints of Special. Priorities.)

The pub was demolished a few years ago. Rather sad. Someone posted on here that it had become a weaselly drug den, sadly.

So, what will you do now they have binned our football? Helping Phil with his allotment? ???

:cheers::lolol::bigwave:

God no .......allotments are another old mans hobby....typical for [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION].....

Had to go shopping today.....first time I have done that on a saturday in a long long time.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Courage best or Watneys best. Boy, didn't I switch to that nice fizzy Watneys Red Barrel when it came out though! Oh the ignorance of youth!

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Shandy dont even know what piss they mixed with the lemonade. You boys sit in the corner and any trouble you are out on your ear. Sawdust on the floor. The Hollingbury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here