Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Everton are in 11th. They have Pickford.
Saints 12th, they have McCarthy
Newcastle 14th, Dubravka.

Also, outside the top 6? Leno? Henderson? Pope??

Everton fans regularly criticise Pickford. McCarthy wasn't even Southampton's first choice at the start of the season. Dubravka is decent but still makes mistakes.

Henderson is a top five keeper as he is owned by Manchester United. Pope and Leno are very good.

But all this is irrelevant as, if some of you got your way and we made the decision to sell Ryan, we wouldn't be able to sign any of them to replace him. And the point of selling Ryan is surely to get a better keeper in who we can afford

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The club may look strategically, but I look a season ahead at the very most.

If next season Potter plays him in the first team, I have faith in that.

Of course, any first 11 other than $$$$ Real Madrid, Bayern and ManC would improve by upgrading any first teamer in an ideal world. Can we afford an ACM upgrade on Propper, is it a priority for us in this summer window where we’ll have far less money to spend?

Obviously comes down to money and who you can attract

The question was who has a future , and I think as a squad player yes , but we need a better starter if we want to make top 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9410439]Some people on here are so deluded, I was watching Propper today and thinking - shit we're lucky to have him. Yes he made a mistake today, and he's made others, but the good faaaaaar outways the bad.

Describe this immense performance for those of us who didn’t see it

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9410439 said:
Some people on here are so deluded, I was watching Propper today and thinking - shit we're lucky to have him. Yes he made a mistake today, and he's made others, but the good faaaaaar outways the bad.

96 app, goals 2, assists?

Yep I'm so ****ing deluded :moo:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
1 Goal
2 Assists
1,711 passes
2,166 touches
28 Shots
63 Tackles
31 Clearances

But other than these hasn't contributed at all.

JFC had big stats

He was shit

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It’s actually very relevant.

If we want to be a top 10 club, we would naturally have players of that level. Lamptey, for example, is going to interest top 10 clubs.

GP, whether he wanted to or not wouldn’t have been in a position to replace Matty this season, so that’s not a marker. But next season will be interesting and I’ll watch with great interest to see if he makes any moves for a keeper.

I see you carefully ignore the rest of my post. It is pretty clear you have an agenda for some reason so there is no point in arguing. Either way, goalkeeper is clearly not a position we should be prioritising to improve over the summer. There are clearly bigger priorities

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I would caution against getting rid of any of the players mentioned - the Brighton squad is small by PL standards and is also quite young. Most of the players being mentioned are experienced players and there is a danger of ending up with a squad of younger players without experienced heads to bring them along and act as mentors. There is also the possibility that one of the top 6 teams comes in looking for Dunk - he is a good defender and they are not easy to find - if ManU spend £80million on Maguire then there could be a big cheque dangled for Dunk and it would be very hard to stop him leaving.

It is clear where the team needs upgrading - but in my view that should be done in addition to keeping the players that are here and expanding the squad. If you want to progress you need to build up a good squad of players and try and have a gradual turnover as certain players get more experience.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
1 Goal
2 Assists
1,711 passes
2,166 touches
28 Shots
63 Tackles
31 Clearances

But other than these hasn't contributed at all.

All those touches

1 goal

2 assists

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Propper has a future here. I don't think Stephens does.

I love Duffy but I think he'll be forced out by the returning White.

I don't think Jahanbakhsh or Murray will still be here next season if we can find replacements for them.

Personally I'm also not convinced about Gross but I don't see him moving on for now.

Pascal Groß was SUPERB tonight. (Until he ran out of steam)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would caution against getting rid of any of the players mentioned - the Brighton squad is small by PL standards and is also quite young. Most of the players being mentioned are experienced players and there is a danger of ending up with a squad of younger players without experienced heads to bring them along and act as mentors. There is also the possibility that one of the top 6 teams comes in looking for Dunk - he is a good defender and they are not easy to find - if ManU spend £80million on Maguire then there could be a big cheque dangled for Dunk and it would be very hard to stop him leaving.

It is clear where the team needs upgrading - but in my view that should be done in addition to keeping the players that are here and expanding the squad. If you want to progress you need to build up a good squad of players and try and have a gradual turnover as certain players get more experience.

Of course, you win nothing with kids as someone famously once said...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I see you carefully ignore the rest of my post. It is pretty clear you have an agenda for some reason so there is no point in arguing. Either way, goalkeeper is clearly not a position we should be prioritising to improve over the summer. There are clearly bigger priorities

I didn’t ignore what you said. You mean regards the budget? I responded that GP wasn’t in a position to replace Matty mid season. But will be different at the end, so we’ll see.

No “agenda” here buddy, I just think we can do better in goal. I want us to do better. Ditto Dale and Proper, nothing personal, but they’re not top tier players in my opinion. Sorry.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Proper is slow , no goals , no assists and far too casual

He’s not our future

That's what people once said about Michael Carrick, they were wrong too. All Propper needs is a decent defensive midfielder alongside him.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If Villa go down who from their team would we take (assuming they have to do a fire sale due to the money they spent). I would be interested in Heaton and John Mcginn though I suspect they might be on better money.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Everton fans regularly criticise Pickford. McCarthy wasn't even Southampton's first choice at the start of the season. Dubravka is decent but still makes mistakes.

Henderson is a top five keeper as he is owned by Manchester United. Pope and Leno are very good.

But all this is irrelevant as, if some of you got your way and we made the decision to sell Ryan, we wouldn't be able to sign any of them to replace him. And the point of selling Ryan is surely to get a better keeper in who we can afford

I wouldn't sell Ryan even if a better keeper comes in - he is a decent keeper and you need more than one. You are right - it is unlikely that you would get a PL starter from any of the other PL teams and several PL teams will be looking to upgrade. Saying that - unless a lot of money is spent on a replacement for Ryan - you still need to bring in competition for him. I posted this on the other thread - but it is probably more appropriate here.

Going to throw a name out - Caoimhin Kelleher of Liverpool - 21 year-old Irish keeper that Liverpool like a lot. I have seen him playing a few times and he is very good and improving - and the one thing that stands out for me is his consistency. He is still learning but rarely makes the same mistake twice. With Adrian as the back-up, Liverpool could well look at giving him some experience as a loanee and I think he is good enough to play in the PL.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
That's what people once said about Michael Carrick, they were wrong too. All Propper needs is a decent defensive midfielder alongside him.

Which he now has with Bissouma. That pairing will be quality alongside Mac Allister. Very exciting times ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here