Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which manager's appointment made you MOST excited?

which managerial appointment made you most excited when they were apppointed?

• Gus Poyet

Votes: 49 44.5%
  • Russell Slade

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Micky Adams (2nd time)

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Dean Wilkins

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Mark Mcghee

• Steve Coppell

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Martin Hinshelwood

• Peter Taylor

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Micky Adams (1st time)

• Jeff Wood

• Brian Horton

• Steve Gritt

• Jimmy Case

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Liam Brady

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • Barry Lloyd

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Micky Adams 2 was very exciting...at the time

This and I rememver sitting in Stanstead Airport with [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] and him telling me it was a big mistake. oooh how he was right and I was wrong

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
NONE. The only two exciting appointments (at the time) were Brian Clough (recent League winners and European Cup semi-finalists and all that) and Alan Mullery (Ex England Captain). The whole of your list were ok at best - others like Tinselhead were a f***ing Dick Tight joke.

Last edited:

From the list it's Poyet and Brady for me, I was never keen on Micky Adams but you can't knock his achievements here during the first spell. I worried when he was re-appointed.
Going back further, Clough and Taylor are my all time no.1's. Big respect always to Peter Taylor for staying after BC went to Leeds, and laying the foundations for Mullery and all that fun in the late 70's. I wonder how we'd have gone under PT if he'd given it another season and hadn't resigned in '76?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
From the list it's Poyet and Brady for me, I was never keen on Micky Adams but you can't knock his achievements here during the first spell. I worried when he was re-appointed.
Going back further, Clough and Taylor are my all time no.1's. Big respect always to Peter Taylor for staying after BC went to Leeds, and laying the foundations for Mullery and all that fun in the late 70's. I wonder how we'd have gone under PT if he'd given it another season and hadn't resigned in '76?

In my view, Peter Taylor did what he was best at - assembled a group of players. Mullery was able to "do the Brian Clough bit" and get the best out of them playing as a team.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
This and I rememver sitting in Stanstead Airport with [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] and him telling me it was a big mistake. oooh how he was right and I was wrong

[MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] was actually right about something :mad:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I went for Brady because (at the time) that was such a sexxxxxy appointment. Only reason I recall be underwhelmed by Gus was because of the Wise (who I think is a Gold Medal Olympic Twat) connection.

As it happens Brady was less than mediocre and Gus may just be destined for greatness

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
NONE. The only two exciting appointments (at the time) were Brian Clough (recent European Cup winner and all that) and Alan Mullery (Ex England Captain). The whole of your list were ok at best - others like Tinselhead were a f***ing Dick Tight joke.

think you'll find that Cloughie won the European Cup at Forest AFTER he left us.

For me it was Liam Brady. Couldn't believe that my favourite player of the late seventies was coming to US!!!!!!!! Oooooooooooooooooohhh you wouldn't believe how excited I was! (In fact I still have a picture of him at home in a BHA tracksuit top)

This was going to be 1978 all over again!

In my view, Peter Taylor did what he was best at - assembled a group of players. Mullery was able to "do the Brian Clough bit" and get the best out of them playing as a team.

Fair enough view imo. I remember Taylor as being very patient and developed players whereas AM certainly wasn't the former. The Chairman's chequebook was much more in evidence during Mullery's tenure and the general largesse at the time, as someone (El Pres) posted earlier today, did book us on the coach to Tongdean Lane.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
think you'll find that Cloughie won the European Cup at Forest AFTER he left us.

For me it was Liam Brady. Couldn't believe that my favourite player of the late seventies was coming to US!!!!!!!! Oooooooooooooooooohhh you wouldn't believe how excited I was! (In fact I still have a picture of him at home in a BHA tracksuit top)

This was going to be 1978 all over again!

Yes, but he went pretty close with Derby, getting to the European Cup semi final 6 months before starting at Brighton - so his appointment was certainly no.1 for me

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
NONE. The only two exciting appointments (at the time) were Brian Clough (recent League winners and European Cup semi-finalists and all that) and Alan Mullery (Ex England Captain). The whole of your list were ok at best - others like Tinselhead were a f***ing Dick Tight joke.

This!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
For me, definitely Brian Horton. Albion legend and good managerial credentials. Guaranteed we weren't going to be forever fighting a battle to stay in the league. Gutted when he left.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here