Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is the best (and worst) line in football commentary you have ever witnessed?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Don’t know.

But I’ve often thought that famous Beckham free kick against Greece deserved a really poetic, and subsequently famous piece of commentary, and it didn’t get it at all.

I can’t remember the last time a modern commentator delivered a real cracker, they just aren’t as good. I’m not even sure it’s what they say, but it’s how they say it. I’m all for diversity and inclusion in literally every other industry, but in football commentary I need to hear an old, posh white man tell me what has just happened. And they don’t really get the gigs anymore.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Don't know.

But I’ve often thought that famous Beckham free kick against Greece deserved a really poetic, and subsequently famous piece of commentary, and it didn’t get it at all.

I can’t remember the last time a modern commentator delivered a real cracker, they just aren’t as good. I’m not even sure it’s what they say, but it’s how they say it. I’m all for diversity and inclusion in literally every other industry, but in football commentary I need to hear an old, posh white man tell me what has just happened. And they don’t really get the gigs anymore.
The last modern cracker is Gary Neville making sex noises.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don’t know.

Possibly because we drew at home, to Greece.

Add the fact that Backham had planted 34 previous sighters on Row Z.

The tension had gone, and we'd have walked though the play-offs.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Best is probably Martin Tyler "Agueroooooooo"

And then Merson in the Studio "they're all cuddling each other, theyve got lovebites and everything"

NSC viewer

Apr 26, 2022
When two players from the same team both go to head the ball and get in each other’s way and the commentator says “two players going for the same ball there”

I always think surely all 22 players are going for the same ball

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They'll be dancing on the streets of Inter Cable Tel tonight!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here