Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What will you be ‘panic buying’ tomorrow morning?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m no better than anyone else, nor have I ever tried to be.

But you still have no comment to make about all the bull about Europe shutting their borders when in reality they are all suffering from this new strain and the only reason it’s prevalent in the UK is because we are well ahead of the curve in our ability to research it.

Don’t bother replying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They can. It isn't just the French. There are about 15 different countries refusing to allow ferries and flights from the UK.
The 48 hours is to get a Covid check and if negative, then people can travel.

Edit to add it isn't just European countries.

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/art...an-uk-flights-to-fend-off-new-covid-19-strain

[tweet]1340980274583269376[/tweet]

But you still have no comment to make about all the bull about Europe shutting their borders when in reality they are all suffering from this new strain and the only reason it’s prevalent in the UK is because we are well ahead of the curve in our ability to research it.

Don’t bother replying.

I specifically pointed out it wasn’t just Europe by posting a map of worldwide countries banning flights from Britain.

Go pick on someone else.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
336989D1-D2EA-402E-80E0-438864C5CC06.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Don’t bother replying.

What makes you think the UK is well ahead of the curve with research? Interested to know this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tescos at Holmbush was pretty busy at 8pm tonight. The pasta was flying off the shelves, UHT milk going too so some stockpiling but generally the baskets were Christmas food shops.

However, I stocked up on tins, pasta, rice, sauces, cereal just in case. It's all going to be eaten eventually.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
For all those who want to slag off the UK (i.e. using the border shutdown and linking to Brexit), you should be aware that the UK has the most advanced genome sequencing capabilities in the world.

The reason why we are able to identify the new strain is because we have the skills to do it. Most of the rest of Europe either can’t or doesn’t do it.

This is rubbish. Everyone knows the evil Tories invented the new strain to get back at the EU over Brexit. This incompetent island could never do anything without the help of the EU, we've left the EMA now so we're at the back of the queue for vaccines and they'll be more expensive because the EU has a market of 500million, I know because I read it on NSC!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This is rubbish. Everyone knows the evil Tories invented the new strain to get back at the EU over Brexit. This incompetent island could never do anything without the help of the EU, we've left the EMA now so we're at the back of the queue for vaccines and they'll be more expensive because the EU has a market of 500million, I know because I read it on NSC!
You are Enrest and I claim my £5.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

While clearly the shaggy haired pillock is not to blame for the mutation. The absolute shambles that is Track and Trace is down to him. If this new outbreak gets out of hand the Tracing system or lack of it will be a contributory factor...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tescos at Holmbush was pretty busy at 8pm tonight. The pasta was flying off the shelves, UHT milk going too so some stockpiling but generally the baskets were Christmas food shops.

However, I stocked up on tins, pasta, rice, sauces, cereal just in case. It's all going to be eaten eventually.

It will - we're only just getting to the bottom of our pasta, rice and tinned tomatoes stockpile from earlier this year.

In fact Tesco Durrington still has loads of slightly strangely-branded pasta heavily-reduced from when they sourced a load of stuff to deal with the March/April wave of panic-buying that arrived just as people started to chill the **** out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What makes you think the UK is well ahead of the curve with research? Interested to know this.

For once, I actually agree with him (it has to be a he) on this. The UK actually has 'world-beating' universities, which means that its scientists are at the forefront of identifying new strains of the virus.
Now what was it that the scientific community and UK universities had to say about the biggest policy decision the UK has taken for about a century?

So, back to your question, it was, it currently is, but it won't be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For once, I actually agree with him (it has to be a he) on this. The UK actually has 'world-beating' universities, which means that its scientists are at the forefront of identifying new strains of the virus.
Now what was it that the scientific community and UK universities had to say about the biggest policy decision the UK has taken for about a century?

So, back to your question, it was, it currently is, but it won't be.

Fair enough. It was a genuine question as genomic sequencing is not niche these days, in fact it’s a huge industry in the private sector. Just curious what has set the UK out as a world leader.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
While clearly the shaggy haired pillock is not to blame for the mutation. The absolute shambles that is Track and Trace is down to him. If this new outbreak gets out of hand the Tracing system or lack of it will be a contributory factor...

Bumblec*nt-mutant-beige-Womble knew about mutant strain via the WHO in September apparently, data was presented in November. didn't do anything untul 19th December. . . .

https://www.who.int/csr/don/21-december-2020-sars-cov2-variant-united-kingdom/en/

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Please remind me again. How the feck do you stockpile lettuce?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d always been planning to do my Xmas shopping today. To avoid the queues, I was done by 06:50 at ASDA Hollingbury. Not that busy there, 3 tills open and mostly staff collecting delivery orders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here