Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Happened to my Thread?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Read an interesting article recently about trends in comedy.

We went from Political Correctness to I guess some kind of Post Modern, Ironic Un Political Correctness, which I guess the "new lad" culture was connected to, as well as the emergence of younger but more traditional comedians like Frank Skinner.

There now seems to be a trend where comedians are just trying to be offensive, for "effect" if you like. They throw that out into the audience and see who laughs and who doesn't.

There is a female comedian on the circuit, who I have a problem with.

She makes jokes about poor people and the working class.

Why should I find that offensive ?

I don't, Christ we all make jokes like all the time....

What I find offensive about it is that you're usually sitting in a room with a lot of pissed, relatively wealthy, young Londoners having a good old laugh at those less well off than them.

So the guess with any comedy you can't separate the audience in terms of guaging whether it is offensive or not.

I watched a stand up show the other day on television where the comedian made jokes about starving African children. I didn't find that offensive, it just wasn't funny.

Something along the lines of why should I send the child a pound, they don't use pounds there. You see not exactly side splitting, and not particular offensive.

But in my view the comedian was using it because his material was weak, and he wanted to create a reaction.

Wozza said:
it's clear that many of the negative comments are/were from people using the issue to have a pop at me (I mean, how f***ing cheap is that?), or from users who simply THINK they should be offended.

Based on their previous postings on NSC, many of these same people would almost certainly laugh (albeit guiltily) at near-to-the-knuckle jokes from extreme comedians like Sadowitz and Manning.

Indeed, if I wanted to 'out' the most hypocritical and sanctimonious ***** on NSC, I doubt if I could have come up with a better concept.

I think you're being paranoid, Woz.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Wozza said:
Although the idea was (obviously?) to mock the dumbass England players seen in an unusual, serious environment - and not, in any way, the victims of the holocaust - I do appreciate that the thread upset some people, so I won't attempt to defend it.

Isn't this defending it?

I am with LI and your original intentions. I thought the (obvious) idea of mocking overpaid dumbass footballers is something often practised on this site and was not offended. Their 'dignified' visit is so clearly out of line with their usual behaviour as presented by the tabloids that it was an obvious target.

Mocking the Holocaust and its victims is clearly out of order, but this wasn't it, IMO.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
They went to auswitz to embibe the New Victim culture that the left are trying to graft onto this country.

It needs ridicule, stupid political stunts dont belong in sport.

Wozza was right.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Comedians should try to be funny before they decide to get political. No fucker is going to tell me what is or is not funny or what or what I cant make jokes about.

If you dont like it its a matter of taste, breeding and yes moral veiw point. But to try to prevent it because it "offends" you has absolutley no moral basis.
If someone offends you put them on ignore, improve your time on NSC by putting a limit on your own freedom instead of trying to impose a limit on everybody else.

m20gull said:
So you're scared by this new Wozza-Looney-London Irish Axis then?

It's not bad, but I think if we ever came up against the Gareth Glover-Tom Hark-Safeway axis, we'd be well SHITTING ourselves.

Tom Hark said:
Respect to Wozza tho for, as you say, not defending a rare error of judgement and taking it on the chin. Nice one fella :clap:

Oh Tom :lolol: Let's face it, you're just the betting tips away from a 100% transformation, aren't you?

clapham_gull said:
Read an interesting article recently about trends in comedy.

We went from Political Correctness to I guess some kind of Post Modern, Ironic Un Political Correctness, which I guess the "new lad" culture was connected to, as well as the emergence of younger but more traditional comedians like Frank Skinner.

There now seems to be a trend where comedians are just trying to be offensive, for "effect" if you like. They throw that out into the audience and see who laughs and who doesn't.

There is a female comedian on the circuit, who I have a problem with.

She makes jokes about poor people and the working class.

Why should I find that offensive ?

I don't, Christ we all make jokes like all the time....

What I find offensive about it is that you're usually sitting in a room with a lot of pissed, relatively wealthy, young Londoners having a good old laugh at those less well off than them.

So the guess with any comedy you can't separate the audience in terms of guaging whether it is offensive or not.

I watched a stand up show the other day on television where the comedian made jokes about starving African children. I didn't find that offensive, it just wasn't funny.

Something along the lines of why should I send the child a pound, they don't use pounds there. You see not exactly side splitting, and not particular offensive.

But in my view the comedian was using it because his material was weak, and he wanted to create a reaction.

Great post, but way too good for this thread.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I bet the comedian in question was Jimmy Carr.

Some of his jokes include:

"Small boy in Africa walks 10 miles to nearest well. Move"

"People in Africa could live on £3 for a whole month..I think we are being overcharged in this country"

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
LI - This obsession with me is getting quite worrying quite frankly.??? :ohmy: :p

Even the same post within 6 minutes, you guys! The NSC twins :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Time to own up Tom Hark and Gareth Glover are the same person.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tom

Vanessa Mae, Nicole Kidman now Tom Hark and Gareth Glover have their very own stalker. We've hit the big time now .

Is it time to alert the police yet do you think ?.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: ???

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
I've been giving this whole thread more thought than is probably healthy and I have come to the following conclusions.

Wozza's intentions were honourable but the misjudgement lies in the fact that a caption competition, rather than making any clear statement, leaves the way open for captions/comments from people that are bound to be offensive on such a sensitive subject (read some of them if you doubt me on this).

The line between what is funny and what isn't is impossible to define as it is purely based on an individuals viewpoint so 'double standards' in terms of moderation as to what gets censored and what doesn't can't really be proven. The standards aren't necessarily 'double', they are the standards of the individual moderator(s).

JBH did a good job on bringing this debate out into the open and my pop at London Irish was based on what I percieved to be an unfair slating of JBH and everyone else (par Chappers) on NSP. I had a go at Bozzer for the same thing when he generalised about everyone who posts on NSP and LI's 'Jim Davidson Fan Club' jibe was below him I thought.

What the England players did was a fine gesture that they should be applauded for rather than having the piss taken out of them. So what if they are part of the Met Bar culture and are overpaid celebreties? They are still human, and more importantly, role models for a generation of youngsters who may have never even heard of the holocuast before.

I'm going to have a lie down now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Richie Morris said:
I bet the comedian in question was Jimmy Carr.

Some of his jokes include:

"Small boy in Africa walks 10 miles to nearest well. Move"

"People in Africa could live on £3 for a whole month..I think we are being overcharged in this country"

Wasn't Jimmy Carr, but someone very similiar, don't know his name though.

Find Jimmy Carr quite funny actually. This guy was making jokes about starving kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here